Suggestions for IG army

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Suggestions for IG army

Postby prion2001 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm slowly putting together some IG (Cadians) and was hoping for some advice on options for my HQ and Platoons. In particular I wondered what sort of upgrades and additions might be worth taking? (i.e. grenade launcher, flamer, power weapons, power fists, krak grenades, plasma weapons, vox casters, standards, etc.)

I have no plans for competitve play (maybe AWC tournament series or 40k Friendly at most). I'm mostly looking to get in games with other players I know so a killer list is not what I'm concerned about. Just want to take weapon upgrades that will be most useful against most armies. In general, I just want a well rounded infantry list for some friendly games.

Thanks

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Re: Suggestions for IG army

Postby Redbeard » Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 pm

I think voxes are mostly useless in the current IG codex. Rather than increase the range of your orders (as you would expect), they give a reroll to understand, and it ends up being a few points to get it to work for not a lot of improvement.

Common weapons seen:
plasma and melta, especially on veteran squads
flamers on platoon squads
I think all the heavy weapons, except perhaps mortars, have a good use.

Power fists/weapons are useful if you plan to use a blob with someone to give it some sticking power, but if you're looking for more shooty, you can probably avoid them.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu May 02, 2013 3:00 pm

For your platoons I would try and stick with special and heavy weapons close in strength. That way they can both fire at the same target and be effective.

Plasma + Autocannon
Grenade Launcher + Autocannon or Heavy Bolter or Morter
Meltagun + Missile or Lascannon

Morter Heavy Weapon teams and Morters in general are much better in 6th edition. You can snipe out models in a unit if you get the 'hit' on the scatter dice.

If you want to blob up a platoon I would take power exes and flamers, but that's what the top lists are taking if you want to go that route.

HQ's are good for 4 flamers or 4 meltas or 4 plasmas. I would keep them in a chimera because it is easy to kill a 5-man squad in the open. If you want to keep them in the open, then give them a weapon that won't draw a lot of attention like a lone missile launcher.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby tulkasulmar » Fri May 03, 2013 6:26 pm

The best way to run your Platoon Infantry Squads is to arm them cheap. Just having BS3, not worth it to spend the points on the expensive Meltaguns or Plasmaguns.

Just go with either Flamers or Autocannons for your Infantry Squads.

Veteran Squads are best suited for taking 3 Meltaguns or 3 Plasmaguns. Also, consider taking an Autocannon with the Veteran Squads.

However you upgrade your Command HQ, you will need to take a Chimera to keep them alive. Unless you plan on riding a Vendetta with them.

IG squads are not built for versatility. Pick a role for each Squad and arm them accordingly.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby prion2001 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.

When you talk about "blob" do you mean fielding large platoons and swamp enemies in hand-to-hand?

I currently have standard platoons and a heavy weapons platoon added on with three weapons. I was thinking about Autocannons so glad to see I was potentially on the right track there at least. Is it better to add a heavy weapon to each platoon or keep them separated out?

Thanks

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby tulkasulmar » Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 pm

When you talk about "blob" do you mean fielding large platoons and swamp enemies in hand-to-hand?

Yes, taking 2-5 Infantry Squads. Arming the Sgts w Power Axe, and taking a Commissar (make the Blob Squad Stubborn) with one of the Infantry Squad.

I currently have standard platoons and a heavy weapons platoon added on with three weapons. I was thinking about Autocannons so glad to see I was potentially on the right track there at least. Is it better to add a heavy weapon to each platoon or keep them separated out?

Heavy Weapon Squads are great, but they die quickly. If you are planning on taking Heavy Weapon Squads then go with a lot of them. Saturate the battlefield with them. If you have the points. I usually just take Platoon Infantry Squads w Autocannons. It gives the Autocannon model 8 wounds before it takes any wounds.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby Lord Krungharr » Thu May 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Excellent advice on the blob squads. I've been wanting to do something new and cool with my traitorous IG detachment. The 3 meltagun Vet Squad in a Vendetta has worked out quite well for me so far, and I like putting a demo charge in there too (not to mention the melta bombs) if I have the 30 points.

I didn't think of the BS3, that would make for some crappy plasma gunning. Maybe I'll go with flamers then, and some autocannons that can sit back and fire whilst the blob strings out to march forward, mortars are kinda weak aren't they? I'm also going to give them that cheaper Commissar instead of the Lord Commissar like I originally thought. Then I can use the 2 HQs for Primaris Psykers, that could buff the squad a bunch with some powers if I get lucky. Power axes are good, I can kill off the regular dudes to let the Sgts. strike at their leisurely I1.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Fri May 17, 2013 8:43 am

I do like mortar heavy weapon teams as support squads. Three of them are cheap, scoring and usually ignored by the opponent. Great thing is you can put them out of line of sight to help hold an objective while they annoy with sniping indirect fire.

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Return to Army Lists (40K)