A Wraithknight in Marengo

You just finished the best 40K game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

A Wraithknight in Marengo

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:34 am

Les and I got in a game at his place in Marengo. I was itching to try out the new Eldar rules.

Farseer
Spiritseer
9 dire avengers
9 dire avengers
10 rangers
10 Wraithguard
3 Jetbikes, cannon
10 guardians, missile
10 guardians, bright lance
9 warp spiders
Wraithlord, brightlance, sword
Wraithlord, starcannon, sword
Wraithknight

Looking over my list right now I see I brought 7 troops. Some people might think that odd, buts that's how the game is played in Marengo.

Les had an old Dark Angels mechanized list led by two special characters. He deployed an ADL with quad gun in the center of a hammer and anvil deployment. Inside was a Lazerback and vindicator along with a combat squad with missile. To its left was a rhino with 10 guys and another Lazerback. On the right of the ADL was a predator annihilator, a Devastator squad with 4 missiles, a scout squad with a missile and a third Lazerback.

Summary

The Wraithknight died on turn 2 to heavy missile and Lascannon fire. I was in area terrain the whole time, but blew every cover save. So much fire was devoted to killing it that the Wraithguard and Warp spiders made it up close. They blew up some vehicles and caused a wide spread panic. Wide enough that when the knight died the DA army turned to face them. The WraithGuard were bunked down in 2+ cover near the ADL and would not budge. The Spiders were whittled down to one guy who managed to get all the way across the board and into the Angels far back board edge to hide. Those Warp Spiders move very fast now.

Les had to much intense fire, and while the Wraithguard were safe at midboard in 2+ cover, the rest of my army started to fall back out of range of the heavy guns. I was ahead in kill points( the primary of this game), when les made a play for Linebreaker with a Lazerback squad. I managed to wreck the vehicle with a lucky sniper hit and that ended the Linebreaker threat.

On the last turn a salvo of missile caused my rangers to fail morale and flee. This was important because the Farseer was attached to the unit and he fled also. This netted Les two KP and Warlord and we were tied. On my turn I took my 7th troop choice, the Jetbikes, and flew into his deployment zone for Linebreaker and the 9-8 Pyrrhic victory.

Is the Wraithknight worth it? Not against somebody who brings a predator annihilator and missile devestators. In hindsite I deployed second and could have kept him away from those units, but I thought the knight could withstand the fire and I was wrong. I will try him out again in a different list I think he can shine in better.

The Wraithguard won me this game as they soaked up a lot of fire and killed a bunch of things. More importantly they kept the DA out of the center of the board.

The Warp Spiders were great. They hit hard and move very fast. The Dire Avengers were also good. Battle Focus and that 18" range made them effective. Guardians only shot their platforms. They just could get that's close to fire their catapults.
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: A Wraithknight in Marengo

Postby moonshadow13 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 am

I am working on my list as well for the Eldar. My problem is I keep reading the book when I am going to bed and mix up my rules explanation to Les. I am jelious you got to test your Eldar first against Les, but RL is interfering with my ability to play or paint anything for that matter. Lucky 95% of my eldar are fully painted. Once I get a few test runs in I might have to play the crap out of then till I can get all my new Tau painted. Wait till you see the colors I am using for the tau :) (just a hint: GO Bears!!)
The new Tau = Death at 30"

Time to bring the Pain!!! For the greater good :)
moonshadow13

Postby seahawk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:21 am

I've played two games so far, and I've learned the following:

- Karandras is a BEAST
- Scorpions are still the assault kings, especially led by a claw exarch
- Shuriken is so much better
- Guardians and guardian-crewed vehicles are so much better
- All-lance warwalkers are the way to go
- A unit of 10 Dark Reapers with starshot missiles makes it dead
- New fire modes on the Fire Prism are awesome
- Holo-fields are still awesome
- Farseer psychic powers blow absolute chunks
- Warlock psychic powers are teh shiz, but hard to cast and impossible to plan for

I don't use any wraiths, so no comment on that, but if you use any then there's absolutely no reason not to use the Iyanden supplement, which is simply Codex: Eldar+. Seriously, you get a 5th table of warlord traits to choose from, extra relics, and extra rules with zero drawbacks. Oh wait, there's one, you don't get Conceal for Warlocks. :roll:
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:23 am

Well, you nede to find a copy of codex iyanden, which is apparently sold out everywhere. And people say FW books are hard to come by.
"Availability: No Longer Available"
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:04 am

There are some nice things in codex Iyanden, but I still like the Conceal/Reveal power. That and I don't want to pay 50 bucks for 2 pages of rules.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby seahawk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:49 am

There are other sources of course. Not that we promote such things *ahemahem harrump*
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Return to Battle Reports (40K)