11/28, Draxtar Tournament, 1850pts. Inquisitor/IG

You just finished the best 40K game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

11/28, Draxtar Tournament, 1850pts. Inquisitor/IG

Postby tulkasulmar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:23 am

11-28-2013 Draxtar Tournament batrep

Attended a Draxtar Tournament this past Saturday, 11/28. Brought my IG Tallarn Army, as I have not fielded them at any of the Draxtar Tournaments. Plus this will be my first time of ever utilizing the Allies rules. I will be bringing 2 Inquisitors from the Inquisitor eCodex as Allies, and one of the Inquisitors will be my Warlord.
Draxtar is a new store in our area that has been running a 40K Tournament each Month, this is their 4th 40K Tournament. They have an assortment of great Tables and Terrain. Another part of their Tournaments is that Painting is not required. It’s a great Tournament to go to if you have stuff not fully painted and want to try something out. I’m glad they opened, since the Chicago Battle Bunker will be closing soon.

My list consists of:

Warlord – Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, Power Armor, Mastery Level 1, Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, 3x Servo-Skulls
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, Power Armor, Mastery Level 1, Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, 3x Servo-Skulls

Company Command Squad – Commander, 4x Plasmaguns, Astropath, Chimera

Marbo

Veteran Squad – Sgt, 3x Plasmaguns, Autocannon, Chimera

Platoon Command Squad – Lt, 4 Flamers
Infantry Squad – Sgt, Flamer, Autocannon, Chimera
Infantry Squad – Sgt, Autocannon
Infantry Squad – Sgt, Autocannon
Special Weapon Squad – 3x Flamers

Vendetta
Vendetta

Colossus
Demolisher

I forgot to take a pic of my army, as the timeline for the Tournament was very tight. I took pictures sparingly as we only had 2 hours per Round.
Last edited by tulkasulmar on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Re: 11/28, Draxtar Tournament, 1850pts. Inquisitor/IG

Postby tulkasulmar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:24 am

Game 1: vs. Les Westmoreland and his Black Templar Army.

I was not able to get a copy of his list, as he only had 1 on hand and needed it for the whole Tournament. The biggest part of his Army was that he had 2 Land Raider Crusaders each loaded with a large Crusader Squad. He had 2 other small Crusader Squads in Rhinos, Venerable Dreadnaught, Dreadnaught, 2 Land Speeders w MM and his Warlord (not sure what he had). I forgot to bring any Meltaguns for my Veteran Squads to this Tournament. Which was a big mistake, seeing what I had to face in Round 1. Plus I usually take a Manticore but replaced it with my newly painted Colossus model. List will be corrected for future Tournaments. ;)

Primary Objectives:
5 Objectives, each worth 5 points

Secondary Objectives:
Slay the Warlord, First Blood, and Linebreaker, each worth 1 point.

Deployment – Vanguard Strike
Initiative – Black Templar
No Night Fight first turn

I was unable to steal Initiative.

Black Templar Warlord Trait – Causes Fear
Inquisitor Ordo Xenos Warlord Trait – 6+ Inv, +1 Str and Rending on his Bolt Pistol
Both my Inquisitors took Prescience.

Pre Deployment:

Turn 1 – Black Templar

Black Templars moved up.
Black Templar shooting from the Plasmacannon Dreadnaught took out a Hull Point on a Veteran Squad Chimera and stuns the Command Squad Chimera. All other shooting was ineffective. He sent every shot that could hurt the Demolisher, but fail to damage it.

Turn 1 – Tallarns

I cast prescience on both Heavy Tanks.
Tallarns shuffle around.
I take down the Land Speeder near his Land Raider Crusader, First Blood to the Tallarns. I hit that same Land Raider Crusader with my Demolisher, but fail to damage it.
I take out a Hull Point on his Venerable Dreadnaught and 2 Hull Points on his empty Rhino on the left.

Turn 2 – Black Templar

Other Land Speeder moved up to shoot at the Demolisher. Everything else shuffles around.
Land Speeder fails to hit the Demolisher.
Land Raider on the left blows up a Chimera, killing a few Veterans (they pass their Pinning and Morale)
Other Land Raider kills off some Tallarns in the center.
Other shooting takes out a Hull Point on a Chimera.

Turn 2 – Tallarns
Marbo and both Vendettas show up.
Marbo deep strikes near the Crusader Squad in the back of his Deployment Zone.
I prescience both Heavy Tanks again.

