Is this army feasible to win?

All things Bolt Action!

Is this army feasible to win?

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:16 am

Ok. I have very strong ties to the Netherlands and at the store recently, I was happy to see they had a army section of their own! I had no clue.

Anyway, is it possible to create a force with weaker troops only in this game, and still win? Im guessing possible, but the troops dont offer much.

My idea would be to pretty much take a mix of the Dutch army, their indonesian troops, Dutch Partisans, French army, and French partisans(the French having only a small section to represent their role in the battle of the Netherlands/maybe a combined pact of partisans at the border helping each other.)

With inexperienced, regular, and partisan troops, can I go up against an army of say Veteran SS or hordes of Soviets and have the chance to come out on top often?

Ive always studied guerrilla warfare, and between that and my personal connection, I hope to build this army in the future eventually. But considering the high cost being as there are no Dutch box sets and even the French come in individual packs, Im not sure this investment is wise.
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Re: Is this army feasible to win?

Postby BostonNazgul » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:42 pm

i have no idea about the dutch list or its inclusions. in general there isnt any allied combined arms deals, but if all those factions are included in that list then yeah.

any list comes down to having the right tools to be able to counter general threats. AT, objectives, etc. then the rest is execution. I cant say i would put much faith in an army that has inexperienced troops focused on. they just tend to lie down and cry.
BostonNazgul

Postby CmdrVimes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:39 am

I haven't played a lot of games, but I think any army is winnable. The weapon are pretty balanced from army to army so there are no huge problems though you might have a lack of armor and AT. Veteran SS with a lot of ARs could be a problem but your inexperienced troops would have the advantage of numbers so using cover and tactics well could make the difference.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:16 pm

BostonNazgul wrote:i have no idea about the dutch list or its inclusions. in general there isnt any allied combined arms deals, but if all those factions are included in that list then yeah.

any list comes down to having the right tools to be able to counter general threats. AT, objectives, etc. then the rest is execution. I cant say i would put much faith in an army that has inexperienced troops focused on. they just tend to lie down and cry.

Got ya. Nah technically, these forces would be a mish mash and it would consist of more than one platoon allying together I think, or some partisans under the command of someone else. Id never use it in a tournament. Just for fun where the rules arent held extremely seriously.

I read up and some U.S. Airborne were in parts of SE Holland. I was thinking about doing them, and some Dutch and Partisans.
Just for fun. Idk though.

CmdrVimes wrote:I haven't played a lot of games, but I think any army is winnable. The weapon are pretty balanced from army to army so there are no huge problems though you might have a lack of armor and AT. Veteran SS with a lot of ARs could be a problem but your inexperienced troops would have the advantage of numbers so using cover and tactics well could make the difference.

Yeah I was thinking the same. They would cost a lot of points. If I even got one hit, I could pin their units. With all those rifles, its likely. Id just have to flank and maneuver and every game would be a challenge.
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby BrentS » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:49 pm

Bolg_Was_Epic wrote:Got ya. Nah technically, these forces would be a mish mash and it would consist of more than one platoon allying together I think, or some partisans under the command of someone else. Id never use it in a tournament. Just for fun where the rules arent held extremely seriously.

So I think the theme is nice but one thing to keep in mind, specific to Operation Sting. You can only bring one reinforced platoon for your army list. This was done to cut down on some of the "gamey" ways people can abuse the system (mutuiple platoons bringing multple tanks, etc). So if they army can't be made from a single platoon, unfortunately, we can't let you use it.

Having said that, building for fun and playing for fun, I think it sounds great.
BrentS

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Nah I have a different army for Operation Sting. This is for the future for fun. Like not for a long while.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Return to Bolt Action General Discussion