Allied Formations?

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Allied Formations?

Postby Lord Baerion » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:47 am

Question regarding building a Battle-forged army using a Combined Arms Detachment and a Formation.

In a Combined Arms detachment I can bring any number of formations as long as I meet the original requirements of 1 HQ and 2 Troops and they all have the same faction correct?

Assuming the above is correct, can I then ally a formation to this CAD? For example - could I bring a Dark Angels CAD and then Ally a formation of Space Marines? To give a specific example:

CAD:
Librarian
5 Marines
5 Marines
Ravenwing Support Squadron Formation

Allies:
1st Company Strike Force Formation

Would this be a legal list?
Lord Baerion

Re: Allied Formations?

Postby seahawk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Yes and no.

Your CAD would consist of the Librarian and two Marine squads. Each formation is its own special detachment, and is not part of any other detachment. Your example would therefore look more like this:

CAD:
Librarian
5 Marines
5 Marines

Formation Detachment:
Ravenwing Support Squadron

Formation Detachment:
1st Company Strike Force

As far as terminology goes, here is the breakdown:

An Army is either Unbound or Battleforged.
- An Unbound army can take any units and any Formations, but not any other type of Detachment.
- A Battleforged army is purely made up of Detachments, whether they are a CAD, Allied Detachment, Formation Detachment, Codex Detachment, etc.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Re: Allied Formations?

Postby Lord Baerion » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:00 pm

This was a good lesson.

Coming from fantasy primarily this way of army building has been hard to get to grips with.
Lord Baerion

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)