Demolisher gets immobilized trying to back away from the Land Raider and Land Speeder.
Command Squad Chimera also immobilizes itself trying to move back.

Marbo throws his Demo and kills 1 Space Marine.
I wreck the empty Rhino to my left.
Left Vendetta takes out a Hull Point from a Land Raider.
Other Vendetta wrecks the Venerable Dreadnaught.
Other Dreadnaughts wrecked from Autocannon, and Multi-laser shots.
The Veterans near the Land Speeder blows it up.
Demolisher pens the Land Raider but only takes out the left Hurricane Bolter.

A good turn of shooting for the Tallarns this turn, but both Land Raiders are still alive.

Turn 3 – Black Templar

Black Templars shuffle around. Land Raider to the left is blocked by the Vendetta, and does not try to go around weary of immobilizing itself on Terrain. Since there has been lots of 1s rolled for Dangerous Terrain.
Other Land Raider moved up 6”.

Black Templar shooting takes down the Demolisher and the Command Squad Chimera. Command Squad fails their Pinning check.
Space Marine Squad in the back shoots at Marbo but fail to kill him and his 2+ Cover save.

Turn 3 – IG
Time is running out so I maneuver to get to objectives and try to take out the Land Raider nearest my Deployment zone.
I hover the Vendetta near the Land Raider. And shot at the Land Raider causing a Stun result.
The other Vendetta goes after the Space Marine squad in the back. Killing off a Space Marine.
I have no other shots since all he had near most of my force are Land Raiders.

Turn 4 – Black Templar
Rhino in the center dump out their Crusader Squad to take an Objective. Crusader Squad fails to damage a Vendetta in their Deployment Zone.
Other Space Marine Squad failed again to take out Marbo.
The stunned Land Raider dumped out their Crusader Squad, but they roll triple 1s to move out. So they decide to run to get to an Objective.
Other Land Raider dumps out their Crusader Squad, which also runs to try to get to another Objective.
Land Raiders does little to no damage from their shooting.

Turn 4 – IG
Vendetta in my Opponent’s Deployment Zone Hovers and faces the newly emerged Crusader Squad from the Rhino. Dumps out the Special Weapon Squad w 3 Flamers near the Crusader Squad. And they are able to contest the Objective. Vendetta and Special Weapon Squad fails to kill off all the Crusader Squad.
Marbo contest the other Objective in my Opponent’s Deployment Zone.

I maneuver all my Veterans and Squads to take out his 2 large Crusader Squads.
I kill off all the Crusader Squad to my left. And kill off most of the other Crusader Squad. I then run my Warlord and his Infantry Squad to take an Objective.

Game ends due to time.

I have 2 Objectives to none for my Opponent.
I have First Blood and Linebreaker.
My Opponent has Linebreaker.

IG Wins, 12 - 1

I think if Les were more aggressive with his Land Raiders he would have taken out a lot of my units near my Objectives. But we only ended up getting 4 turns, and the last turn Les had to dump his guys out to try to get to the Objectives. He also had to run with his Crusader Squads to get to the Objectives instead of shooting with them. He did not have any viable targets to assault or he would have had to assault units farther away from the Objectives.
I need to bring Meltaguns and the Manticore.
Last edited by tulkasulmar on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby tulkasulmar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:26 am

Game 2: vs Henry Kim and his Tyranid Army

Warlord – Hive Tyrant, Wings, Exoskeleton, Synapse, Psyker (1), Tl Devourer w Brainleech Worms (x2), Leech essence, Paroxysm.
Hive Tyrant, Exoskeleton, Synapse, Psyker (1), Tl Devourer w Brainleech Worms (x2), Leech essence, Paroxysm.

Tervigon, Exoskeleton, Claws & Teeth, Stinger Salvo, Synapse, Brood Progenitor, Psyker (1), Spawn Termagants
Tervigon, Exoskeleton, Claws & Teeth, Stinger Salvo, Synapse, Brood Progenitor, Psyker (1), Spawn Termagants
Termagant Brood, 15
Termagant Brood, 15

Doom of Malan’tai, Psyker (1), Warp Field, Mycetic Spore
Hive Guard Brood, 3x

Trygon Prime

Gargoyle Brood, 18x
Ymgarl, 8x

Primary Objectives:
1) Victory Points. Win 15 points, Draw 7 points, and Loss 0 points.
2) 4 Objectives, Control more Objectives. Win 10 points, Draw 5 points, Loss 0 points

Secondary Objectives:
Slay the Warlord, First Blood, and Linebreaker, each worth 1 point.

