Fortification opinions

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Fortification opinions

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:03 am

I am in a campaign, and next weekend I will facing down 3 Vendettas and possibly some Necron flyers too, and I have 250 points of reinforcements available. Since I'm weak on anti-air, I was thinking going for that. Pretty much between a Firestorm Redoubt and 2 Bastions w Icarus/or Quad Guns.

I heard the Redoubt can be upgraded to BS3, so that would be okay, but at BS2 I wouldn't want it probably.

Anybody have experience using these? I know people seem to like the Bastions, and I could stuff 2 units of Obliterators in those, rather than just 1 in the Redoubt Bunker.

Or should I just say screw it and get a Deathstrike Launcher, hide it behind the Wall of Martyrs, and another cheapo Telepathy Sorcerer to Puppet Master one of his Warhounds (I have 2 or 3 others already :) ? No FOC or any restrictions in this, except the Allies Matrix is in effect, and not true Apoc (so no Formations unfortunately).

Thanks for any advice!
Lord Krungharr

Re: Fortification opinions

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:45 am

For anti air the firestorm redoubt is very nice. You will get 2 guns that fire 2 lascannons each. You don't need to man it so you can abandon the redoubt and it will still fire. With a bastion you have to have somebody inside or on top to shoot the Skyfire gun. If an oblit is staying behind to fire the Skyfire gun, then you are wasting his normal heavy weapon shot.

You can upgrade the redoubt to BS 3. The guns are twin linked so that is not that bad. They have to fire at the closest enemy flyer. If none are present they will fire at the closest enemy unit. This is the biggest drawback for the redoubt, your opponent will dictate what you shoot at.

You mentioned a Warhound? As in Warhound Titan? If that thing has D Weapons then the Firestorm Redoubt is useless. You'll get destroyed in one shot.
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: Fortification opinions

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:04 am

Yeah, he'll have 2 Warhounds. There will be a bunch of other priority targets for him however. If I get to go first I should be able to puppet master them and in theory annhilate most of his army or have each Titan D-blast the other one after having dropped the shields with my other firepower.

I guess if he goes first, then I'll be pretty screwed! Maybe Void Shields next to a Skyshield with Flakk Havocs would be better. No Interceptor though.
Lord Krungharr

Return to Tactics (40K)