For Rohan!

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

For Rohan!

Postby BaronDeSade » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Yeah, I need to finish painting these guys, and it helps me to be motivated by playing them. It seems like Rohan gets some bad press, but I don't see anything wrong with the army, and it has some good stuff in it.

1st Warband Grimbold's Helmingas

Grimbold
7 Helmingas with Shields, 4 with Throwing Spears and one with Banner

I had some Rohirrim on foot I hadn't put any paint to, so I I am working on them with gray cloaks and a black banner, as "Grimbold of Grimslade" seems like a grim kind of theme. S4 infantry is good, and Grimbold is a reasonable enough hero. Banner is included because of the scenarios that give a bonus for having one, but it's good to have, anyhow.

2nd Warband Woses Friends

Ghan Buri Ghan
12 Woses

Woses are cheap and good and make a good line of spear-support for the S4 Hemlingas. Ghan Buri Ghan is great for a 3 Might hero.

3rd Warband Eowyn's Hunters

Eowyn in armor with shield on horse

2 Outriders on horses
2 Riders with bows
2 Royal Guard with throwing spears

A fast force that can attack the enemy in the flank or side once the Helmingas are engaged, or hold back and throw out some missile fire. Eowyn is cheap and good and Royal Guard are great fighters.

4th Warband Erkenbrand the Bold

Erkenbrand on horse
3 Riders with bows
3 Riders with throwing spears

Erkenbrand is expensive but very good with his high Might and his superior warhorn.

40 Models, a decent amount. Not so many bows but lots of blowguns. 10 Might. A good mix of infantry, cavalry, melee and missile troops, I think.

Best,

Bds
BaronDeSade

Re: For Rohan!

Postby BrentS » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Pulling these models together definitely plays to the various strengths of the "new" Rohan (new in terms of Grimbold). I'd consider upgrading some amoun of the riders to Westfold Redshields too. The FV4 on the charge can be very helpful, its worth extra point in my view.
BrentS

Postby BaronDeSade » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:18 am

I'd think about it, for sure, but I am always skeptical of spending points for more WS, as that's such an opponent-dependent value.

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:29 pm

I've never regretted using Redshields. They pretty much become my standard Rider of rohan at smaller point values unless I want to use the Outriders instead. FV4 and Defense 5 and a bow makes them better (though slightly more expensive) than Khandish Horsemen. This makes the Riders of Rohan some of the best light cavalry in the game.

Grimbold's upgrade helps even out the Morannon Orc combat lines, but only just. A lack of spear support is problematic and at 600 points you run out of points for all the options fast.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Yeah, OK, I could convert a couple of the bowmen to Redshields as I have a few points left over. I've already solved the problem of spear support with my loyal Wose allies!

BdS
BaronDeSade

Return to Army Lists (LotR)