WAB Singles Tournament at AC XI 2013 is ON!

In the grim darkness of the past?

WAB Singles Tournament at AC XI 2013 is ON!

Postby Thogrid » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Last Updated: 9 Nov 2012

Hello All!

I was finally able to get my vacation time approved for next year's AdeptiCon! Yea!!

After conferring with Rich, I will host some other games (more to follow in other threads) plus I will play judge/TD for the WAB Singles Tournament on Saturday. So here's the scoop:

WAB Singles Tournament: Saturday 0900-1900

Three rounds, each 2.5 hours long, using 2800 point forces from AoA v2 only***

Rules/Errata: WAB 2nd Edition, AoA v2 and the FAQ at the WABGT Download site (http://www.wabgt.co.uk/downloads.php) will be used.

Scenarios yet to be determined, possibly some combination of scenarios we've played in past events, though perhaps some new ones.

Awards will include:

• Best General (win-loss records, with head to head, then Battle Points as tie breakers)
• Best Painted Army (as selected by the players)
• Favorite Opponent (as selected by the players)
• The Death March award (the player that traveled the farthest to the convention).

Army lists must be submitted NLT 1 April to me via email (thogrid AT kc DOT rr DOT com) or AdepticonWAB@gmail.com. Please tell me what specific list and the page number in AoA v2 you built your list from.

First round matches will be historical match ups (or as close as I can get them), then we'll make subsequent round match ups using the Swiss system.

You, or someone you know, want to play but have no army? I will have two or three 2800 point armies to loan should that be the case.

I firmly believe we as a gaming community get to decide when a rules set is "dead"! As long as we play the game, it will live. "But what about bringing in new players?" you may ask. "How do we get a rule book to them?" Fear not, ye of little faith. If you know of someone interested in playing WAB but they need a copy of the v2 rule book or AoA v2...or perhaps you are in need of such things...contact me via email (thogrid AT kc DOT rr DOT com). I may have a few spare copies that I can "loan" out. Where there is the will, there is a way to make this happen.

***I realize some of you may disagree with me on this, but I believe the work Martin Gibbons, et al, have done with the army lists to balance them out across the board is pretty solid and allows "out of period" contests to be better match ups in tournament play. As of today we have 23 weeks until AdeptiCon XI to get our lists squared away, figures painted and armies play tested.

So...get crackin'!!!

Merle
Last edited by Thogrid on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Re: WAB Singles Tournament at AC XI 2013 is ON!

Postby mikebutcher » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:56 am

Crackin'!

Thanks for stepping up Merle
mikebutcher

Postby Matt-J2 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm in!
Matt-J2

Postby alexakers » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 am

Thanks for stepping up to run the WAB singles. I am a little miffed though as how is Best painted going to be selected by the players? Wouldn't that just be players choice honestly. I think as WAB has grown leaps and bounds over the past few years tourney wise, that honestly a little more structure needs to be in place to run a better tourney. WAB events around the world have a points break down posted much like other tourneys and with the numbers that last year showed I think this should be in place as well to give a little more structure to the tourney as it is a tourney and not just a bunch of us getting together to sling some dice in the garage.
alexakers

Postby Thogrid » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:51 pm

alexakers wrote:Thanks for stepping up to run the WAB singles. I am a little miffed though as how is Best painted going to be selected by the players? Wouldn't that just be players choice honestly. I think as WAB has grown leaps and bounds over the past few years tourney wise, that honestly a little more structure needs to be in place to run a better tourney. WAB events around the world have a points break down posted much like other tourneys and with the numbers that last year showed I think this should be in place as well to give a little more structure to the tourney as it is a tourney and not just a bunch of us getting together to sling some dice in the garage.

I'm glad to do it this year. I figure it is time to give back some. :)

I'm all ears, Alex. Can you give me some specifics about how the tournament would be run with a little more structure, thus making it a better tourney, if you were running it?

We're not awarding an Overall title, so there won't be a points breakdown as far as percentages that apply to such an award. Or have I misunderstood your point? I can certainly post something at the end of the event detailing everyone's Battle Points, Win-Loss record, number of votes for Best Painted/Player's Choice and Favorite Opponent if that's what you mean.

And yes, you're exactly right. Best Painted in effect will be Player's Choice. IMHO, what better honor than to be selected by your peers?

I have been part of paint judging teams at a number of GW GTs in years past...at least 7 that I can think of off the top of my head...along with several local and regional GW and Flames of War tournaments. Many times we judged over 175 armies. At every one of those events, except two, the army we finally judged as best painted also turned out to be the top vote of the Player's Choice award. In the case of the two exceptions, the top two armies were reversed in the opposite category. In the events where the organizers/sponsors wanted to "spread the wealth" (GW and Battlefront), we ended up awarding Best Painted to the top judged army and Player's Choice to the runner up in that category.

I will say that I'm convinced the laid back nature/less structure of the WAB tournaments in the past is part of the reason we've seen growth over the past couple of years. I have personally heard WAB players make comments to the effect that the reasons they made the switch to WAB from Fantasy or 40K is the less stress/less competitive/more emphasis on having fun approach the WAB tournaments tend to take.

Having said all that, that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvements. There always is. So again, I'm all ears.
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby PPCLI » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:31 pm

I think that you count me in on this. been awhile since I have played WAB but I have time to get brushed up. Thanks for running these events.

Mike H
PPCLI

Postby Thogrid » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:11 am

Hey Mike! We look forward to having you play again. Awesome!
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby Thogrid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:42 pm

I updated the main post to reflect information in the web cart (times and where to email your army list).

Added: Rules/Errata: WAB 2nd Edition, AoA v2 and the FAQ at the WABGT Download site (http://www.wabgt.co.uk/downloads.php) will be used.

I also corrected scoring for the Best General award and updated how much time we have left as of today before AC 2013 arrives!!

Lastly, I'm working on a couple of scenarios for the event. Stay tuned for news...

Thanks!
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles