New Figures for BoTFA

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

New Figures for BoTFA

Postby Siegrend » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Saw this link over on The Last Alliance site, thought you guys might be interested. A few letdowns here, but I won't spoil the disappointment by describing it before you see for yourselves. At least we get new figs!

http://www.beastsofwar.com/the-hobbit/w ... mer-times/
Even the very wise cannot see all ends...
Siegrend

Re: New Figures for BoTFA

Postby BrentS » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Link didn't work for me... maybe this one:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/the-hobbit/w ... mer-times/
BrentS

Postby JLeong » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Still excited. Vexed by finecast. GW why do you do this to me?
JLeong

Postby prion2001 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Again with the 3 figure blister for $25? Glad to see GW is trying to recruit new blood. :roll:

The finecast is strange as I don't think ANY new releases for 40k or Fantasy have been done in finecast, it's all been plastic. Can't help feeling like they really don't give two shits about the range. This December is their last chance to do something worthwhile with this game and IP. If they don't do a great box game like they have for 40k, at a price point that attracts new players, than I think it is the final sign that they have given up on the system. :(
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:09 pm

As far as Im concerned they gave up on the system when the initial movies got pushed from 2 to 3. They came out with 3 packs for $25. A warband costing $115(leader included) is not going to bring one new customer in no matter if the sculpts looked just like the movie characters or not. They changed their stance at that point in my opinion to go from pushing the range, to purposefully pushing people away so only collectors, die hards, and serious painters would purchase, thus lessening their responsibility to make more models, in type and unit, and to support this and give time and tables in their stores.

The business model of this company is insulting to a ridiculous extent, and I wont be making any purchases from this release, or the supposed rumored Dwarf release of Thorins company either.

Nothing in this set is worth the cost, and at this point, unless new evil models or Dwarves with brand new profiles come out, I am not going to spend a dollar at another Games Workshop again. Even then, I have to be wowed at model sculpting and profile which likely wont happen.

I can afford to buy plenty of these miniatures but the rising prices, lack of support, and lack of general give a damn attitude towards Lord of the Rings players at all leads me to choose to not buy, and leads me to not even step foot in a Games Workshop to play this game anymore unless its the only place a friend and I can manage to game. They have changed so much in ten years as a company its mind boggling.
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby griffen127 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:22 pm

The figs have been sitting in a warehouse for a couple years that's why thy are fine crap.
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby JLeong » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:48 am

They're up on the GW Site:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/The ... Web-Bundle

Here is the Mirkwood Army Bundle
JLeong

Postby JLeong » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 am

I have to say that the new Thranduil is a really great-looking model, but the hideous cost of these models will guarantee that he is the only one I pick up of this wave.
JLeong

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:12 pm

JLeong wrote:They're up on the GW Site:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/The ... Web-Bundle

Here is the Mirkwood Army Bundle

Yeah its $350 for a roughly Im guessing 650-800 pt army. Lmao.

Back at the beginning, you can get that army for $100. Insane the way its gone.

I was planning on getting Thranduil because I love the new one, then I saw they raised those units too.....
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby JLeong » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:55 pm

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/The ... orting=phl

Smaug is here! That model looks AMAZING.

It's a shame I will never own one.
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Wow, $490 is a lot of scratch.
BrentS

Postby prion2001 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:26 pm

So the internet was wrong about that $500 price tag. GW dropped it to $490. :roll:

I get the price for such a fantastic sculpt but they would never make a model for 40k or Fantasy that cost that. Yes, Forgeworld would, but that is not the "core" models you need to build an army. You can't generally use a Titan but you can use a Imperial Knight, which is considerably cheaper than a Forgeworld Titan. Forgeworld pieces are more "luxury" purchases. Worse to me is the Finecast blisters for $25. Those are not some stunning, one of a kind, sculpts worthy of an insane price tag. In my mind it's official....The Hobbit/LotR SBG is dead as a third core GW system. Probably has been but I've been holding out hope. Shame on me. Not saying it won't hang around but its clear they aren't trying to recruit players AT ALL.

I'm torn. I started collecting the LotR models years before playing and had intended that I would always have them as a fan of the Tolkien books. Part of me still wants to keep everything I have so that some day, like a historical gamer, I could run scenario games at shows or with friends since I'd have both sides of a battle. But I also think about all the other models and games I could buy (including the ones GW actually cares about) with the money made from selling everything.

:cry:

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:08 pm

dont worry, the armored thorins company is $190. 14 models....

and the laketown men bundle is $290 for 22 models....

epic fail
BostonNazgul

Postby Siegrend » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Oh Jamie, it's sad to hear you speak as such. You, who I understand is such a fan of LoTR and of this game. When I visit The Last Alliance or The One Ring sites, their enthusiasm doesn't wane, even in the face of a tsunami of Finecast releases. True, our brothers across the ocean have more fans of the game than we here in the U.S. but is the game dying here because there is no new blood or because the old blood chooses to stop playing the game because we're pissed at GW? This is a great game! War of the Ring is a great game if you can find someone willing to play it the way it was meant to be played. I would love new and improved models for my Rohirrim (oh the glory it would be!) but you know what, I still love this game even if I never get them. I know if I sold my LoTR collection off, I would be ever-mournful for that loss. Outside of the Shire, Harad, and Umbar I could field any army in War of the Ring, and I could never replace all that should I let it go now.

It's funny, I told my son the other day that if I had to get rid of all of my figure games (two 40K armies, two WarMaHorde armies, massive collection of Heroscape, and massive LoTR collection), I would let it all go and only keep my LoTR minis. I may tire of my Eldar someday, but never will I tire of spending a bit of time playing in Middle Earth.

It's up to us, not GW if we want to keep playing this game. The rules don't expire because they stop caring or releasing miniatures. If anyone really wanted to play a game, is it so impossible to find an opponent? If so, let me know. I'll gladly play. I live about a mile away from the old Chicago Bunker.

"I will not let the White City fall, or our people fail."
Even the very wise cannot see all ends...
Siegrend

Postby Cbalke » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:45 pm

WOW!!!
I have waited for a Smaug model since I started playing in 2007. I did not realize I would have to fill out a credit application and make monthly payments to buy one. Lamborghini prices for Chevy models.

As a fan boy of the game and the models, I do believe that GW has officially lost their freakin marbles. With the prices they charge for the models they have pretty much killed the game we all like. I have plenty of fully painted armies ready to see the table. However I can not in recruit new players. I would feel dirty!!!

It was a small circle of players in the US mostly divided by regions----West, Midwest, and East. I know they have huge groups in the UK that's great for them but in the US that does not concern me. IF the US players were all located in the state of Illinois, I am sure it still maintain its popularity.

I will gladly play a game that is both FUN and AFFORDABLE!!!! Bolt Action will get my money. GW will only get my money for some paints and washes.
Cbalke

Next

Return to Lord of the Rings News