fortifications

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

fortifications

Postby Depayen » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:12 am

I haven't use bastion or any thing like them before only the wall so I am sorry if these questions sound basic.

First question; It appears that only penetrating hits affect the AV value is this correct? Plus I read something in the big rule book last night that mention facing (like each side of the building) so does this mean each side or facing have 14 armor that one side needs to be work down to 14? Or doesn't matter what side the penetrating affects the overall 14 armor of the building is affected?

This my be more for the judges at adepticon, On the firestorm redoubt you can by additional gun emplacement but its under battle field and battlements (sorry neither book with me to give page numbers) because the 1850 rule read you can take gun emplacements, com-relay but nothing else out of assault stronghold. to me seem a little grey area. Which would it be? (Example I want to out an additional icaus lascannon on firestorm redoubt would this be legal or not for adepticon?)
Death comes at high Speed!
Here cometh the orangemen!

O'where O'where will I pop in. Go first I will let you shoot at nothing.
Depayen

Re: fortifications

Postby seahawk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:03 pm

Yep! Only penetrating does anything; glances do nothing because they don't have hull points.

Purchased fortifications are AV14 all around, like a land raider, except for the Aquila strongpoint, which is 15. When something lowers the AV, it affects all facings.

I imagine they meant you can only takes those options listed, and are still limited to one per fortification. Better bring it up to Matthias directly?
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Depayen » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:15 pm

I see what you are saying but here is where the facing issue came up. BRB pg94 Armour value 0 reads if a building is reduced to armour value 0 on one or more facings, it immediately suffer a total collapse damage result.

That is way I was thinking each building face start with the AV at 14 and works its way down per face.
Death comes at high Speed!
Here cometh the orangemen!

O'where O'where will I pop in. Go first I will let you shoot at nothing.
Depayen

Postby seahawk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:01 am

Gotcha. Here's what I found:

P.92 ARMOR VALUES:

"Bunkers and bastions have an armor Value of 14 all around."

"Whilst it's perfectly acceptable to have buildings with different Front, Side, and Rear Armor Values, it's simplest to pick one for the entire building."
So here, it's telling us the basic tenant is that all buildings have the same value all around. The exception is if you have an interesting building, like wood on one side, concrete on the other kinda thing. Then, you'd agree with your opponent on what the different facings are.

P.94: (after the AV 0 bit you mentioned)

"Reduce all of its Armor Values by D3 for the remainder of the battle."

Entropic Strike

"...it immediately loses 1 point of Armor Value from all facings."
So, for the damaging effects that reduce the AV, they always affect all facings. In 99% of the cases, this means all facings of a building will stay at the same number, and might all hit 0 at the same time.

In that 1% of cases where you decided with your opponent that one or more facings might have a different, lower AV than the rest, then it'll collapse when that specific facing drops to zero.

Basically, the ARMOR VALUE 0 part is just there to cover all the bases.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Rhysk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:45 am

Depayne,

For Adepticon, 40K events that allow fortifications (Excluding Exterminatus which allows everything) use the following clarification:

Any allowed fortification that includes options to purchase from “Battlements & Battlefield” list may include a battlefield option restricted to Comms Relay or Gun Emplacement. The upgrade may be placed as an emplaced weapon if the fortification has battlements or alternatively may be placed as battlefield debris wholly within 6” of the Fortification at the time the fortification itself is placed. Fortifications may also take their unique upgrades as listed. Please note: Building upgrades not specific to a particular building, Obstacles and Ammo Dumps are NOT allowed.

Regards,

Chris
Last edited by Rhysk on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rhysk

Postby seahawk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:44 pm

- Fortifications will use the updated rules presented in Stronghold Assault. The following Fortifications are allowed in this event:
Aegis Defense Line, Fortress of Redemption, Imperial Bastion, Skyshield Landing Pad, Wall of Martyrs Firestorm Redoubt and
Wall of Martyrs Vengeance Weapon Battery. Fortification upgrades may not be utilized except for Comms Relays, Gun
Emplacements and fortification specific options.
- Data Slates, upgrades and additional fortifications from Stronghold Assault, Escalation, AdeptiCon 2014 Approved Warhammer
40K and Lords of War Units, Forge World army lists and material from the Horus Heresy books WILL NOT be allowed in this
event

Well now it's confusing if you add it in to the above. Is it:

Bastion
Only Upgrade -> Quad-gun

or

Bastion
1st Upgrade -> Quad-gun
2nd Upgrade -> Comms relay

For either upgrade, you can only choose a Gun Emplacement or a Comms Relay?
seahawk

Postby Rhysk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Seahawk,

Composition: 1 Imperial Bastion.

Terrain Type: Medium building (Armour Value 14) with battlements.

Access Points & Fire Points: As per model.

Weapons: Four emplaced heavy bolters.

Options:
• May take items from the Buildings, Obstacles and Battlements & Battlefield lists.

Excerpt From: Games Workshop Ltd. “Warhammer 40,000: Stronghold Assault (eBook Edition).” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/gGGVT.l

We have eliminated the "Buildings and Obstacles" options completely.

Battlement & Battlefield upgrades are single pieces of battlefield debris. A list of the relevant descriptions and rules for battlefield debris can be found opposite. Each fortification can purchase a single Battlement & Battlefield upgrade from the list below. These are placed either on the fortification’s battlements (if it is a building with battlements) or anywhere on the tabletop that is wholly within 6" of their fortification.

Excerpt From: Games Workshop Ltd. “Warhammer 40,000: Stronghold Assault (eBook Edition).” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/gGGVT.l

We have restricted the Battlements and Battlefield lists to eliminate the Ammunition Dump.

You may choose a single Comms Relay, Quad Gun, or Icarus Lascannon for your Bastion. You may choose to place it on the Bastions Battlement or wholly within 6" of the Bastion when the Bastion is deployed.

Regards,

Chris
Rhysk

Postby seahawk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:20 am

Ah, thanks for the clarification, because this:

Any allowed fortification that includes options to purchase from “Battlements & Battlefield” list may include an additional battlefield option restricted to Comms Relay or Gun Emplacement.
...said that you could take an additional upgrade, which meant on top of the normal allowed upgrade. I figured it was compensation for removing all the other options.
seahawk

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)