Worthy of Mordor at 1K

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Worthy of Mordor at 1K

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Hello All,

Tim's been telling me about how the Necromancer is so nice now that they have upgraded Chill Soul. I looked at it, and I still can't justify 250 points if I want to have any amount of troops, also. It did get me interested in my Mordor stuff again, though, so here's what I came up with for a 1K army.

Six warbands seems like a good target to aim for; fortunately, Mordor has plenty of cheap troops and I have allied in the Misty Mountains to get even cheaper troops. I've also paired-up my warbands, so they can hopefully support each other with synergy!

1st Warband: The Shadowlord on Fell Beast with 12 Black Numenorians.

A terrifying, flying monster with bodyguards made even more terrifying. What's not to like?

2nd Warband: Orc Captain with shield, 12 Orcs with spears.

Fighting support for the Black Numenorians, and a few more Might points to launch the Shadowlord around with.

3rd Warband: The Goblin King and 12 Goblins.

The Goblin King is absurdly powerful, and Goblins are cheap fodder. The epitome of min-max, eh?

4th Warband: Grinnah the Goblin and 12 Goblins.

An extra Might point and some more fodder.

5th Warband: Khardush the Firecaller and 8 Orcs, and 4 Orcs with spears and shields.

Since the new rules for Fury came out, Khardush is not as good for using the Fury spell. I plan on just using him as a flamethrower, and a battery for the Shadowlord. Fury isn't as important to me anyhow, since I don't have a pure-Orc army.

6th Warband: Captain of the Black Guard, 9 Black Guard, Black Guard Banner and a random Orc.

The BG Captain is inspired by the Shadow Lord and a great fighter. The banner gives me a point in some scenarios and helps the BG fight. The Orc is just there to make up points and polish the boots of the BG.

998 points, 77 models. The three main fighting heroes are the Shadowlord, the Goblin King and the Black Guard captain, and they have plenty of troops and magic to support them. Good times, I think!

BdS
BaronDeSade

Re: Worthy of Mordor at 1K

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 pm

Ouch! I can see that force being difficult to deal with. That's a pretty solid HQ unit around the Shadowlord.

No bows? Obviously you are buying into the belief that bow fire has been neutered, though I'm not so sure you're wrong.

Unfortunately I won't be available this Friday for a game. I have to go to Stockton to pick up my daughter from her school.
Smeagol

Re: Worthy of Mordor at 1K

Postby BaronDeSade » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am

No bows, because the only bows I would have available would be Orc bows, and those are crappy. Besides, with the Shadowlord leading, it's not like I am going to be out-shot in any serious way.

Glad you like it! :D
BaronDeSade

Return to Army Lists (LotR)