Nova and Hobby Change of Direction Rant

Questions & Tips on painting, converting, and photographing models. This is also a great place to show off your latest work.

Nova and Hobby Change of Direction Rant

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 am

Just got back from NOVA. Almost had everything completely painted. I made my biggest mistake that I said I wouldn't. Just didn't get that many practice games beforehand. Which meant I didn't really know what my army could and could not do.

With that said, I did fairly well. I went 3-1 on the first half and was put in bracket 3. I then choked in my bracket and went 2-2, The first loss was due to a tiebrekaer and the second loss was a little suspect. I won't bitch on that, but there was some less then fair things that went down on that.

I guess I've reached a point where I need a little change of pace. I have a blast playing 40k and really enjoy competitive games. I just need to stop painting armies like it's going out of style. My wife will agree with that completely. Some of the 40k big tournament scene has gotten a bit out of hand with Torrent of Fire throwing around phrases like "expert advice" and making the scene some big ego driven top tier crap it's just sucking the fun out of things.

To completely contrast I went over to the Infinity room. Here is where I felt 40k was 15 years ago. A growing competitive scene, people generally enthusiastic about sharing the hobby and getting others engaged, very inclusive. Part of what I miss is really sinking my teeth into a miniature and painting like every model is a hero. When I was a kid on a very limited budget that's what I did. I'd like to get back into that spirit.

In addition to that I really want some eye candy terrain. Really immerse myself in the action, make it a true joy to play on. With Infinity relying on tons of terrain, I want to create that display board effect that I try when I do my more time intensive display boards. To capture that feeling of what the army/story/game is all about.

I've picked up some Ariadna models, I absolutely love the Frenchies. I had to catch myself from thinking right away on my next force, how to expand, all that crap. I'm just going to sit down and really spend some time painting them to a high level, play a ton of games, and make some seriously kick-ass terrain. Once that's done, I'll look at another force - preferably more anime/outrageous (like Nomads or Yu Jing or Pan Oceana).

With the GW Chicago Battle Bunker rumored to close soon, I'm losing my major 40k hang out. This will give me a chance to try the whole infinity hobby out, and work on my gaming basement to get some 40k tables going so I can start hosting mini events / bbq gaming drink fests at my house.

There's my rant. Looking forward to a bit of hobby changing direction!

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Re: Nova and Hobby Change of Direction Rant

Postby swampthing » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:02 pm

so my curiosity was peaked and i went to the Infinity website, cool models, great variety. but the closest store that sells this line is in Milwaukee, WI. is there a decent community for this game here in the Chicagoland area?. i had never heard of it until today.
swampthing

Postby RAMSEY » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:13 pm

They play Infinity at Homer's place(Draxtar Games) in Batavia. They carry the mini's too.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby Tskruse » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm kind of at the same point myself. Like tournaments are a great way for me to get models painted but I get lost in trying to get as much out as possible at the cost of having a really nice looking army. And with codex creep it kinda gets outta hand, especially with how expensive the models are, just to have a current competitive army.

Anyway I'm all for the scenic tables. I'd love to do a few myself but it just always seems like such a huge undertaking for me.

Here's to better painted models!
Check out my stuff on CMON!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/browse/browseid/6668684

***I accept commissions. Just send me a personal message***
Tskruse

Postby Equinox » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:58 pm

I believe there is an Infinity tournament this Saturday at Draxtar Games. Good chance to check out the game, models and player base.
Equinox

Postby seahawk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:24 am

Good crowd for Infinity at New Game In Town at Dekalb, too. Currently the latest craze for half the club.

Some of the 40k big tournament scene has gotten a bit out of hand with Torrent of Fire throwing around phrases like "expert advice" and making the scene some big ego driven top tier crap it's just sucking the fun out of things.
You're right, but it's not limited to 40k. It's an even bigger problem with WHFB (to a lesser extent, Warmachine and MTG), and definitely runs through assorted video games as well (ever seen the Halo forums, or any other? shudder). It's the age we live in now, and nearly any established system is going to acquire that (BFG is safe! for now...).

The source? I feel it's the internet. Where before, people would play whatever they felt like with little communication between groups/nationally/internationally, now we have infinite forums with infinite minds, reducing each and every codex/armybook to its base, hardcore point within a week of release, and if you aren't playing it that way you're a fool. Mass, instantaneous communication and the growing animosity that comes with it has sucked much of the fun out of every game there is.

Hell, there's even youtube videos on how to win Candyland. Seriously?? Who cares, it's a damn children's game!
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby angron888 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 pm

There is a fairly decent sized player base for Infinity. It's played and carried at, Games Plus, Next Dimension, Leisure Hour Hobbies and Draxtar.

We have a Google Group and a Forum, the forum just started in the last couple of weeks.

http://chicagolandinfinity.proboards.com

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!for ... ty-players

It's a great game that rewards tactics over army builds. The tourney scene is very cordial, I haven't encountered any ass-hattery. If you are interested in a demo or a game pm me here or hoe of the links above.
angron888

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:43 am

Angron,

Thanks for posting! I'm super psyched about Infinity. Been frantically building terrain and tables. I should have fairly shortly 4 tables worth of heavy buildings. Now just to get it all painted.

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby ChrisMIronHands » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Leisure Hours hobbies in Joliet sells Infinity and has a small table to play on.... its not a store I'd game at but the guys in there love the game. Talk to Larry or Jonathan in there and they can help you out.
SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES wrote:.....we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States.

Take that city of Chicago!
ChrisMIronHands

Return to Painting & Modeling