Photography Tips?

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Photography Tips?

Postby DaGrippster » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 am

Pretty straightforward, anyone have any tips for taking pictures of your models? I always have a hard time making the pictures come out well. I should also specify that I use my camera phone, so that might be part of the problem.
DaGrippster

Re: Photography Tips?

Postby JPA » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:09 pm

I wouldn't worry so much about using camera phone unless the photos are for a big competition, a lot of newer phones have pretty good cameras in them. The big things to keep in mind are lighting, background, and angle.

What you should try to do is take some white paper and angle it in such a way that it makes a background for the model that your photographing. Furthermore I would avoid using a flash as it is going to flatten the image and create unwanted shadows.

This article does a pretty good job of going over the basics of taking good photos of your models. If your really serious about it you read it.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/08/ ... phing.html
JPA

Postby Redbeard » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Absolutely do not use a flash. Lighting is important, the more light you can flood onto the area that you're taking pictures, the better they'll look. I made a light bar with three of the under-counter florescent lamps that you can get at home depot for under $20, one on each side and one on top, that fits right over a display board, and it helps a lot.

The camera phone is a bad choice because it's hard to stabilize. I dunno if they make camera-phone tripod attachments, but you really want as little movement in the camera as possible. A tripod is a good investment. If your camera has a timer function, set it up, and use the timer, that way nothing touches the camera to take the picture, and you don't even need to worry about the button/screen touch. A remote is another good way to achieve this.

Make sure that you're able to focus that close. Most camera phones have a macro mode, but this will still have a minimum focusing distance. You're better off taking the picture from a little further back and cropping it in editing software (picasa, for example, and it is free) than getting too close for the lens and getting the photos out of focus. Using an optical zoom from further back can also help with how much of the shot can be in focus at a time. There's something called a focal plane and it comes into play when taking pictures of a whole squad of guys. If you're set up wrong, you can get the front guy focused, and everyone else out of focus. By increasing this focal plane (and this gets into aperture settings), you can have more of the models in-focus. A trick for increasing this plane with a camera that doesn't let you set these values is to stand way back, and then zoom in, and you should get more of the guys focused well.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby swampthing » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Ive got one word...

Macro lens with a Ring flash and Photoshop.

wait that's .......ummm nevermind.
swampthing

Postby DaGrippster » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:11 pm

Excellent, thanks guys! I'm not looking for anything super fancy, just want to be able to take a decent picture of stuff that I paint so it doesn't look like I took the picture in a cave. I'll have to look into constructing something to take pictures in.
DaGrippster

Postby Nightspawn » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:48 pm

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member Wait! That doesn't sound right.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LENGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
Nightspawn

Return to Painting & Modeling