The Old Man and the Icarus

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

The Old Man and the Icarus

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Pretty quiet for a new edition of 40k. Is everyone keeping their secrets in the basement or did the new rules chase people out of the game?

I'm sitting here eating liverwurst on rye bread and listening to Judas Priest with the volume set to 11. At least I'm wearing pants today, well at least at this moment I have pants on. I've been spending a lot of time reading the 6th edition rule book in anticipation of the Rules Quiz at the next AWC. Assault phase sub phases are the hardest subject I've studied since Organic Chemistry at the community college. I've resorted to writing some of the new rules on the inside of a water bottle label and gluing it back to the bottle. That way as I drink a colored beverage during the quiz, the answers will be revealed by looking inside the bottle. Another trick I have is to write the new random charge lengths on the side of my shoe heel. No one will notice the writing on the side of a shoe heel, but when I sit down and cross my legs ... presto! The answers will appear like mana from Heaven. I've got a million more of these tricks. That quiz trophy will be mine Trebek :!:

Now for tactics. I have an idea I want to try out on the tabletop. I like taking the Bastion with an Icarus Lascannon on top. It gives me a skyfire interceptor shot when the Doomscythes come on board and the Icarus just acts as an extra long range lascannon each turn when there are no flyers. I like the extra range over the quad gun and the ap2 shot gives me a better chance to destroy a Stormraven. A 5-man combat squad is a good choice to man the Icarus, but now I have a better idea.

What if I man the Icarus with a 5-man scout squad lead by Sgt. Telion. Telion can man the Icarus and the 4 other scouts can have sniper rifles. Telion gives them all stealth for a 3+ cover save up top. Telion also fires the Icarus Lascannon with a BS of 6. If that wasn't good enough the Old Man also allows me to pick the target who gets wounded by the Lascannon shot. Telion turns the Icarus into a sniping Lascannon :shock:

Mr. Wolf Standard Bearer meet the lascannon. Psycannon, blam! Cryptek I don't like, die! I can just imagine one of the scouts screeching in the ear of Telion in a high pitched voice "Hit the Nob! Hit the Nob! Hit the Nob!". The Nob will have a 4+ Look Out Sir roll to avoid it and so will the Cryptek, but that's not as good as a 2+.

Somebody has to man the Icarus and Telion's squad is 125pts. A combat tactical squad is 90 so the extra 35pts gives me a 4 sniper rifles and a sniping lascannon at BS 6 and a better cover save. Hmmmmm... I wonder if my local GW store has a Telion.....
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: The Old Man and the Icarus

Postby Redbeard » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:14 pm

I took part in a game with a quad gun last weekend. Interceptor was pretty cool.

I think the benefit that the quad gun provides is reliability in taking out the fliers. It may not be as good against ground targets, especially MEQs/TEQs, but with TL to hit on four shots, you can get a couple of shots past the jink saves, and it should reliably take down transports too.

Are there any good choices for models who can ignore cover to man it? I know crack shot would let a Dark Reaper do it, but he seems fairly expensive to give up his own gun.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Chubs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:52 pm

I hear exarchs with crack shot do wonders too. Evade... No no, wiggling your wings back and forth won't save you. 25% cover, nahhh,I know where you left the keys. Vindicare in the tree tops...still has an invul... But not bad really.

My question is how you keep a 2w t7 alive for that long?
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:02 pm

When it is bought with an Aegis Defense Line it is a stand alone model with T7 and 2W. When it is bought as part of the Bastion it can't be targeted separately. You have to bring the a bastion down or get it with a weapon destroyed result. That's the way I've seen it ruled for this weekends GT in California. I don't have my book with me right now, but it might the difference between gun emplacement and emplaced guns, maybe.

It seems kind of a waste to buy 5 fire dragons to put up there with an exarch with crack shot or 3 Dark Reapers with an exarch. Though with fast shot you might be able to fire the Lascannon twice each time the Dark Reapers Exarch with Fast shot shoots the thing. In that respect Maugan Ra can do all sorts of nastiness shooting that gun at people with his special rules.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Redbeard » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Yeah, but now you're looking at a 300 point investment for that gun.

I know how my dice work. I'm not enthused about having one shot. I'd rather have four twin-linked ones.

Alan, on the other hand, would probably do wonders with the Icarus. :)
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:43 pm

The Quad Gun is very nice. It's like having a rifleman dread sitting on top of the Bastion. You can really get the Quad gun to shine if you take it with Necrons. Have Zahndrekh give the unit firing the Quad gun Tank Hunters and now you reroll all your armor penetration rolls. You should be able to down any flyer in one shot with that.

Redbeard I understand your hesitation with the Icarus especially if you are playing Orks. Grots, however, would love to fire the Quad Gun.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 am

I play the Quad Gun with the Aegis Defense Line, and thus far it's survived long enough to kill the flyers I need it to kill; a 3+ armor/4+ cover save is decent for a turn or two. Usually I place it far enough in the backfield that nobody can see it or they just don't consider it a priority target with the other stuff coming at them. Of course that may change soon enough when more people understand what it does.

I was hoping Chaos could take Divination powers and get Prescience but alas, we are not privy to such white high magic. We like Fire and throwing things with our brains.
Lord Krungharr

Postby seahawk » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:29 am

I love using both the defense lines and the fortress. Haven't gotten around to using my bastion or landing pad yet, not painted yet :/

WIth the defense lines, if it's 2k+, I'll have Telion man an Icarus for the very reasons described previously, and a Master of the Forge making use of a Quad Gun. Both are hitting on 2's, and lucky shots from the Tech get to pick their shots. In any case...the guns have proven their worth.

I enjoy using the Fortress with IG. A Company Command Squad holds the Icarus bunker with snipers and bodyguards, so the commander gets to use the gun. I then put 4 heavy bolters on a different section (usually the missile bunker) and hold that with a squad of veterans with an autocannon and Harker...dakkadakkadakka! That, or a devastator squad with heavy bolters...

As for gun survivability, well that's easy. Have more scarier targets than a single gun. Target saturation is still a credible threat.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Return to Tactics (40K)