Operation Sting: Oct 18-19 Bolt Action Tournament

Forum for announcing, planning, and discussing upcoming Bolt Action Tournaments and Special Events.

Operation Sting: Oct 18-19 Bolt Action Tournament

Postby BrentS » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:24 am

Welcome to Operation Sting

The tournament organizers from Bilbo’s Birthday Bash are proud to present our Inauguaral Bolt Action tournament: Operation Sting! We look forward to hosting this brand new tournament will all the enthusiasm we brought to the BBB events.

Operation Sting will be a two-day Grand Tournament style event hosted at the Hilton-Northbrook. The event takes place the weekend of October 18-19. Each player will play a total of 5 games over the course of the weekend (3 on Saturday, 2 on Sunday). The players will bring a single army (1000 requisition points) consisting of a single reinforced platoon.

Event scoring will be a combination of Battle Points, Sportsmanship, Theme, and Paint scores for Overall placement. Awards will be presented for the following categories: Best Overall, Best General, Best Appearance, and Best Sportsman.

Registration for Operation Sting is $45. There are also options to purchase an optional boxed lunch on Saturday (catered by a local chef who is also of the tournament attendees!) as well as custom made event dice featuring hte Operation Sting Logo (in sets of 6 or 12 dice).

A Special Note on Army Theme: In honor of the 70th anniversary of battles of 1944, any army lists taken from a theatre selector for a specific event from 1944 will receive bonus points towards their army theme!

Check out the event website for all the details:

http://operationstingtournament.wordpress.com/
BrentS

Re: Operation Sting: Oct 18-19 Bolt Action Tournament

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:20 am

thoughts on using the new warplanes rules additions in place of the current forward air observer? some UK and Aussie events have switched over.
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:27 am

I'm interested in trying the new "Flyers" rules out but we aren't going to use these for the first tournament. Maybe in the future though.

I would love to hear some experiences when people starting using these.
BrentS

Postby griffen127 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:51 am

I tried the new flyer rules in 2 games. I think it was really cool. Alot more fun as its less random and more what you want. Its also more balanced. All and all IMO its a better rules setup.
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby BostonNazgul » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:55 pm

true, flak actually can damage plans now! japs painting a german skull on they're 20mm.
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 am

Updated the Rules for Operation Sting in regards to Army Building.

Normal Platoon Building Rules with the following exceptions:

* Only one reinforced platoon may be selected
* 15 Order Dice Limit
* Your Platoon Leader must have the same experience base as your highest ranking unit. That is, if you are taking a unit of Veterans, your Platoon Leader must also be Veteran.
* No vehicles with flamethrower weapons will be allowed. Infantry Flamethrower Teams are allowed as part of normal army building rules.
BrentS

Postby griffen127 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:13 pm

What about the new plane rules?
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby BrentS » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:22 pm

griffen127 wrote:What about the new plane rules?

Nope, not going to use the new warplane rules for this first year.
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:45 am

Operation Sting is now listed on the Official Warlord Games Events Website:

http://www.warlordgames.com/event/opera ... h-october/
BrentS

Postby Lordgoober » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm a tentative yes into this. I'm doing a very full semester in the fall at Aurora University so I might be very inundated with coursework that weekend. I'll be able to clarify my commitment once the semester starts. My plan is to do Gebirgsjagers in Italy using the 43-44 Defense of Italy selector so that SHOULD work for the 1944 bonus. At this point I just need to buy an Sd Kfz 233 and a blister of the metal Warlord Panzerfaust upgrade for the 8 panzerfausts I need.
Lordgoober

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:41 pm

I love the look of this game, but dont know the rules mostly, and have no models.

Is there a place people get together for games to practice, because honestly spending like $250+ just to get murdered by everyone doesnt seem worth it.

But I really, really enjoy this genre, the models are awesome, and the rules I did see sounded fun.

Plus I know like almost ten people who played/would play. That helps.
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby Lordgoober » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:03 pm

I believe there's a group at Draxtar that plays on I think Thursday nights. I've got a bunch of armies in various states of partial paint (going to work on some gorgon studios Gebirgsjagers later today after I build a few BF Pershings)
Lordgoober

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks for the heads up. If anyone has any more locations, cause thats gonna be probably a 70 minute one way trip for me.
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby CmdrVimes » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:12 am

Actually, I believe that there is a group at Drafter on Wed. and one on Sunday. My son and I will probably be there this Sunday. It is not expensive, either. You can get a 1000 point army from the War Store for just over $100. Rules are surprisingly familiar if you play 40k. Many of the people at Warlord Games are former GW.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby BrentS » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:35 pm

It would be great if you guys were interested and could drum up support. I think we've to the makings of a great Bolt Action community in the Chicagoland area.

If anyone has specific questions about our tournament, please let me know!
BrentS

Next

Return to Tournaments & Special Events (BA)