2014 army restrictions

AdeptiCon 2014 will be held April 3rd - 6th, 2014 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL. Visit the AdeptiCon website (http://www.adepticon.org) and start planning today!

2014 army restrictions

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:50 am

Updated restrictions for the championships.

No dataslates, no formations, no escalation, limited use of stronghold assault. You can use the rules, but no upgrades and only a few fortifications are allowed. No combining them or anything.

No dataslates - Because having Tyranids ally in dataslates to increase their FOC would break the game. I mean taking 3 HQ's is something no one can handle. Just imagine if someone were allowed to take Farsight, Ovessa and a Buff Commander in one list. Oh wait......

No stronghold upgrades - Is the escape hatch gamebreaking? Having Bill's favorite building, the Firestorm Redoubt, fire at BS 3 will bring the game down? This really makes no sense. You already say you need to have the Stronghold book to play because the rules and damage tables are different than the BRB, but you cant buy the building upgrades. This makes no sense.

I wouldn't really care normally. I mean you want a Taudar vs. Daemon fest to take over the championships I get that. You must have had a ton of fun when Grey Knights were the only army showing up and want to replicate that. But some yahoo's like to use the Adepticon championship rules as the gospel according to the AWC tourney series and in that respect these rules have an impact on the last set of tourney games I can play. For that I need to vent.

Heaven help me if they release that Chaos Dataslate which gives CSM tank hunting and infiltrating abilities. It had better be allowed in or you will see a grown man cry.
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: 2014 army restrictions

Postby Turtle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:24 pm

well you could bitch more or you could keep reading

http://www.adepticon.org/14rules/201440 ... inatus.pdf

two tournaments one with everything and one without everything. dont like the champs then play in the other one.
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Turtle wrote:well you could bitch more or you could keep reading

http://www.adepticon.org/14rules/201440 ... inatus.pdf

two tournaments one with everything and one without everything. dont like the champs then play in the other one.

I said I don't go to Adepticon or I guess I didn't spell that out clearly, sorry. Their 7000 tourneys to cater to each whim means nothing. I meant to be more clear and say the only tounrey I still go to uses the Adepticon Championship rules as their rules. It's in the bylaws. Nothing else matters.

IMO having 7000 tourney formats to try and satisfy everyone satisfies no one and leaves a hole where stability in the national tourney scene could be. Someone needs to take a stand. No one here will, at least to my liking.

It's disingenuous to have either a highly restricted tourney or a take everything tourney and tell players all their desires are met. That's not true. Where is the tourney which allows all games Workshop 40k rules and units to be used, except D weapons which are over the top. I don't see that one. If I want to take Deathleaper and 5 Lictors outside the FOC for bugs I have to stare down D weapons to do it. Not the same thing.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Turtle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:43 pm

ok lets play chess then

but i don't like queens very much they're too over powered, so no using those
Turtle

Postby muwhe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Fred,

There is not a lot of certainty on the direction of the game at the moment. We could have 24 different formats for the “Championship” and still not cover all the possible flavors. That became very clear during our internal discussions.

We felt the best approach for this year was two formats, one playing 40k “as usual” and one allowing all the updates. Coming up with a complex system of what to allow or not allow, or restricted and banned unit lists just did not seem like an endeavor to undertake given a version change coming late summer / early fall. Besides removing D weapons or modifying D weapons out of Escalation creates a whole another set of issues.

I always thought that the format of the AWC events previously held at the bunker was up to the individual that stepped up to run them that month? Has that changed?

-Hank
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby skkipper » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:49 am

How does a person sign up for exterminatus event? I currently have a championship badge and playing exterminatus sounds more enjoyable.
skkipper

Postby muwhe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:53 am

@skkipper -

Great question! It is in the works. If you are a current 40K Championship event participant you will be getting an email shortly asking if you would like to be moved to the Thursday Exterminatus format. Once that email goes out we are going to give current Championship participants a few days to respond. Afterwards available Championship slots and Exterminatus slots will be available to those individuals on the Championship wait list.

- Hank
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby skkipper » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 am

Awesome, I don't need the risk of winning the championship and have to go to Europe with Sparky, again.
skkipper

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 am

Hank,

Correct me if I am wrong, but for years we had a standard rule that said to the effect 'forge world is allowed except for gargantuan creatures'. It was a restricted or banned list made simple. All the books could have been used with the caveat 'all d-weapons and gargantuan creatures are banned'. It is one step beyond the old rule.

For myself I really want to use just a few things from Stronghold assault. I really want to use multiple bastions together in the formation from SA. I also want to use some of the building upgrades, like BS 3 automated fire and an escape hatch. I don't want to stare down a Trancendent Ctan to do it. When those small upgrades are included in the ridiculousness of D weapons, they get lost and become useless. I think there are obvious over the top units and rules in these books, but there are also a hell of a lot of good units that can help current weak army books compete. It seems to many times the baby is being thrown out with the bath water.

Your solution looks to be what Adepticon has always had. A championship tourney and a gladiator tourney. That is all the Exterminatus tourney is, another Gladiator.

As for the AWC monthly tourney, they have always gone by the Adepticon FAQ as the primary source of rules disputes. I overstated it when I said they will play only the Adepticon championship format. Though that does become the default setting.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Turtle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 pm

you may be really sad when they start putting lords of war into codexes and when all that stuff is part of the base core rulebook then

Its not what it used to be. learn to adapt.
Turtle

Postby DaGrippster » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:35 am

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:For myself I really want to use just a few things from Stronghold assault. I really want to use multiple bastions together in the formation from SA. I also want to use some of the building upgrades, like BS 3 automated fire and an escape hatch. I don't want to stare down a Trancendent Ctan to do it. When those small upgrades are included in the ridiculousness of D weapons, they get lost and become useless. I think there are obvious over the top units and rules in these books, but there are also a hell of a lot of good units that can help current weak army books compete. It seems to many times the baby is being thrown out with the bath water.

Your solution looks to be what Adepticon has always had. A championship tourney and a gladiator tourney. That is all the Exterminatus tourney is, another Gladiator.

As for the AWC monthly tourney, they have always gone by the Adepticon FAQ as the primary source of rules disputes. I overstated it when I said they will play only the Adepticon championship format. Though that does become the default setting.

Ok, so you've identified the problem you have. If you were in charge of running Adepticon, how would YOU solve it? Keeping in mind that you want to try and make as few people as possible feel left out or cheated, while maintaining your reputation as the best tournament around.
DaGrippster

Return to AdeptiCon 2014