Making the Tallymaster work with Chaos Marines

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Making the Tallymaster work with Chaos Marines

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:35 pm

I really want to try my hand at the tally of Nurgle again, using mostly marked units of Chaos Space Marines to do it.

My Daemon ally portion will probably just be Epidemus with a small nurgling squad and a smallish plaguebearer squad.

Here are elements in the Chaos Codex that could really get nasty either starting the tally up or benefiting from it in the end-game. I love the fact that the FAQ said that ranged attacks benefit from the highest tally result of no armor saves... makes bolters ridiculous. With the focus to more on infantry in this edition, this might be a valid army.

Here's units I like. Obviously all will have mark of nurgle

- Chaos marine squad with a couple of assault weapons and champion and vets of the long war. Squads of 15, running up midfield.
- Obviously, death guard, but damn they are expensive!
- bikes. toughness 6 bikes are way too tempting
- havocs. Put in 4 autocannons on them and pump out lots of anti infantry fire.
- oblits. I think they may be mandatory, at least one squad
- spawn. Two squads of them can mix it up fast with blob squads and put serious hurt down
- cultists with the lord attached (to make them fearless). If the tally gets up they wound on two and ignore armor saves. Nasty for 6 points.

The trick is that each squad runs in the 200-300 range. It's hard to figure out a balance. The daemon contingent can cost as little as 170 points or so.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Cptn_Snuggles on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cptn_Snuggles

Re: Making the Tallymaster work with Chaos Marines

Postby Lord Krungharr » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:24 pm

I too have been itching to make this work. Here's what I fielded last weekend with fair results vs a Black legion Chaos army:

All had Mark of Nurgle except the Zombies, because they can't take options. I took 35 because I'm damn sure they'll FAQ that and say extra dudes are okay with regard to the Zombie 'no options' crap.
HQ: Lord/Bike/Brand of Skalathrax
HQ: Typhus
Fast: 5 Spawn (w Biker Lord)
Fast: Heldrake
T1: 35 Zombies (just to bubble wrap Typhus)
T2: 10 PlagueMarines/2MeltaGuns/Rhino/Dozer Blade
Heavy: 3 Oblits

HQ: Epidemius
T1: Plaguebearers x15
Heavy: DaemonPrince/Wings/Iron Hide/Breath of Chaos

Epi with the bearers are nearly impossible to kill anyway, not to mention after they get FNP on a 3+. So I always like to have him with that many Bearers as it's a super solid scoring unit, nobody ever gets my objective that they hold. The Biker Lord with Spawn are a must, super fast and potentially a crap load of nasty attacks.
Zombies I would actually not take, I like your Marked Cultists better, as they can gain for the Tally and benefit from it. I haven't tried the Nurglings cuz I sold mine, but I guess they're real cheap so worth a shot. But they can die so easily to S6 shots as they don't have FNP.

I have another more shooty version of the Nurgle Bomb like you have written I'll try this weekend, I'll post how it goes vs. those damn drop pod Minotaurs :) I'm trying to design a list that would be generally competitive in a tournament, so it has more anti-air (busting out the Flakk), but Oblits with assault cannons are hopefully also good anti-air. We'll see how it fares vs the Necron guy if he's around this weekend.
Lord Krungharr

Postby seahawk » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:06 am

But but...sacred number 7! :P
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:16 pm

I had 7x5 Zombies...of course they didn't actually have the Mark of Nurgle....Lucky 7s next time!
Lord Krungharr

Postby Lord Krungharr » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:21 pm

I used the Winged CSM Daemon Prince with Black Mace today vs Necrons. Wiped out a unit of 9 in one round of combat, then hopped to another Warriors unit with Nemesor/Oberon, killed Oberon and 6, they all came back up and killed me. Worth a try!
Lord Krungharr

Return to Tactics (40K)