Black Legion List - thoughts?

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Black Legion List - thoughts?

Postby cjputrich » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:03 pm

I've been messing around with some fluffy list ideas. Here is what I'm thinking for 1500 points:

HQ - Abaddon the Despoiler

Troops - 8 chosen (2 flamers, 2 with pairs of lightning claws, 1 power fist, champ w/power mail) with Rhino
Troops - 8 chosen (2 plasma guns, 2 power axes, 1 power fist, champ w/power weapon)

Elite - Hellbrute
Elite - Hellbrute

Fast - Heldrake with Baleflamer
Fast - 5 Raptors with melta and flamer, MoK, icon of wrath, champ with power sword

Heavy - Forgefiend

Not sure if I should swap out the raptors with a vindicator, I just love the models. Also, right now, Abaddon goes with the Raptors.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Re: Black Legion List - thoughts?

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:59 pm

I too have been thinking about using some vanilla style CSM armies lately. For this list I would recommend dropping the Forgefiend, Rhino, and Powerfist from one of the Chosen. That will buy you a Land Raider with Dirge Caster and Dozer Blade. Then Abaddon and a Chosen unit can ride up 12", flat out 6" to be in assault (hopefully) on Turn 2. Having him Deepstrike in with the Raptors means he won't be able to assault at best by Turn 3, plus the scatter chance could ruin your plan.

I would also probably make the Raptors dirt cheap with just either 2 flamers or 2 melta guns, and give them a specific target. That would free up the points for another Rhino (don't forget the Dirge and Dozer!) for the other Chosen unit.

Of course 2 scoring units is never great, but you could drop a Dread-hell and beef up the scoring units and/or take some Cultists, or a Vindicator maybe.
Lord Krungharr

Re: Black Legion List - thoughts?

Postby cjputrich » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't have a Land Raider presently, but I like that idea - brings up a good point about deep striking as well.

I just worry that I don't have much heavy firepower without the Fiend. I know a Land Raider can bring it, but moving that fast would limit the guns it could fire with much less odds of hitting. Or is the idea that this would get Abaddon and the Chosen into close combat so fast that shooting wouldn't matter?
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Return to Army Lists (40K)