750 Mirkwood -- Leong 2015

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

750 Mirkwood -- Leong 2015

Postby JLeong » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Merry Christmas, everybody!

I figured I would float this list out there to see what you all thought. I've been painting up my Mirkwood army since last year, and I finally have all my Mirkwood Rangers done. I'll be adding some new armored elves with those shiny new glaives, but before I make the investment (sizable investment as it is), I thought I might hear your thoughts.

Mirkwood 750 Points

Thranduil, King of Mirkwood, armor and elf bow (old version)
10 Mirkwood Rangers
2 Mirkwood Elves with Elven Glaives

Tauriel
10 Mirkwood Rangers
2 Mirkwood Elves with Elven Glaives

Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood (Orcrist version)
12 Mirkwood Elves with Elven Glaives

39 models 745 points

Lots of named heroes here, but I just don't think the captains are worth it, especially when I don't think I could get any more models out of this list.

What I am really worried about is enemy shooting. The spearmen could absorb shots and provide line-of-sight blocking to the Mirkwood Rangers (thanks, elven cloaks), but when the lines meet, I think I'd rather have to maneuver them to the rear.
I like the glaives. I have never used 2-h weapons en mass before (if ever, really). I have always sought to avoid them.
I think I might give it a try here. I should be able to control who gets into combat given Thranduil's terror.
Nature's Wrath helps fight cavalry, especially if Legolas takes out enemy heroes.
I am hoping the Knife Fighter rule helps me fight bigger battle-lines. I really wish I could take a banner!

My main concerns:

1. Is the army too squishy?
2. Too small?
3. Will using too many Elven Glaives as 2-h weapons come back to bite me?
4. Should I take shield elves instead?

Thanks!
JLeong

Re: 750 Mirkwood -- Leong 2015

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:18 pm

Since those glaives also count as spears, coupled with the ability to support 2H weapons with a spear you should be fine. Your fighting line will be small, but the rangers are capable of handling themselves for a bit. Just make sure you get your heroes into action against soft targets and heroic fight your way through enemy models. Since bow fire is not as dangerous as it once was, I'd just use the rangers as flankers as normal and use their bows to help suppress opposing cavalry.

The new Thranduil doesn't have spell powers. He is a combat monster, but no spellcaster.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)