Daemon Lords and viability

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Daemon Lords and viability

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Has anyone tried Scabiethrax in an Epidemius list lately, since they took him down to 6 wounds? He's got FNP now, but I was wondering how he might hold up in, let's say, a 2500 point game, with Fatty PooPoo in the Primary Detachment?

Being so expensive in points, seems like it could be risky, especially as he can only waddle 6" per turn, although now Gargantuans can assault 3D6". The problem I see is the rest of the army would lack enough other long range firepower to counter armor, and more importantly, flyers. I think vs Hordes it would fare reasonably well though, he's got the Hellstorm, and once the Tally got jacked up the Troops would be pretty tough to handle. I also like his effect similar to the Black Mace's Curse, but again, he's slow.

My other Daemon Lord idea would be using the Tzeentch Daemon Lord, Slayer of Souls. But he's even more points, though much faster. I'd be more inclined towards that one if he were to count as a Flying Gargantuan Creature, about which I've inquired to the Adepticon FAQ submission form.

Things are brighter to me for the Daemon Lords as Angraath, Scabiethrax, and Zarakynel can start on the table deployed normally OR come in deepstriking like a Daemon. Did anyone else notice the Daemon Lords count as Heavy Support choices in the Adepticon Apoc Allowable units? Hmmmmm, veeeery interesting!
Lord Krungharr

Re: Daemon Lords and viability

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:21 am

Les and I ran Scabbie and Big Bird respectively at the AWC event in May or June of this year. We met on the top table in the final round.

Scabbie does good things for Nurgle, and he's a huge deterrent for other big things. I was running big bird away from him all game because if we were tied up in assault, I'd lose my shooting.

Speaking of which, shooting is why big bird is the best of all the big daemon things. At best, the others can do two things a turn. I think the other three all have one shooting attack, and then a potential charge. Given that they cannot even sweeping advance units, especially marine units, and cannot tie them up in combat, you're looking at limited damage potential, doubly-so if your opponent is not running anything big enough to be worth killing.

Big bird, on the other hand, can do a ton of things each turn. From memory, he can gaze a unit (at 48"), bolt of tzeentch a large blast template, summon a unit of horrors, drop a flamer template that turns things into spawn, and then assault (an entirely different unit even). That's five different threats he's putting out each turn, three of which have the potential to wipe an entire unit (the template, the flamer and the assault). The flamer-gift-of-chaos will win games singlehandedly against T3 or worse foot armies, and a S8 AP2 large blast will do a number against terminator-heavy armies.

Plus, flamers and screamer are good now, so tzeentch right?

Being a flying Gargantuan or not is really irrelevant. Yeah, he's half your points, but of all the daemons, he's the only one that's likely to make his points back. Just remember to stock up on chaos spawn models :)
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:47 am

I think you sold me! Especially now that blasts hit at full strength on vehicles without the hole over them. And as it happens I have 10 Spawn models now :mrgreen:

Too bad his Horrors don't count as scoring units, but they don't count as Kill Points either. I think they could be Denial units however. That's a good one for the FAQ.
Lord Krungharr

Postby seahawk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:42 pm

My friend uses him often enough. It's something evil!!!
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Next weekend we're doing a huge Apocalypse game down here, I think 8 people with 6k points each. That'll be excellent practice for my Birdo. Maybe I'll even have a good enough enemy parking lot to try the Staff of Cataclysm.....
Lord Krungharr

Postby seahawk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Big bird is pretty scary. Another friend uses him nicely :D
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Return to Tactics (40K)