BOFA New Unit PDF For Model Stats

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

BOFA New Unit PDF For Model Stats

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:52 pm

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/P ... TFA_UK.pdf

I love Bolg, Thorin, Dwalin, and the new elves glaive rule is neat.

Unfortunately laketown guys suck haha.

Radagast on Eagle seems a bit OP considering the points cost. Nice balance against a wraith though.
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Re: BOFA New Unit PDF For Model Stats

Postby JLeong » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:27 pm

I actually picked up the paper copy today. I found it really interesting that we have "alternate" profiles for our heroes (a la "Boromir, Captain of the White Tower). The biggest upgrades (in my humble opinion) are Legolas and Saruman.
I always thought both of these models were under-priced, and the new rules for them, paired with their new abilities and points costs, are more fair in one case (Legolas) and still need adjustment in the other (Saruman).

Saruman's rerolls to cast come in at a 20 point addition, but I always thought his 4+ sorcerous blast would justify raising his cost at least to 160 (up from 150) to make him closer to evil Saruman.
It never made sense to me that the Palantir (post-Two Towers) cost 20 points at the expense of moving to 5+ sorcerous blast.
So the new "Saruman the Wise," feels a little underpriced still. Nevertheless-- cool rules!

Legolas with Orcrist is nice, and the extra point of Fight Value (to a whopping 7) is impressive. He also has gained an attack. His heftier points cost better reflects what he can do. If I didn't rely on (old).

New Elrond is my favorite. Elrond, Lord of the West indeed!

I have a rules question I'll be posting in the appropriate forum concerning The White Council list and allies.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with these stats.
JLeong

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:05 am

Yeah, I love the Legolas and Thranduil stat lines. 3 attacks at fight 7 are insane.

I do wish they would update some of the older models in a One Rulebook type of setting, though it will likely never happen.

A lot of these new units are super powerful.

But I do like them a lot. The Elven glaive is neat as well. spear, elf blade, and shield!? Lol Ill take some. Im already looking for glaives online to put on my Galadhrim hahaha

And Elrond is satisfying too. What a cool special rule to heroic strike every turn. Not always necessary, but a huge hero now.
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby griffen127 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Almost all of these figs don't fit the rings point cost system. They are broken and should be adjusted. This is not a discussion just a fact. If you have played the game it should be obvious. That said no one besides chris and I would take the time do that, so that is not happening.
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby JLeong » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Really, almost all? I would totally agree that Saruman is under-priced. The others seem fair to me, although I have not examined the Dwarves closely at all, if that is who you mean.
The evil heroes, the White Council, and Mirkwood seem more-or-less kosher to me.

I'm curious what your thoughts are. Maybe I'm not thinking of something.
JLeong

Postby BostonNazgul » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:00 am

i didnt see, but does legolas have a "fly a bat" special rule?
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:01 pm

It's a shame, there were so many cool looking things in the Bo5A. Too bad most will never get made or if they do, won't be affordable. I loved Dain and the Wild Boar.
BrentS

Postby griffen127 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:06 am

Not a boar. Boar have tusks, and a ridge of hair on the back. Also the tails are different. It's a pig. Wtf.
griffen127

Postby BrentS » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:27 am

griffen127 wrote:Not a boar. Boar have tusks, and a ridge of hair on the back. Also the tails are different. It's a pig. Wtf.

In a world of Dragons and Walking Trees, we can debate Boars and Pigs :D
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:44 am

looked like it could have been a black spot pig too, super tasty, killer fat
BostonNazgul

Postby griffen127 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:24 pm

After a battle they can kill the war pigs and make bacon for the victory party.
griffen127

Return to Lord of the Rings News