Inquisitor codex hits, Imperial armies rejoice

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Inquisitor codex hits, Imperial armies rejoice

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:49 pm

The online Inquisitor Codex was released on Saturday. It's about 25 bucks to download to your reader/tablet. This codex can ally with any Imperial army, marines or Guard, as Battle Brothers. This is huge because the Inquisitors can now attach to squads from IG or CSM and variants. The Inquisitors are basically copied from the GK codex, including Coteaz. A big rule is that Inquisitor Codex, when allied, does NOT take up an ally detachment. What? In other words you can take units from this book as allies AND ally yourself with another codex. IG can take Inquisitor units and ally with Eldar, for example.

Now for the broken stuff, or what will Tim try and take next time. :wink: Inquisitor Battle Brothers is huge. This allows the Inquisitors to attach to squads and bring their abilities with them. All the Inquisitors can draw from the school of Divination and give Prescience to other units. Some of them also can buy Rad Grenades, Psychotroke grenades, and Psycolum. This means the units the Inquisitors attach to can get to BS 10 when shooting at an enemy unit with a Psyker in it. Or whenever they assault they can make the enemy toughness -1 and have to roll on the Psychotroke table.

I can imagine a resurgence of 50-man Guard blob squads who reroll everything and kill Bloodthirsters in assault with those two grenades. Of course you can just shoot the blob to death, it's not auto win.

Two Inquisitors with prescience cost less than a Centurion each and allow a whole host of things in the Marine codex to reroll shooting and combat. Sternguard, Thunderfire cannons, terminator assault squads, etc...

It really seems like a no brainer not to invest a few points into these guys for almost every type of Imperial army.
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: Inquisitor codex hits, Imperial armies rejoice

Postby DaGrippster » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks for the summary, it's getting hard to keep up with all of these supplements... Multiple allies? This is just getting silly, but I do think it is very cool.

What other kind of units can they get? Anything good besides the inquisitors?
DaGrippster

Postby tulkasulmar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:28 pm

They get Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband, same options as the one's in the GK book. Plus can add Priests to the Warband. You can take 3 Warbands that can be scoring. The Inquisitor book allows you to take multiple Inquisitors that can take lots of gear.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:36 pm

How does it work with this tertiary ally thing? Chaos and Guard can be battle brothers.....right....am I right on this??(yikes cant believe I dont remember) So can Inquisitorial allies then ally with guard and there is a chaos detachment as well? How does this tertiary ally thing work exactly?

I do enjoy the variety and spice to the 40k universe that the supplements bring to the game ....I really do. I do worry though that a game that already has a bad stigma for pay to play goes to a .....hope you have the latest digital, cant buy in stores version of a codex, oh and by the way its REALLY powerful when mixed with the latest "can only get from forgeworld" rules for certain faction. Now admittedly Im a bit of a Technophobe so maybe I need to get with the times to keep up with my favorite game, but I dont envy the judges at large events like Adepticon/NOVA when (iPad supplements/ forgeworld units) are getting released in various media formats in different months heading to a specific tournament date.
Last edited by Norbu the Destroyer on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby DaGrippster » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:56 pm

So is it mostly copy paste from grey knights? Or are there some new tricks?

Obviously the biggest thing is battle bros with all imperials.
DaGrippster

Postby tulkasulmar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Lots of copy and paste from the GK and Adeptas Sororitas books.

Condemnor Boltgun has been updated that you have to wound the Psyker for the Psyker to take Perils.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby tg787 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Fred you're right I cannot tell you how many times that I have wanted just one extra Inquisitor. now I can take 4 total.
tg787

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:36 am

The Inquisitors are battle a brothers to the imperial units and can not join or affect with powers any unit that isn't a battle brother. So you can have IG + chaos + Inquisitors but the Inquisitors can not affect the chaos units in any way.

Also I forgot to mention that when you take Inquisitor units you do not need to take any troops from their book. 1-2 Inquisitors and nothing else is perfectly legal.

I agree with you Norbu. I thought it was getting to be to much when they allowed allies, but now it's just jumped the shark.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby swampthing » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Norbu the Destroyer wrote:but I dont envy the judges at large events like Adepticon/NOVA when (iPad supplements/ forgeworld units) are getting released in various media formats in different months heading to a specific tournament date.

Yeah, I brought this up about a month ago (Ref: Supplement Suffocation) . I think itll be a problem even at small events, i.e. AWC.
swampthing

Return to Tactics (40K)