Deployment – Hammer and Anvil
Initiative – Tyranids
No Night Fight first turn

I was unable to steal Initiative.

Tyranid Warlord Trait – ? Nothing of value
Inquisitor Ordo Xenos Warlord Trait – Warlord can choose to pass or fail any Morale checks.
Both my Inquisitors took Prescience.
Tyranid has lots of Psychic abilities; sorry did not jot them down. Henry was rolling a ton of them each turn. But mostly did not affect the game. One of the MCs did have Iron Arm, but it was not with either of his Hive Tyrants.

Pre Deployment:

Turn 1 – Tyranids

Both Flyrants move aggressively up.
Left Tervigon poops out 10 Termagants.

Flyrant on the left shoots at Tallarn Squad with an Inquisitor, they go to ground and only lose a Guardsman.
Nothing else is in range.

Turn 1 – IG

I cast prescience on the Colossus.
IG shuffle around to take aim at both Flyrants.
I ordered the Tallarn Squad that Went-To-Ground to get back into the fight. I ordered other Tallarn Squad to FirstRankSecondRank into the Warlord Flyrant, but do no damage.

I take out the Flyrant to the right (First Blood for the IG), and deal 2 Wounds to the Warlord Flyrant to the left. The Tallarns just have so many shots from Chimera, Autocannons, Plasmaguns, and Lasguns.
Colossus fails to hit the Hive Guards, even with Prescience.

Turn 2 – Tyranids
Reserves – Doom, Trygon show up. Ymargls and Gargoyles fail to show up.

Right Tervigon poops out 12 Termagants
Left Tervigon poops out 5 Termagants, but rolls doubles and can no longer create additional Termagants.

Warlord Flyrant vector strikes empty Chimera and blows it up.
The Doom and the Trygon deep strike into the IG line.

The rest of the Nids move up.

IG Infantry Squad w Inquisitor passes their Leadership on 3d6 from the Doom’s effect.
Trygon does 2 Hull Points of damage on the Command Squad Chimera and stuns it.
Warlord Flyrant does Hull Point damage on another Chimera.

Turn 2 – IG
Reserves – Marbo and both Vendettas show up.
Marbo deep strikes in the middle of the Tyranids Deployment zone. Throws his Demo charge into a Termagants unit and kills 1, while the Colossus kills 2 more.

Vendettas fly in for the kill

Warlord Flyrant and Trygon die from mass Chimera/Autocannon/Plasmagun and Vendetta shots (IG earns Slay the Warlord).

Turn 3 – Tyranids
Reserves – Gargoyles show up, but mishap to Ongoing Reserves. Ymargls fail to show up again.

Doom move up to doom 2 Infantry squads. 1 Infantry Squad w Inquisitor loses a few models and failed their Morale, falls back. Other Infantry Squad w Warlord Inquisitor also loses a few models but pass their Morale. Doom is up to 9 Wounds.

Termagants move up and does 1 Hull Point of damage on a Chimera.

Hive Guard Brood blows up a Vet Chimera; Veterans lose a few and fail their Morale.
Doom wrecks the Command Squad Chimera; Command Squad passes their Pinning check

Termagants on his Deployment Zone kill off Marbo.

T3 – IG
This will be the last turn, as time is running out. Just having 2 hours a round does hinder how much you can do in a game, especially in this game with all the Tyranid Psychic tests and other stuff.

At this point we are tied on Objectives with 2 each.
In kill points, I have both Flyrants and the Trygon.
Henry has 3 destroyed Chimeras, Marbo, and fleeing Veteran Squad that failed to rally and fled off the board this turn.

In my turn, I destroyed the Mycetic Spore and Instant Death the Doom from a Vendetta. All my other shots, I took out the right Termagant unit.
So I win Kill Points, 6 to 5. I actually had another 2 KPs from his Ymargls and Gargoyles still stuck in Reserve.

Hammer and Anvil deployment helped me out in this game.

