Laketown models up for pre-order

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Laketown models up for pre-order

Postby BrentS » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:20 am

All the Laketown models are up for pre-order....... All finecast. Ugh.
BrentS

Re: Laketown models up for pre-order

Postby jlong05 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:10 am

That makes sense since they supposedly have stopped finecast production and were moving back to plastic.

Oh well.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby old coast » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 am

Ugh..how I miss the days of the Metal $15 blister of 3 guys...even at $20 a blister in metal I would have bought an Army of Laketown guys
in Finecast..no freaking way...bummer.
old coast

Postby rustin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:58 pm

I wonder if these were made awhile back before they made the decision to go back towards plastic (if that is indeed the case) and they're trying to burn the inventory before replacing the finecast ones with plastic models. Maybe that's a dumb theory.

But yeah, pretty weird choice at the end of a string of other weird choices by the company. Maybe they're just trying to kill of their LOTR player base so they can easily cut the game from their company and stop dealing with licensing issues ha. WHO CAN REALLY KNOW??
rustin

Postby griffen127 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 pm

try and kill the game. They already did.
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby JLeong » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Killing the game is a touch dramatic. I myself have been wondering if the Laketown army that goes to the Battle of Five armies will be armed differently, giving us new miniatures. The prices are really difficult to stomach, but the way I have looked at the Elf releases is to forget the notion of plastic miniatures. 10 metal infantry models used to be $40. The difference between old plastics and old metals was detail and weight (to me at least). I got my hands on some of the new plastics (Drew the Grim Hammers and Warriors of Erebor and I the Mirkwood Elves), and I have to say I am really impressed and take back all the negative things I said about the new releases (except for a couple Jackson/WETA decisions).
The new plastics are nicer than the vast majority of the metal models released for the range previously.

So I just pretend metal models are the only things that exist, but they are magically lighter : P

Really, the sculpts seem superior to me. I don't like the new price tag, but I am able to live with it given (my perceived) increase in quality.

The Laketown men are just plain overpriced, but I am not so sure the game is dead. Drew and I have actually purchased more new miniatures in the past month than in the past several years.
We each are fielding brand new armies featuring only Hobbit miniatures.

I'm not so sure that Laketown's releases will be limited to these models. Especially given the fact that these are just the few guys wandering around Laketown acting like secret police. I'm not convinced they are meant to be fielded as an army just yet.
JLeong

Postby rustin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Yeah I don't actually think they want to kill off the game. I was just making the point that I have no idea what they're doing ever. But I do think its quite possible that the new finecast models are those produced before they decided to go back to plastic and they wanna sell off their inventory before re-releasing them in plastic.
rustin

Postby BrentS » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:49 pm

I'm with Rustin. I think all these Hobbit Finecast models were in the works last year when the Hobbit was supposed to be a two part movie. I think this is one of the last reminents of finecast line (if the other GW rumors are to be believe). Unfortunately, it would take a diehard with deep pockets to field a Laketown army with these current releases. Someone posted that is like $100 for one warband!

Josh - I'm glad you and Drew are staying excited about the new models. I made two new Hobbit armies last year (Grimhamers/Dwarves of Erebor and the Eagles). This year, I'm digging into my backlog and bringing a new LOTR army (fiefdoms). I got some of the new stuff for Christmas gifts but certainly nothing to build an army with.
BrentS

Postby JLeong » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:04 am

Believe me, I'm not eager to defend GW here haha. BTW Brent, I love your eagles. They're stunning.
The cost of putting together a Laketown army right now is unconscionable. I just happen to think that they're getting more releases soon (the third movie... "soon") that will make them more affordable.

I didn't know that they're moving away from Finecast. Has the popularity (or maybe lack of popularity) driven Finecast from the shelves?

Also, I forgot that The Hobbit was going to be two movies. GW's range was probably designed to be 2 waves of releases. I wonder if The Desolation of Smaug releases were the last quarter of Movie 1 and the first quarter of Movie 2 under that framework. That would bring the number of models released for movies 1 and 2 into line with the LotR releases.
Mirkwood Rangers and Palace Guard blending into the Dwarves and the Rivendell Knights, with Azog's Orcs all coming at once.
Then Laketown going with all the Battle of Five armies, Dol Guldur stuff.

Just a thought.
JLeong

Return to Lord of the Rings News