!st Battle with the new rules

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

!st Battle with the new rules

Postby prion2001 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:31 am

I got the chance to play my first game with the new Hobbit SBG rules and decided to post a recap and rules commentary on my blog.

http://fivearmies.blogspot.com/

The game is the same game with (IMHO) interesting and positive tweaks. There will be some "discussion" especially in relation of tournament play but all in all I had a great game and I'm stoked to paint and play more LotR. And if I can raid my kids college fund maybe buy a new model here or there. :roll:

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Re: !st Battle with the new rules

Postby Trollboy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Jamie- less cry baby , better dice rolling!
Trollboy

Postby BrentS » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Glad to see that even with a new game addition the standards that are your dice rolling are unchanged!

Concerning the new special strikes rule. My initial thoughts are that since the special strikes are optional, if you want to take advantage of them, you should ensure your model is WYSIWYG. If you don't want to model an axe, dagger, or sword, then you could still claim a hand weapon but not use the special strikes. Anyway, unless I hear a compelling argument against this, I think that is how I would rule at BBB.
BrentS

Postby Lordgoober » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12 am

how bout the models where it isn't fully clear?
Lordgoober

Postby Smeagol » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:14 pm

Lordgoober wrote:how bout the models where it isn't fully clear?

Most models have a sword scabbards and hense swords. In discussions I've had on the subject the best method is to be clear and consistant. If it's not clear then make it clear verbally and don't mix and match. All questionable models have swords or all have axes and not a mix of both.
Last edited by Smeagol on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Derg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 pm

What about having the default be a hand weapon of the same type as what the two handed weapon is, unless WYSWIG. Example, Khazad Guard have two handed axes, so their hand weapon is an axe.

Though the simplest solution is probably if there's no one handed weapon showing, they can use the one handed hand weapon but no special strikes.

In any case as long as it's ruled consistently, it shouldn't be a problem.
Derg

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:23 am

A couple of exmples why this might be resisted.

Khandish warriors and heroes all carry axes. Half of the horsemen carry axes, the other half are shooting bows. You would be telling that player that half of his archers can't use piercing strikes. That sounds arbitrary to that player.

Rohirrim warriors and heroes carry swords or axes. Their horsemen do as well. What weapon do the throwing spear models use as a hand weapon? What about their bow firing brethren. Again you would penalize a fighting force that already has to struggle? That smacks of being unfair as that force already suffers from the increase in monsters and the penalties for moving and shooting.

WYSIWYG would be the best option, but not all models lend themselves to that mode.
Last edited by Smeagol on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Derg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:46 am

Good points. I was just brainstorming a suggestion. In any case there's nothing to stop someone from doing conversions other than the general lack of bits that are appropriately scaled for Hobbit figs.

The earlier suggestion of "all hand weapons are daggers unless shown otherwise" is a reasonable solution isn't it?
Derg

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)