Win for the IG, 22 – 6
Last edited by tulkasulmar on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby tulkasulmar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:27 am

Game 3: vs Cal Radulescu and his Demons of Chaos/Chaos Space Marine Army
Cal wanted to test out his Demon/CSM Army. He has a lot of converted Demon Princes, GUO and Keeper of Secrets that are still primed. So hard to tell what is what, until they are all painted. Cal mentioned that he was going to bring a 4 Land Raider army with Achilles but decided to test out his Demon Army. Lucky for me he decided to play his Demon/CSM Army, since I forgot all the Meltaguns and Manticore at home.

Warlord Keeper of Secrets – Mastery Level 1, Greater Reward
Great Unclean One – Mastery Level 1 (Iron Arm), Greater Reward (4+ Feel no Pain)
Allied CSM Demon Prince – Mastery Level 3, Armor, Wings, Gift of Mutation, Black Mace

10 Plaguebearers
10 Plaguebearers
5 Chaos Space Marines

Demon Prince of Slaneesh – Mastery Level 2 (Iron Arm, Endurance), Armor, Wings, Greater Reward
Demon Prince of Slaneesh – Mastery Level 2, Armor, Wings, Greater Reward
Demon Prince of Nurgle – Mastery Level 1, Armor, Wings, 2x Greater Reward

I do not remember what each of the DPs and Greater Demon had, but in most cases it did not affect the game.

Primary Objectives:
1) 3 Relics, control the most Relics to win this Objective. Win 15 points, Draw 7 points, Loss 0 points.
2) Victory Points. Win 10 points, Draw 5 points, Loss 0 points.

Secondary Objectives:
Slay the Warlord, First Blood, Linebreaker, each worth 1 point.

Deployment – Dawn of War
Initiative – Imperial Guard
Night Fight first turn

Cal was unable to steal Initiative.

Cal has 2 Relics on his side.

Turn 1 – IG

IG shuffle around to get sight on the hiding Demon Princes and Greater Demons.

I searched light the DP I can see, the center model. I then hit with the Colossus and cause a Wound on 3 DPs and the Keeper of Secret huddled up behind the house. Did not hit the GUO as he was the furthest from the bunch of DPs/KoS.

I do nothing to the CSM on the other side of the board. Another DP is hidden behind this building.

Turn 1 – Demons/CSM

All the DPs fly forward.

Slaneesh DP with Iron Arm lashes and destroys the Colossus.

Turn 2 – IG
Reserves – Vendettas show up, Marbo does not.

Tallarns move to surround the DPs.
I kill the Nurgle DP to the far right.
And kill a Slaneesh DP near my Command Squad Chimera.
Did 2 wounds on the Slaneesh DP that destroyed the Colossus.

Turn 2 – Demons/CSM
Reserves – no one shows up.

Wounded Slaneesh DP vector strikes a Veteran Squad Chimera and destroys it.
Nurgle DP vector strikes the Command Squad Chimera and destroys it.

Turn 3 – IG
Reserves – Marbo shows up.

Marbo kills a CSM with his Demo.
Both Vendettas hover and everything on the left moves to surround the 2 DPs.

Both DPs die to mass shots.
The other 4 CSMs die to mass fire from Chimeras and their occupants.

Turn 3 – Demons/CSM
Reserves – both Plaguebearers show up and move up to both Relics.

GUO and Keeper move towards the IG line.

Turn 4 – IG

IG close in on the far right Plaguebearers

I take out the Keeper from mass fire.

Turn 4 – Demons/CSM

GUO lumbering towards the IG line.

Turn 5:
A lot of maneuvering by the IG closing in on the 2 Plaguebearer units holding 2 Relics, and taking shots at the T10 GUO who is taking forever to reach the IG line.

IG closing in on the Plaguebearers in the Building holding a relic. They went to ground this turn (2+ cover save) to live through all the IG shooting.
Other Plaguebearer unit hidden behind another building to my left.

Turn 6:
I kill off all the Plaguebearers from mass Flamers and shots.

All that is left of the Demons/CSM is the T10 GUO.

Win for the IG 27 to 1.

