New Space Marine Codex

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

New Space Marine Codex

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Here are my initial thoughts.

No more null zone :(

Librarians can only be level 2.

The short range of Grav guns will be their competitive undoing. What do they do that a plasmagun doesn't? The advantages are minimal, but the range difference can be all the difference.

I don't see anything that can stand up to 4 Riptides with a buff commander.

Attack bikes went up 5pts each

Razorbacks went up, but their gun options went down. This makes the Lascannon versions 5pts cheaper and the heavy Bolter options 10pts more expensive.

Thunderfire is now barrage. There is no escaping it now.

TH/SS termies are 5pts more expensive. There are a bunch of 5-10pt price increases/decreases. Maybe I'm thinking of social engineering through the tax code to much, but I'm not sure what their ultimate goal is in this.

The two new tanks, Hunter and Stalker, I'm just not sure about. They have Skyfire, but without the interceptor rule not only will they get shot down by the flyer as it comes in, but more importantly they can only snap fire at non flyers. I wouldn't take them.

I noticed the Stormravens missiles are ap2 while the Blood Angel missiles are ap1. Just something I noticed.

Bikes are very cheaper. Assault marines are also very cheap.

Not a fan of the Centurian rules. To expensive for the shots and Buff Riptides will blow them off the board. I like predators better.

I'm sure there are ally combinations that will work with this codex. But as a stand alone force it initially appears the marines will make a lateral move in power. Ok, but not drop dead power. Let me repeat I am not looking at them with allies either way, just as a stand alone list.
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: New Space Marine Codex

Postby swampthing » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:45 pm

can I bitch and moan about the Black Templar on this thread? wow, back on the shelf for these guys. I had such high hopes. Only thing to do is pray for a supplement. :cry:
swampthing

Postby Redbeard » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:Librarians can only be level 2.

But Tigurius is Level 3, with some nice perks. And can take divination.

The short range of Grav guns will be their competitive undoing. What do they do that a plasmagun doesn't? The advantages are minimal, but the range difference can be all the difference.

I think it depends on the rest of the meta. With more and more MCs and fewer and fewer vehicles, I think grav guns can find a place. While they don't do anything plasma doesn't do, they do some things more efficiently (multiple shots). They've got a bigger range for 2 shots (24" threat radius to get 2 shots off, instead of 18" for plasma), and the potential for 3 shots too.

I don't see anything that can stand up to 4 Riptides with a buff commander.

As you've said before, Marines do better with balanced lists, but the weakness for balanced lists is the lists that overemphasize one thing. If you can get them in range, grav-cannon centurions might be an answer, but the first part of that is the trick. I think the biggest weakness of the centurions is no drop-pod/teleport option.

Is there anything, in any codex, that stands up to that? Maybe the screamer-star?

Thunderfire is now barrage. There is no escaping it now.

Unless you're under a roof... still, the added sniping possibility without increase in cost has to be an improvement for one of the better support pieces in the codex.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:57 am

A few gems I found at first glance.

White Scars bike list is pretty good. Grav guns on bikes benefit from relentless so you can kit out two of those on a 4 man & one attack bike troop platform. That's 6 shots & 1 multi-melta that can assassinate riptides. The challenge is you really need to go first, which on 50/50 odds I seem to win that roll only 1/6 of the time!

Otherwise just taking a minimum 3 man bike squad with 2 grav guns is a nice support team to take out big nasties (in non white scars armies).

The whole scouting land raider thing is nothing new (with raven guard), but combined with some scouting vindicators could be fun. Again, this isn't new, but Eldar and Tau are not bringing a ton of anti armor 13/14 these days. Might do OK. Question is can you handle flyers?

I really like the fists armies too. Rerolling 1's on bolters is huge and having devestators with tank hunter is nothing to laugh at. Combined with some fortifications, it could make for an interesting firebase. I'd probably work in some pods with that as well.
Cptn_Snuggles

Return to Tactics (40K)