Operation Sting - Results and Photos!

Forum for announcing, planning, and discussing upcoming Bolt Action Tournaments and Special Events.

Operation Sting - Results and Photos!

Postby BrentS » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Full coverage of Operation Sting on the Webpage:

http://operationstingtournament.wordpre ... rage-2014/
BrentS

Re: Operation Sting - Results and Photos!

Postby Cbalke » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:01 am

Looks great!!! Thanks for posting.
Cbalke

Postby old coast » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:10 pm

All three of the United States players place in the top 5!
I have not gotten to face the US yet, is the book seemingly overpowered vs other books?
I recall in the spring people where griping about the GB book being overpower because of the Airstrike and Army Wide special rules..
is it a similar thing?

Oh course its more likely both Jeff and Chris B have wargaming for years and know what they are doing!

Just curious to what you all think

Im working on my Germans right now so I am sure I will get taste soon enough :D
old coast

Postby Cbalke » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Maybe my opinion is biased but I don't think the U S are overpowered. I think Jeff has played more games of Bolt Action than the rest of the tournament put together. Plus he has been wargaming for years. The random order dice has a lot to do with it, target priority and so on. I think I got lucky in my games although I got a rookie pilot 4 times though out the weekend, that certainly didn't help. I had a unit of Rangers that couldn't use there special rule because everything pretty much came in on reserves. I also think my dice were good to very good over the weekend.

I had 2 win 1 loss and 2 draws, I managed to get bonus points in three of the five games so that was a huge bonus for me.

I am bummed we didn't get to play against each other John, I love your army and something epic always happens when we play.

I have finally found time to build my Finns, I am anxious to see how they do next year.
Cbalke

Postby BostonNazgul » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:30 pm

finns are nasty!

US isnt OP, any army can get beat by bad dice draws or a if you dont concentrate on the objective. I do believe it is karma every time a rookie pilot flys in...

I think the USA national rules allow for more forgiveness if you make a mistake or something. assuming a rookie pilot doesnt ruin your day.

Brits can certainly crush people with the right unit and skill pick, but the same could be said for russians and theyre swarms of SMGs. so all relative.
BostonNazgul

Postby Weekend General » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:24 pm

I thought it also interesting that the top five armies were all veteran, and that was more of a factor than which army book was used.
Weekend General

Postby Cbalke » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:52 pm

Of my 12 Order dice--- 4 Units were veterans, 1 10 man squad of Rangers 1 10 man squad of Airborne and a 6 man squad of airborne and the Lt to match the house rules.
Cbalke

Postby Weekend General » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:58 am

I didn't know that! I stand corrected, sorry.

I've wondered how a mix of vets and regs would fare in a game and it would appear it's a viable option given your overall placement. None of my FJs were painted in time for me to supplement my force with veterans. After John whooped me handily I started painting my Commandos to supplement my Brits and after yours and and Pawls' success I started Rangers to supplement my regular infantry.

Refresh my memory, did you take any armor? I know Kyle didn't take any armor and did well, but anyone else?
Weekend General

Postby Cbalke » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:45 pm

I did not bring any armor. I did bring 2 Bazooka teams though. Ask Jeremy he thought his tanks were safe when he shot the first team :twisted:
Cbalke

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:05 pm

i dont remember that happening....
BostonNazgul

Postby memphismitch » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Great pics and thanks for posting the results.... DEAD LAST... ouch! Bad day for the Afrika Korps. Its like 1943 all over again. LOL. I had a great time though, thanks to all the participants, you guys made my first tournament a good and memorable experience. Keep in touch with me for future events. Dankeschon am alles! Mitch
memphismitch

Return to Tournaments & Special Events (BA)