New Figures for BoTFA

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Re: New Figures for BoTFA

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Siegrend wrote:Oh Jamie, it's sad to hear you speak as such. You, who I understand is such a fan of LoTR and of this game. When I visit The Last Alliance or The One Ring sites, their enthusiasm doesn't wane, even in the face of a tsunami of Finecast releases. True, our brothers across the ocean have more fans of the game than we here in the U.S. but is the game dying here because there is no new blood or because the old blood chooses to stop playing the game because we're pissed at GW? This is a great game! War of the Ring is a great game if you can find someone willing to play it the way it was meant to be played. I would love new and improved models for my Rohirrim (oh the glory it would be!) but you know what, I still love this game even if I never get them. I know if I sold my LoTR collection off, I would be ever-mournful for that loss. Outside of the Shire, Harad, and Umbar I could field any army in War of the Ring, and I could never replace all that should I let it go now.

It's funny, I told my son the other day that if I had to get rid of all of my figure games (two 40K armies, two WarMaHorde armies, massive collection of Heroscape, and massive LoTR collection), I would let it all go and only keep my LoTR minis. I may tire of my Eldar someday, but never will I tire of spending a bit of time playing in Middle Earth.

It's up to us, not GW if we want to keep playing this game. The rules don't expire because they stop caring or releasing miniatures. If anyone really wanted to play a game, is it so impossible to find an opponent? If so, let me know. I'll gladly play. I live about a mile away from the old Chicago Bunker.

"I will not let the White City fall, or our people fail."

Im not trying to start an argument man, but its a combination of both. Yes we're pissed, and NO, GW doesnt care.

I came back to live in Chicagoland and started up on this hobby last year. In that time, ive found 2 people to play on an almost weekly basis. Usually every two.

Ive found another lets say 2 who can play once every few months.

Other than that, I know like half a dozen to play once a year. Its dead. In an area of 6 million people I cant find more than 2 regular players when I have a super flexible schedule. They failed their own system so nobody new wants in. We cant attract gamers with foot soldiers, who die every round cost over $8 a piece!! Its insane.

They are aiming that the game die down, and only collectors/painters continue with this stuff.
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby Siegrend » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:53 pm

No, no arguments dude. We're on the same page with our frustrations with GW. I would love for them to make more plastic models, re-sculpt some of the earlier plastics, and set reasonable prices to allow for new blood. But like you, I've come to the conclusion that GW doesn't care about this group of gamers. My post was more a plea for the old blood to not give up the game entirely. Yes, it would be great to have a horde of different opponents, but having just a handful is better than having none. If we all gave up and sold off our armies, we wouldn't play at all. I suppose I'm just jealous of the "zeal" this game maintains overseas and wish we could have the same here. I don't know, maybe it just comes down to effort on our parts to get other players to break out their old armies and remember how fun it was. Consistency may breed interest?

Anyway, I apologize if I offended anyone, particularly Jamie. I just don't want this game to die.
Even the very wise cannot see all ends...
Siegrend

Postby JLeong » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:20 am

Going to quickly plug the Red Top GW store-- there is a group of young college students that are picking up the torch for their area, and the shop seems to be moving quite a bit of LotR product.
Their league posted about gaming in the store in another thread!
If anyone is near the area and feels like a fun game, Drew and I were in town during thanksgiving and got in a very fun game with their group.

As far as my projects-- my Mirkwood army is finally 2/3rds painted, and I should be in Chicagoland for the summer, so I'll be looking for opponents to toughen up my new elves!

Drew has been working on new Erebor Dwarves, and he'll be in for the summer as well. It's a ways away, but hey guys-- long term here :lol:

I have to confess I'm disheartened by all the finecast models and the absurd pricing of Smaug especially, but I am really hoping for new plastic sets as the movie is released. There are models we have yet to see (especially evil models), so I have far from given up hope.

Not to guilt them, but I would be terribly broken-hearted to see our AWC founders fade out of the game haha
JLeong

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Siegrend wrote:No, no arguments dude. We're on the same page with our frustrations with GW. I would love for them to make more plastic models, re-sculpt some of the earlier plastics, and set reasonable prices to allow for new blood. But like you, I've come to the conclusion that GW doesn't care about this group of gamers. My post was more a plea for the old blood to not give up the game entirely. Yes, it would be great to have a horde of different opponents, but having just a handful is better than having none. If we all gave up and sold off our armies, we wouldn't play at all. I suppose I'm just jealous of the "zeal" this game maintains overseas and wish we could have the same here. I don't know, maybe it just comes down to effort on our parts to get other players to break out their old armies and remember how fun it was. Consistency may breed interest?

Anyway, I apologize if I offended anyone, particularly Jamie. I just don't want this game to die.

Oh, I agree. Im selling a large portion of what I have, but its all extra to make some money back. I wont be buying much else. Especially much new. But I still am completing old armies and will keep them for my children to learn this ancient system some day.

I have to admit even with prices though, Im looking forward to seeing what evil models are coming out. I love the new Bolg. Looks awesome.
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:41 pm

JLeong wrote:Going to quickly plug the Red Top GW store-- there is a group of young college students that are picking up the torch for their area, and the shop seems to be moving quite a bit of LotR product.
Their league posted about gaming in the store in another thread!

Hmm....anyway besides their facebook page I can get in touch? Mapquest says 51 mins from me and I already drive an hour +5 or so a week to play.

If they had a tournament or even a day promising several games, Im in.

SORRY FOR DOUBLE!
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby prion2001 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:21 am

No offense taken. I hate to see the game die as well and always felt I would continue to play regardless of the games future. I think I reached the point of accepting that the game is over as I had known it and was doing some soul searching. Reading the posts here reminded me of what I enjoy about the game and that is the people I've gotten to know while playing it. So, maybe there won't be lots of new blood but us "old timers" can still play the game we love.

Plus, I can't let down the young guys like Josh. :lol:

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Siegrend » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks for taking that in stride Jamie. All respect to you and everything you've done with AWC.

Frodo lives! :D
Even the very wise cannot see all ends...
Siegrend

Postby Smeagol » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:20 pm

I haven't gotten rid of a single LOTR figure, except as gifts to other players. I do not get the luxury of going out to play much anymore. I have started using the rules and figures to play dungeon crawls with my wife and daughter. My daughter is too young to grasp role-playing games conceptually much less understand the rules, but she loves playing the heroine thrashing her way through monsters and bad guys.

With the prices the way they are my purchases are way down. I stopped playing and buying 40K and WHFB a long time ago when the rules, players and prices became too cumbersome.
Smeagol

Previous

Return to Lord of the Rings News