Company of the Great Wolf

AdeptiCon 2016 will be held March 31st - April 3rd, 2016 at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention enter. Visit the AdeptiCon website (http://www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

Company of the Great Wolf

Postby cjputrich » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:41 pm

With the new book, Curse of the Wulfen, coming out before the 2/28 cut off, does this negate the prior Champions of Fenris supplement, specifically the Company of the Great Wolf detachment?

My thought is using the CoF supplement (and all detachments / formations within) would still be okay since this new book seems to just add more formations. Wanted to ask to be safe though.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Re: Company of the Great Wolf

Postby cjputrich » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:07 am

So, now with the book on hand, the following would appear to be accurate:

1) Champions of Fenris and included Company of the Great Wolf Detachment are NOT nullified by Curse of the Wulfen

2) Curse of the Wulfen updates Iron Priests in points, war gear options, and force org slot (now HQ)

3) Due to change in force org, it is no longer possible to run an entirely TWC/Fenrisian wolves army list

If I've missed something please let me know. Otherwise, major miss by GW to not have the new Deathwolves formation be more TWC focused (limit of 1 unit...come on man!!?!?!)
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby Brokenpixel » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:09 pm

Who has the new White Dwarf?

"This week White Dwarf apparently says you can choose to use the new datasheet or the old one for your Iron Priests. The Curse of the Wulfen states it's a replacement datasheet so no idea which takes precedence."- I've seen this in a few places, and Frankie and Reece mention in in episode 410 @ 34:20 mark. They say its a new version, and it states you can take either, or, or both.
Brokenpixel

Postby cjputrich » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Hmm, that's interesting. I bypassed that page in the White Dwarf because I figured the new book was all I needed to care about rules wise. The white dwarf does indeed give you and either/or/and option though.

I really hoping that's how the TO rules it. Looks like I will have to send an email barring an official Adepticon response on this thread.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby Nurglecron » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:23 am

It's tricky, but I think the Elites version is just gone gone.

-The WD says that you can use either the WD version (HQ) or the Codex version (Elites)
-The CotW Supplement says that it's version (HQ) replaces the Codex version (Elites)
-So you can use the WD version (HQ) or the Codex version (HQ from Supplement that replaced the Elites version)

TOs might rule differently but I would err on the side of them being gone.
Nurglecron

Postby cjputrich » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:56 am

Thanks Nurglecron - I'm thinking so to (planning on them being gone). I think I'm actually okay with that the more I've thought about it though. It's gonna force me to paint models I wasn't planning on, but I can throw down 2 scout squads to satisfy the two elite slots I need and those guys can actually camp on objectives while the TWC/fenrisians go and (hopefully) smash face.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby JPA » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:03 pm

You guys are missing one major point though, there is a new space wolf codex out. Yes it's the wulfen edition but it has new rules, formations, etc... The wulfen edition only has the Iron Priests as hqs.

The new codex makes me personally feel the Iron Priests are only HQ's now and that the old wolf codex in invalid. However I also think the whole thing a mess for wolf players.
JPA

Postby cjputrich » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:59 pm

The actual Space Wolves Codex is not invalid not is this a "Wulfen edition". The Wulfen book says specifically it is providing updates and to be used alongside the actual Codex. You could not field a Space Wolves army with just the information in Curse of the Wulfen. For example, other than formations and the new data sheets for iron priest, Krom, ulrik, and the Wulfen themselves, there are no other unit entries for Space Wolves in this book.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby Nurglecron » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:11 pm

cjputrich wrote:The actual Space Wolves Codex is not invalid not is this a "Wulfen edition". The Wulfen book says specifically it is providing updates and to be used alongside the actual Codex. You could not field a Space Wolves army with just the information in Curse of the Wulfen. For example, other than formations and the new data sheets for iron priest, Krom, ulrik, and the Wulfen themselves, there are no other unit entries for Space Wolves in this book.

There is, however, an eBook that is Codex Space Wolves Wulfen Edition, which is just the Space Wolves codex with the new updates:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-4 ... ulfen.html

Which is a full codex that you can field by itself, and lists Iron Priests as HQs.

Really this whole thing was just a massive screw up logistically.
Nurglecron

Postby cjputrich » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:37 pm

Ugh.....how on earth do they release digital content that does not match the name of the physical copies? Why not just, I don't know, refresh the digital content they had!? So frustrating.

I guess based on that I stand corrected on the whole "Wulfen Edition" piece and that, for me at least, confirms that Iron Priests are now exclusively HQ and whatever White Dwarf editor thought it was okay to include that statement in the WD should be fired for his/her stupidity. Yea, I went there : )

This should not be that difficult GW.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby Brokenpixel » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:48 pm

I disagree, This new HQ Iron Priest isn't replacing the elite Iron Priest, He is the SW equivalent to the Master of the Forge (HQ Techmarine of every Space Marine chapter has). The mistake GW made was not giving him a Name, i.e. Ulrik. That is why he is in Grimnar's War Counsel. The chief librarian (Njal), Eldest Wolf Priest (Ulrik), Chapter Master (Logan), and now the new Master of the Forge (unnamed).
Brokenpixel

Postby Brokenpixel » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:02 pm

Ok I picked up the Curse of the Wulfen. While I am wrong, it is clear that this replaces the old Iron Priest, I don't see why we can't make the HQ the Master of the Forge. He has increased stats and increased points. All I'm saying, is there should be both in 1 codex.
Brokenpixel

Return to AdeptiCon 2016