Using that Shady Character

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Using that Shady Character

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello All,

I've got a Shade coming in the mail for my Angmar army, and I'd like to put out my own musings on how to best use this model and ask others what success they have had with this model.

The first thing that strikes me about the Shade is his anti-banner effect. I have a lot of Orcs with two-handed weapons left over from all of my other armies, because I generally think that low-armor and poor-attack is a bad combination for a model. Near the Shade, though, these Orcs become quite good, fighting as well as any other model but hitting much harder. A 2H weapon is much better than S4 (once you have hit,) I think, because S4 doesn't always give you a bonus compared to S3, but 2H weapons always give you a bonus (and an especially nice bonus against very tough models like dragons!) So I think he would be best nearest the center of the army, leading Orcs with 2H weapons.

The second thing I noticed is his abysmal courage. This is a hero? So, he'll be useless for "Stand Fast" and will probably float away once my army is broken. Tim's advice is "don't get broken." Haha, Tim. It seems to me, though, that the best thing would be to make sure that the Shade gets killed before my army breaks, and although he has ludicrously bad combat stats, his defensive value and number of wounds is insane, so it seems to me that he would do fine on the front lines as a tough blob that engages two or three enemy models and ties them up so that they aren't killing my Orcs. Seems to me he might make a good ether-shield for Orcs advancing into missile fire as well.

Anyone else used one of these? Any tricks I am missing?

BdS
BaronDeSade

Re: Using that Shady Character

Postby Smeagol » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Sadly Shades work better for forces other than Angmar. Moria with a Shade and Groblo has the -1 modifier and the 5+ Fury plus numbers. HArad has 2 attack, FV5, spear supported combat machines that greatly benefit from Shades.

Orcs not so much. Spectres really need a Shade nearby to be really effective.

I've only seen them used in support roles to keep the force from getting broken. Once you're broken your Shade is good for maybe one more turn before it evaporates. I've never actually seen on engaged in combat as I've always broken my opponent first and then let the thing run away.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Yeah, well for the sake of the Angmar -theme- I would like to use a Shade, as it will give me the opportunity to deploy all of those crappy 2H Orcs that I would otherwise never use.

Nobody uses him in combat? I don't understand why not. With such a high defense and three wounds, and such low courage, it seems that close combat is the best place for him. He could tie up Shagrat or someone powerful for several turns as they tried to fight free of the ghostly mess.

How fun it will be to use Orcs and be able to yell, "Six, I win!"

Best,

Bds
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Then consider adding in a wraith to assist in keeping enemies off the shade.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Oh, I'm definitely thinking about that, even though I don't care about keeping enemies off of the Shade, since I consider him tough enough to take care of himself. While vanilla wraiths are not native to the Angmar list (I know, who cares, right?) two of the named ones are: the Tainted and the Dwimmerlaik. They have similar roles, of messing up the opponent's ability to use Might, which makes it an even playing field with my Angmar army not having much/any Might. I'm really liking the idea of the Dwimmerlaik because he can also make opposing models much more vulnerable to magic, and he has a 2H weapon which is already useful in my army. I will probably throw a few specters into this army as well. Anyhow, there's a lot to think about, but I really need to keep focused on my Rohan army, as I will never get them finished if I get drawn back into another evil army!
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Yeah I know that feeling.
Smeagol

Postby orcishthug » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:30 pm

I nearly took down Sauron with the services of a shade and multiple cave trolls. It was actually in the Halloween themed RTT. Ran Sauron out of Might, Trapped him with the trolls and used the shade effect to win combat. Sauron was ahead of the rest of his army but they saved him when he was down to one wound.
Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield
orcishthug

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:59 pm

:lol:
BaronDeSade

Return to Army Lists (LotR)