Angmar Army Part Deux

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Angmar Army Part Deux

Postby BaronDeSade » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:24 am

So, the Shady character won't be here for a while, and while I said that I would finish my Rohan before working on this, the lure of the darkness proved to be too strong for me to exist, once again. And so, here is the revamped Angmar army:

1st Warband
The Dwimmerlaik on horse
12 Crappy Orcs

The Dwimmerlaik is cheaper than the Witch King and has a useful effect with a wide radius. He has no Might, but he is a good spellcaster and nerfs opposing heroes better than even a normal Wraith. With a large Will reserve, he can fight for a long time as well.

2nd Warband
Orc Captain with Shield on Warg
1 Orc Specter
11 Crappy Orcs

Here's the Wraith's right-hand "man" with a litte Might and hitting power and helps me use up the extra Sharku model I have. The Orc Specter is useful, and the presence of the Dwimmerlaik amplifies his terror and spell effect. Spectral blades aren't bad either.

3rd Warband

Wight
1 Orc Specter
11 Crappy Orcs

4th Warband

Wight
1 Orc Specter
11 Crappy Orcs

As I saw in my last battle, my hiring process of "Wights only" for officers left me without Might when I needed it, and the "Wight Power" was not enough to bring down enemy heroes as often as I would have liked. Still, they are powerful spellcasters so I have left two of them in. Like the Orc Specters, the spellcasting and terror of the Wights is amplified by the Dwimmerlaik

600 points exactly, 52 models, 12 Orc bows somewhere in there.

Angmar themed? Very much! Lots of numbers. Lots of magic. Weak on Might. Combat power fairly weak. Nerfs enemy heroes, big time, though. Specters might be able to cause much mischeif. Powerful spellcasting Wraith. Broken enemy should run quickly once heores are incapacitated and Wraith scaring everyone.

Thoughts?

BdS

EDIT: Sorry, there will be 16 Orc bows in there, and Warbands 2, 3, and 4 will be broken down into

5 Orcs with hand weapons and shields
4 Orcs with bows
2 Orcs with two-handed weapons

Warband 1 will have an extra Orc with hand weapon and shield to replace the Specter

This will be a skirmish-line army. 2nd rank will be the officers and Specters. Although the Wights are poor in combat, the Wraith and the Orc Captain are certainly not, and hopefully between magic and mounted heroes, I will be able to contain any breakthroughs.
Last edited by BaronDeSade on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaronDeSade

Re: Angmar Army Part Deux

Postby Smeagol » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:51 am

So you have less Might than the Witch King model force? While it is true the Dwimmerlaik will potentially nerf Might and Will expenditures, he is still limited to a six inch radius as I recall.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:27 pm

For once, you recall wrongly :wink: . His Sap Fortitude goes out 12", and as he is on a horse, it's quite a big radius (pretty much pi x 7" x 7" or so.)

Yes, it has less Might than the other one :cry: . On the other hand, the Witch King was always out of position in the last one, so mostly he didn't help anyhow. I thought about the Tainted, who completely nerfs heroic moves, but his area of effect is only 6", and he messes up my own side as well.

So, I have two Might on my warg captain, and two Wights, three Specters and the Dwimmerlaik to nerf enemy heroes, so I would hope that this would balance things in my favor. I especially like the ability of the Dwimmerlaik to make any of the Wight's or his spells basically irresistable on a 4+, as most heroes don't carry more than one Will point, except for those filthy Dunlendings, of course!

We'll see how it plays.
BaronDeSade

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:11 am

OK, so after a couple of games, I can say that this army is terrible. The Wight's magic is erratic, at best. The Dwimmerlaik isn't much of a hero, and while he is a good spellcaster his spells are rarely able to be game-changing. Without good support, the Orcs get massacred.

On the upside, Specters are great! For one, their spells never fail (they just sometimes don't work.) For another, the Spectral Blades rule is very useful. So, I will definitely be keeping those in my army.

I'm going to try and have a dedicated archer warband in my army and see how that works. I'll drop the Wights as officers and replace them with Orc captains, which are cheaper and better. I'll make up some more concise strategies as well.

Never give up; never surrender!

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:46 am

Double post
Last edited by Smeagol on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 am

Dispersing your ranged strength across the entire force has its advantages, but massing your missile fire makes them more effective on their own. Orcs are crappy combatants at best. They only work if you have numbers and some heroes to give them some oomph! I'm still surprised by how well my crappy orcs fight and how poorly my Dunlendings fight. There isn't much difference between the two other than leadership.

I have always been fond of Spectres as you know. The Warband upgrade greatly improved their combat worthiness. Wights work best as tag teams. I try to mass them together and then zap my intended targets with more than one. Still they are a gamble and relatively easy to destroy. Would recommend staying away from the expensive named wraiths in the Angmar force. A budget Witch King is usually more than enough.

You can now mount your orcs archers in the Angmar force and use orc trackers instead of generic orc archers. You know how much I love orcs trackers on wargs.
Last edited by Smeagol on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Yes, I was thinking I would have two combat Orc squads on the flanks, with mixed melee weapons and Orc captains on foot, and two missile warbands with Orcs with bows and some with spears in the center. The missile warbands either combine for volley fire or advance slowly while firing, while the combat squads move at full speed to envelop the enemy.

I think I will proxy in a Shade for the next battle, as I very much want to see how much of a difference the Shade makes for Orc combat.

I'll think about Warg Bowmen once I have the leadership issues of this army sorted out. I need to know how many points I will be spending on heroes.

Best,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Return to Army Lists (LotR)