Tau and Tau allied together?

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby, or just 4, 5 or 6 it...

Tau and Tau allied together?

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:25 pm

Can Farsight Tau ally with codex Tau? In that respect can Iyanden Eldar ally with codex Eldar?

I didn't buy either supplement and never thought they could ally together, but now I've heard enough people argue they can I'm not sure. Is it in the supplement rules or are they arguing from a fluff is the rules perspective?
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: Tau and Tau allied together?

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:44 am

I read the same thing and I think the answer is yes they can. They come out and say that those allies go together. So you can have Farsight and his mortal enemy Shadowsun palled up together in the same unit!

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:15 am

What aBout the Iyanden codex? Anybody know if the Iyanden codex says you can ally Iyanden with Eldar?
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:34 pm

My understanding was that all Codex supplements, which used to come in White Dwarf (like the good ol' Screamer/Flamer awesomeness), counted as part of the main Codex. Being a supplement, it seemed that it is not a separate Codex/army. So I'd venture to say the new supplement books are at the very least Battle Brothers.

Barring special rules in each supplement that say you cannot take certain stuff in the main book within the supplemental army list, if you fulfill the supplemental army list, I don't see any reason you couldn't take non-taboo extra stuff from the main book with the supplemental army. Though I haven't read either supplement book to say for sure.

Certainly a HUGE need for an FAQ on that one. Petition the masses to e-mail GW about this, as the Black Legion is coming up and inquiring minds want to know!
Lord Krungharr

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 am

I don't think there is any real ruling on this, it seems to fall under the "whatever the T.O. decides for the event".

Personally I don't think you should be able to. When you take supplement Iyaden....which codex are you using? Eldar. The supplement is only a couple pages, you need the original codex to play it. Well lets look at the ally matrix. Hey, no Iyaden, I should be using Codex Eldar as my "parent" codex to see who I can ally with. Now can Eldar ally with Eldar, most tournies do not allow it.

If it is allowed that the supplements can ally with their "parent" codex, I guess it would be equally likely they will allow codices to ally with themselves (Tyranids).

Who knows if there will ever be a real ruling on this, but it seems it would be up to the T.O. or discussed with your opponent before a pick up game.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:03 am

It comes right out in the supplement and says that Farsight list can ally with Tau. Not sure if there is a more direct answer then that. Very odd - but it seems like it's legal.
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:12 am

Ha! Yeah doesn't get more clear cut than that for sure. Does the Eldar (Iyaden) codex have the same clause?
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby jlong05 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:25 am

Farsight specifically says yes. Iyanden does not indicate that they can, so normally would not be allowed without a FAQ update from GW. Basing this simply that Farsight has the rule where Iyanden does not and the iPad version has not been updated to change that fact.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby Chubs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:33 pm

I honest think the supplements are just more extreme versions of their 'host' codex. They can only ally with the armies they specifically say they can . New chaos too...
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:57 am

New chaos supplement says it is battle brothers with the chaos codex. That means I can field 4 Heldrakes in one army!!
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby ciscogarza » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:37 am

I have a question about Tau and Tau allies. Since Farsight can ally with Tau, can the allied force have Aun'va in it? In the Farsight Enclaves it says that Farsight Enclaves army cannot include Aun'Va or Commander Shadowsun in the same army. I'm reading this as Aun'Va and Farsight can't be in the same Enclave list but can ally with Tau (a separate army) whose HQ is Aun'Va. Is this correct? Sorry if it's a little confusing.
ciscogarza

Postby jlong05 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Yes, you can ally farsight and aunva/shadowsun in that way. The book specifically says this as a way If showing them prior to the official split. It's a stretch, but is allowed per the rules.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby goldgame » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:44 am

You can surf the Internet access to relevant data and information, and discuss with friends, maybe can help you, wish you good luck.

Postby eltrain728 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:58 am

I'm relatively sure that the current status quo is

farsighted and tau yes

Iyanden and eldar no
eltrain728

Postby eltrain728 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:11 pm

Actually I just read the adepticon FAQ. Eldar can ally with Iy anden as battle brothers.
eltrain728

Next

Return to Rules Discussions (40K)