Cal and I talked a bit about his Army. Cal wanted to have as many MCs on the board and opted for cheaper DPs and Greater Demons. In my builds I preferred Quality over Quantity. All my Greater Demons and DPs will be kitted out to Mastery Level 3 and with 2 Greater Rewards and 1 Lesser Reward. The more Greater Reward rolls gives you more chances to get FNP, +1 Wnd IWND, and/or Reroll Inv save. Taking ML3 gets you more chances to get Iron Arm and/or Endurance from Biomancy. And more chances to get Invisibility from Telepathy. But I usually do not bring more than 2-3 MCs in my Demon Army. I prefer to bring more Troops and Flesh Hounds.
Also, I suggested that if Cal is going to bring the Keeper and GUO that he Deep Strikes the GUO or both. Then wait with his DP until the GUO/KoS shows up. This will give your Opponent lots of targets, that may keep the GUO/KoS alive.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby tulkasulmar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 am

I came in 2nd overall for the Tournament, 1 point away from First Place.
If the Tournament scored Painting, I think I would have won Best Overall. ;)

I had a tough round in game 1 facing 2 Land Raiders, but lucky for me Les was playing passive with his Land Raiders.
In game 2, Hammer and Anvil Deployment helped me out a lot.
In game 3, Cal was being aggressive with his DPs leaving them out in the open to face all the shots from the IG. He could have sat back and flied around his Deployment zone holding on to his 2 Relics and picking me apart a Chimera at a time while I move up to him in his Deployment Zone. But these were Cal’s first few games with his Demon Army, so I lucked out with his learning curve.

AWC Tournament # 8 is in 2 Weeks, and its at 1999 points. I need to bring in the Manticore and make sure some Veterans will be carrying Meltaguns.

Sorry, I couldn’t get more pictures, as time was so limited in this Tournament.
Homer, Draxtar Manager, will be increasing the time allotment in the next Draxtar Tournament.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:27 am

Great job with the battle report. To bad about the time constraints. Thanks for sharing.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby shadedragon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks for posting, Jeff! Was a great game indeed. Like you said, live and learn :) Considering how many games you have under your belt with Daemons, you knew my army much better than I did! I was considering piling the relics on one side and trying to hold them, but I really wanted to see what the DPs can do against that much shooting. I have a few bad rolls (the unit of CSM dying to Autocannon/Flashlight shots comes to mind :)), and a few good ones (Plaguebearers surviving 2 rounds of heavy flamer shooting), but I think in the end I rolled pretty average. I was banking a little too much on the game ending in turn 5 which would have given me the primary with 2 relics, and the fact that the GUO missed something like 3 charges (including one by you killing TWO plasmagunners during overwatch ;)), didn't help either. Considering that the KPs were not that much in your favor (I think you had 8 to my 6 I believe), a little better management on my end and I could have given you a much better game.
Looking forward to the next one!
Cal
There can be only one!
shadedragon

Postby Depayen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Sorry Jeff, work has been terrible.

The list in a nut shell
Emperor Champion (also warlord)
2 14 man crusader squads (Ride in Land Raider Crusaders)
2 6 man crusader squads (Las/Plas) both in rhinos
2 dreadnoughts one a (venerable)
2 Land speeders with Multi-meltas and heavy flamers
Death comes at high Speed!
Here cometh the orangemen!

O'where O'where will I pop in. Go first I will let you shoot at nothing.
Depayen

Postby eltrain728 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Nice reports. What kind of list finished 1st?
eltrain728

Postby tulkasulmar » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:47 pm

eltrain728 wrote:Nice reports. What kind of list finished 1st?

Gary Frank won Overall with a very Shooty Space Marine army.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby Frankthetank » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:55 am

Nice report Jeff!

The list that came in first was
Ultra Marines
Calgar
Tigguruiz
3 Centurion Devs with grav cannons
10 man tac squad Melta Multi melta squad rhino
10 Man tac squad Melta Missile launcher rhino
5 man tac squad melta/Razor back twin linked assault cannon
5 man tac squad Plasma/Razor back twin linked assault cannon
thunder fire cannon x 2
Storm talon x2 sky hammer missiles

I will try and do a battle report during the week It will be my first one so be gentle.
Gary Frank

-Are any of these people available for questioning?
-Not unless you want to stick your head down a tyranid's throat and shout "anyone at home?
Frankthetank

Postby eltrain728 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks for the follow up Gary.

I like that Ultramarine list. I was actually thinking about building a similar list a while back but decide against starting a Space Marine Army from scratch.

I would love to see a report of how the games went.
eltrain728

Postby tulkasulmar » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:11 pm

eltrain728 wrote:Thanks for the follow up Gary.

I like that Ultramarine list. I was actually thinking about building a similar list a while back but decide against starting a Space Marine Army from scratch.

I would love to see a report of how the games went.

From my conversation with Gary, it was mainly Opponents underestimating the firepower of the Centurions. :shock:
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Return to Battle Reports (40K)