Is this list as bad as I think it is? (Khorne CSM)

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Is this list as bad as I think it is? (Khorne CSM)

Postby Tskruse » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 pm

HQ:
Daemon Prince-230
-Mark of Khorne
-Wings
-Power Armour
-Gift of Mutation

Chaos Lord-185
-Plasma Pistol
-Sigil of Corruption
-Juggernaut of Khorne
-Axe of Blind Fury
-Mark of Khorne

Troops:
16 Khorne Berzerkers-409
-2 Plasma Pistols
-Berzerker CHampion w/ Gift of Mutation
Power Fist and a Plasma pistol
-Icon of Wrath

16 Khorne Berzerkers-409
-2 Plasma Pistols
-Berzerker CHampion w/ Gift of Mutation
Power Fist and a Plasma pistol
-Icon of Wrath

Elite:
8 Possessed-267
-2 Gifts of Mutation
-Mark of Khorne
-Icon of Wrath
Rhino-45
-Dirge Caster and Dozerblade

8 Possessed-267
-2 Gifts of Mutation
-Mark of Khorne
-Icon of Wrath
Rhino-45
-Dirge Caster and Dozerblade

Fast attack:
4 Chaos Spawn-128
-Mark of Khorne

4 Chaos Spawn-128
-Mark of Khorne

Heavy SUpport:
Maulerfiend-125

Maulerfiend-125

Comes to about 2250.

The theme behind it is this legion of marines became stranded on this planet that contained this labyrinth that grants them abilities and mutations. They have developed ceremonies and rituals revolving around this and basically the goal of the marines is to reach ascension by reaching the heart of the labyrinth and becoming more like The Great Minotaur. I could go on I think I have about five pages of back story.

Anyway, it's a heavily converted army with minimal changes to the berzerkers (just some cloaks.) However, the Possessed I have kit bashed with some Beastmen Bestigors. The spawn I am using Beastmen Minotaurs. The Maulerfiends I want to modify and add some horns to its head and make it a bit more fleshy (and furry.)

So yeah, I don't have any experience with chaos but started some projects a while ago and wanna flesh it out into an army so If y'all could help me out with some advice on where my strengths and weakness are in the army and maybe some tactics.
Check out my stuff on CMON!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/browse/browseid/6668684

***I accept commissions. Just send me a personal message***
Tskruse

Re: Is this list as bad as I think it is? (Khorne CSM)

Postby Lord Krungharr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:00 am

Well I think this is a really fun list; I love those magic numbers!

However, never put the Mark of Khorne on Spawn, they already have Rage in their rules, so it's pretty much a waste of points. I would also take a single unit of 5 Spawn over 2 units of 4, just as a meatshield for the JuggerAxeLord (who is certainly one of the best CSM units).

I do like Fists on my Berzerker Champions because of the extra attack, however they are quite expensive and because of Challenge requirements, I prefer power mauls or swords at Init 4. Save some points there.

The Maulerfiends are cool, but I recommend never using more than 1. It rarely survives to make it into combat, but it can be a good pressure unit, forcing the enemy to take care of something. Take 1 and just keep the magma cutters, as it is best used as anti-tank, though it can be a bit of a tarpit to some Troops (or Devastator types)...most MCs will Smash it to bits before it strikes.

Now remember what Kharn says, "Kill, maim, BURN!".....so see if you can fit a Heldrake in there somewhere. The Daemon Prince could be given the Burning Brand of Skalathrax to make for a sort of mini-Drake, not a bad option for a Khorne Prince (I think Kharn should be able to take it though!).

Lastly, your Troops will suffer horribly as they run across the battlefield, though if your enemy focuses on them, they'll pay for it by not squashing the other fast choppy units you have. So rather than the Daemon Prince, I might suggest Huron Blackheart, and put him with a Possessed or Berzerker unit. Make him the Warlord and you will be able to nominate up to D3 infantry units to Infiltrate. This will give you some options that will get your murder squads forward much faster than normal. Rhinos can be handy, but take the Dirge Casters for sure (Dozer blades are also very useful).

Just remember you can't assault after disembarking from Rhinos; and you can't assault in the first player turn of the 1st game turn...but if you go 2nd, then you could assault in your first turn after Infiltrating.

When I run my Khorne lists I usually like to put my objectives towards the enemy, and not in cover. This allows you to catch them in the open with your units that lack assault grenades as they go for that objective, whilst your burning and Berzerkering clears out their units in cover.

Good luck!
Lord Krungharr

Postby Tskruse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Hey, thanks for the input!

I definitely agree with changing the Power Fist on the Berzerker squads.

I had the 2 units of Spawns and 2 Maulerfiends to get up the field fast and create some target saturation to allow my berzerkers to get up the field. Actually now that I think about it I basically designed all the units that way. But, I see what you're saying. And dropping MoK on the Spawn seems like a good idea too.

I absolutely love the idea using Huron. I haven't even looked at Special Characters but that's really intriguing.

I'm gonna play around a little now. :)

Another thought I just had was to add a detachment of Daemons to the army and perhaps still include a DP or perhaps a Bloodthrister and a unit of b-letters and Hounds.

Tskruse

Postby Lord Krungharr » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:36 am

Always a pleasure brainstorming about Chaos armies! Adding the Daemons is a really good idea. I think if you dropped the CSM DP and a unit of Possessed you could get 20 Bloodletters and a Bloodthirster (w an Exalted and Greater Reward, or 2 Greater Rewards and 1 Lesser) w 17 points to spare. Both Daemons units will surpass the others in performance, and the 'Letters can score objectives too.

Then if you drop 1 unit of Spawn and the Marks on the Spawn, you still have enough for some Flesh Hounds and the JuggerLord's Spawn unit of 5.

For more competitiveness I would still drop the other Possessed and/or Maulerfiend in favor of a Heldrake and Huron Blackheart, but I think they could still work. Huron could nominate the Bloodletters for Infiltrate too by the way :)

Once I get my Bloodletters painted I'm gonna try this out too....
Lord Krungharr

Postby Tskruse » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Yeah as soon as I finish my necrons I'm gonna start on this for sure. I'll let you know how it goes when I play a couple games with it.

Tskruse

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Necrons eh? Chaos can take them as Allies, how convenient :) I'd rather get a Riptide, Crisis Commander, and some Firewarriors though. They do amazing things on a Skyshield Landing Pad!
Lord Krungharr

Return to Army Lists (40K)