Convince me on Tau

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Convince me on Tau

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 am

Help me out, I just can't figure out what makes the Tau codex worth taking that another codex can't do better. I don't want to go down the "power codex" hole, but I just can't figure this one out. Everything seems over priced for what you're ultimately getting. Models are cool, I give you that, which is reason enough to run things.

The big debate is revolving around whether I just dump all my painted Tau. Can't figure out why I'd want to play this army.

Convince me!

Thanks,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Re: Convince me on Tau

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:49 am

There is no convincing. Dump them. Tau suffer from the same problems they suffered from in the last codex. It's tough for them to get to the enemy deployment zone with scoring units (outflanking Kroot will die to Guardsmen in equal numbers. That's like saying outflanking Kroot can get to the enemy deployment zone and stay just like Penal Legion units can in IG armies) and once something reaches their lines, they die in droves.

Granted the new codex makes it harder to reach their lines, but not that much harder. No, no, no the tau codex excels at one thing above all others - It's a great ally force.

The Tau can ally with everyone except Bugs, Dark Eldar and Daemons. (Ironically IMO Daemons would benifit the most from tau allies) The Tau are battle brothers with vanilla marines and Eldar. There are some good combo's in that mix. Let's start with just good tau ally units.

Broadsides - These guys are great ally units. They are anti-tank and anti-flyer. Some pretty good anti-flyer.

Riptide - Give it the Ion gun and Interceptor and place the str 8 ap 2 pie plate on anything that deep strikes within 6 feet. Geesh lots of armies would like that.

Commander with puretide chip - Now everyone has an Eldar Fire Dragon Exarch to man the Quad Gun.

Crisis Suit suicide team - With the new rules for Tau guns you can take 2 fusion guns on one suit. A pair of these crisis suits can deep strike in and hit a vehicle with 4 melta shots. You can also give a Crisis unit 2 flamers to double roast horde units and cover them with 4 flamer templates. Maybe 6 templates if you want to go nuts. Armies like Chaos would have to dedicate 4-6 terminators to that job. Others like Eldar have no such viable option

Tau Smart Missle launchers - These babies negate cover saves. Few armies have anything that can negate cover saves at range.

Here are some good combo's with the battle brother allies.

Shadowsun + anythng you don't want to die - She gives the unit she attaches to stealth and shrouding. That means a Devestator squad or a shooty Terminator squad or even a Sternguard squad in trees will have a 2+ cover save. That's pretty good. She can turn almost any unit in the Eldar codex into rangers/pathfinders. Dark Reapers in woods + Shadowsun have a 2+ cover save. Granted there are fewer units in the Eldar book that can benifit from her ability, but Eldar get a new book in June.

Eldar Psychic powers + tau shooting - Eldar still can give tau units Prescience and other Divination powers. Eldar HQ's can attach to tau units to imrove their leaderships. Eldrad in a squad of Broadsides is hard to get rid of.

I really think tau are best as allies to a main force. The Marine and Eldar Battle Brothers can protect them from assaults easily anbd enhance some of their low leadership abilities. As an overall ally force the Tau can give some armies access to better long range anti-tank options.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby YeezyMozart » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:22 am

I would love to buy your tau from you if you are willing to part from the Kroot.
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Chubs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:56 am

Bidding war, what? (i would also be interested)

Tau are looking like a premier ally, as they can fill voids in many army styles.
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby tulkasulmar » Fri May 03, 2013 6:51 pm

You should try taking your horde of Kroots with Sniper Rounds and see how that work. Take a few Kroot Hounds in each of your Squads so they get Acute Senses, in case you have a need for it.

Take some Pathfinders, since Markerlights can be used by any unit in the Tau Codex.

Mix in some Fire Warrior Squads for supporting fire.

Take Dakka Crisis Suits, I'd go with 2x Plasma Rifles or 2x Burst Cannons or 2x Missile Pods. Or try 3 of the same weapons on a Crisis Suit, its does get expensive. But it's so Dakka. :D

Take a Squad or Two of the Skyfire Broadsides.

I'm planning on bringing the Tau to a few of the AWC RTTs just to try them out. I don't expect to win with them, since there are so many Armies that they do not match up well against. But it has new rules and must be tried out. :lol:
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby blk Ice » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:00 pm

Hay, If you sell them i would like to buy the Codex, Let me know.
blk Ice

Postby YeezyMozart » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 am

Just wait for codex creep it should be done in about 2 more months.

No one will need to convince anyone tau is good then.

In my opinion they are the best codex in 6th edition and I would go as far as saying they are even better than Grey Knights where in 5th edition. Most competitive codex ever
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Tau alone might have trouble in a 5 game event. Their are to many holes in their game. Tau with allies is a better choice and even then Grimoire tzeentch Daemons have a better than 50/50 shot at tabling them. Tau have no answer to 2+ invulnerable saves on fast movers. Other armies can hold up in combat against the fast movers, tau can't.

I am also finding Eldar to be a great counter to tau. I also find that Tau + Eldar is one of the best combos in the game, but tau vs. Eldar seems to go the Eldars way. Maybe it's just my lists.

For fun I put together a BA armor 13 wall of vehicles to play against both of these armies. I'm not sure how it will do, but there are 7 armor 13 vehicles and a land raider.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Turtle » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 pm

I'll convince you in 3 words brian

Giant
Fucking
Robots

done.
anything else is just frosting
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Shawn-C-Carroll » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:16 am

Turtle wrote:I'll convince you in 3 words brian

Giant
Fucking
Robots

done.

That is all there is to be concerned about, either you like the mecha or you don't. If you don't like the giant robots then just pick another army.
Shawn-C-Carroll

Postby goldgame » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:43 am

You can surf the Internet access to relevant data and information, and discuss with friends, maybe can help you, wish you good luck.

Postby Nightspawn » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:34 am

Turtle wrote:I'll convince you in 3 words brian

Giant
Fucking
Robots

done.

So I almost get banned a few years ago for using bad language and this is ok?
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member Wait! That doesn't sound right.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LENGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
Nightspawn

Return to Tactics (40K)