First games with the new rules

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

First games with the new rules

Postby BrentS » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:45 pm

I met up with Dark Dragon and we played two games at Unique Gifts and Games in Grayslake. Had a great time playing two games and tested out some of the new rules. For game 1, I brought an all mounted Rohan force led by Erkenbrand and two captains. 21 Westfold Riders and 4 Sons of Eorl. DD brought 34 Goblins, A Dweller in the Dark and the Watcher in the Water. My dice (especially priority dice) didn't favor me and I found myself getting punked by the two monsters. A couple things I learned...

1) Epic Strike is huge when you are battling against a monster/hero that out fights you
2) The watcher is nasty to play against. You have to find a way to kill it quickly (which isn't easy to do!)
3) New rules really do hurt the archery aspect. Even 21 bows had a hard time doing any appreciable damage when they hit on 5+ and there is a lot of sturdy terrain for the 4+ and 5+ in the ways.

Game two was my Ent force vs Isengard (Mahur with super scouts and White Hand with a load of bezerkers and pikes). This one was going to be my "fun force" to try out some new monster rules. Here's what I learned in this game:

1) Ents kick major butt with the new rules... until you run into an Epic Strike with 6 pike armed Uruks in tow. Then Ents can die very quickly.
2) Throwing models around is tremendous fun!

For whatever reason, neither of us used or found a reason to use the special strikes rules. I still need to test those out!

All in all it was a fun day and great to get out play a couple games.
BrentS

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)