Bolt Action and Adepticon tourney?

All things Bolt Action!

Bolt Action and Adepticon tourney?

Postby tjski » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 pm

Good evening folks from Phoenix AZ,

Got a couple of questions for the group and I am trying to see if there is any interest in this.

Question #1
Is anyone playing the new Warlord WW2 game, Bolt Action???

Question #2
What are your thoughts on having a small Bolt Action Tourney at Adepticon 2013?

Question #3
Anyone planning on running a tourney at Adepticon 2013?

Question #4
Would you play in said tourney if I traveled from Phoenix to run it? (Yes I am planning on making it out to 2013!!!)

Question#5
Who would be willing to help out with terrain for said event?

Tim K
tjski

Re: Bolt Action and Adepticon tourney?

Postby Nostromo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 pm

#1. Have not played, but watched a demo last year.

#2. From what I saw, the game didn't look to be tournament friendly...but that is an organizers call, as about any game can be put into a tournament format. That said, I don't know the game or lists, but would be willing to learn in time....especially if it supports early war forces.

#3. My plan was to run the Saga Tourney Saturday night, and support my WW2 mini line and rules with demos on Friday and maybe Thursday. But I think you are asking about runnning a BA Tourney, and I have not heard that at all here.

#4. I would play if timing worked and the scale worked...and my early war stuff was compatible.

#5. Cant be much help with terrain, but could be a possible sponsor.
Nostromo

Postby RichN » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Tim,
send me an email and we can talk.

I have not heard of anyone expressing an interest in Bolt Action, but that does not mean there are not folks looking to play it. Friday might be a good day to schedule any event - it fits in between the Championship qualifier on Thursday and the 40K team on Saturday/Sunday. This would put it up against the WAB/HC big games, but I think the Bolt Action marketing is aimed more at 40K players than at Ancients players.

We may also want to check in with Hank to see if Warlord is planning any events/demos to support the game.

Rich
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby slartibartfast » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:11 pm

I am interested. I have the book and looks like it is tournement freindly. What requirements are you looking at? Core book only? The US and German books should be out in time for Adepticon. Would you require both sides per player to prevent Blue on Blue? I think if the total points are low enough that is certianly feasable. I can try and help but I am working on the Malifaux tourny stuff. I would be willing to help as much as I can.
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

In heaven everyone will have a Batmoble. - Kevin Smith
slartibartfast

Postby tjski » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:32 pm

RichN wrote:Hi Tim,
send me an email and we can talk.

I have not heard of anyone expressing an interest in Bolt Action, but that does not mean there are not folks looking to play it. Friday might be a good day to schedule any event - it fits in between the Championship qualifier on Thursday and the 40K team on Saturday/Sunday. This would put it up against the WAB/HC big games, but I think the Bolt Action marketing is aimed more at 40K players than at Ancients players.

We may also want to check in with Hank to see if Warlord is planning any events/demos to support the game.

Rich

Rich,

just sent you an e-mail...

Tim K
tjski

Postby tjski » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:40 pm

slartibartfast wrote:I am interested. I have the book and looks like it is tournement freindly. What requirements are you looking at? Core book only? The US and German books should be out in time for Adepticon. Would you require both sides per player to prevent Blue on Blue? I think if the total points are low enough that is certianly feasable. I can try and help but I am working on the Malifaux tourny stuff. I would be willing to help as much as I can.

Well, here is what I am thinking:

4 games

500 points

Players bring 500 points of Allies & 500 points Axis. Each player will alternate between Axis and Allies for each turn, so basicly you play two games with each force you brought.

We use army lists out of the main rulebook for this first event since this could be the first BA tourney here in the states. Also since this is the first event, I want to keep it small on points and would like to see this event grow in points as more people play in it.

Now the big thing would be getting the terrain, I know Adepticon is tight on terrain, so I would need someone in Chi town to be the one to head up the terrain building there (doing it here in AZ and shipping will be a ton of money!).

Also since this could be a new event, I want to know what other folks would want to do for the event. Good thing is that at 500 points, you have about 25-40 figs, so it should be pretty easy for folks to bring two forces.

Tim K
tjski

Postby slartibartfast » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:19 pm

That is exactly what I would want to part of. I could do that quite easily. Going out of the main book would be the best. A fairly even playing field. I can't volounteer to take the lead on terrain building, as I have a prior commitment to making Malifaux terrain, but I can be available to help as much as I can. I have access to a work area, and enthusiasm to help. :D
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

slartibartfast

Postby DeusVult » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:03 pm

There are a couple of us up in Wisconsin that have picked up the rules and are just starting to play.....we were just talking about how it would be nice if Adepticon had an event this year....so count at least two of us in !
DeusVult

Postby tjski » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 am

Well,

The best laid plans....I just found out yesterday that I will not be able to make Adepticon this coming year :cry: :cry: It seems that with my work that there is a Kitchen and Bath convention the same dates as Adepticon, and my boss wants me to go with him to the Big Easy in New Orleans to help run the booth. So what does this mean, well it means that I can not run a Bolt Action tourney this year at Adepticon.

This is a total bummer for me since it will be the third year that I have to sit on the bench from going to Adepticon.

Tim K
tjski

Postby slartibartfast » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Well that stinks. We will have to lift a toast to you while there. I wish I had more time to take this on myself, unfortunatly I am already working on Malifaux and don't feel comfortable taking anything more on. Maybe next year for you. Maybe Warlord will do something this year. we can hope.
Anonymous

slartibartfast

Postby Nostromo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 pm

I would be interested in running something.
I could do a bigger game using one large table for multiple players if there are interested parties. Tournament might be a bit much with running the SAGA tournament and hoping to play some type of ancients throughout the weekend.

I would like to do Poland though- gotta promote some of my own stuff....

http://blitzkrieglaboratory.blogspot.com/
Nostromo

Postby Nostromo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:19 pm

I will be doing a larger Bolt Action game on Friday Afternoon.

It will be Early War Germans vs. Polish

Looking for 4 players per side, but could take 5.

1000 pt Reinforced Platoon per player.

Capt/Major on each side can allocate Company Level support.

Pm me if interested
Nostromo

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Mon May 13, 2013 1:02 am

Thought I would bump this a bit??? I know Adepticon has come and passed. What are the odds of someone or a couple people to spearhead an event, tournament, big game for Adepticon 2014? I know the game is growing leaps and bounds is SE Wisconsin. I also know acoupole of other LOTR players are starting to play as well. I am thinking maybe a friday or saturday night event would be nice. Just throwing it out there.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Lordgoober » Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 am

I could potentially see myself playing on Saturday Night after the Flames of War Nationals wrap up. I'm going to be starting Desert Brits myself once I get my hands on some of the Perry Desert Rats that just came out hopefully this coming weekend and then supplementing with a Crusader 2 pounder kit (since Warlord doesn't do a 2 pounder yet) and a tank of some sort. I have a 1k list idea set at this point with a 665 point core section then I add stuff from various selectors to get 3 different 1k lists.
Lordgoober

Postby RichN » Mon May 13, 2013 7:57 pm

We just need someone to step up and volunteer to run an event. There would be plenty of table space for a Saturday evening, or maybe something earlier on Thursday/Friday.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Next

Return to Bolt Action General Discussion