Updating Baen's company - Dwarven Rangers

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Updating Baen's company - Dwarven Rangers

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:22 am

Baen - Dwarf Captain
12 Dwarf Rangers

Nuri - Dwarf Captain
12 Dwarf Rangers

Dwin - Dwarf Captain
3 Dwarf Rangers
7 Dwarf Rangers with dwarf longbow

Floi, Loremaster
3 Dwarf Rangers
7 Dwarf Rangers with dwarf longbow

Points = 600
Models = 48
Might = 7
Bows = 14

In the beginning this was a 500 point LOME force of 48 dwarf rangers (with 16 throwing weapons, 32 two handed weapons and 16 bows) and one dwarven captain with throwing axes. As a 500 point force it did very well.

When it was upgraded to 600 points I added a second captain and additional throwing weapons. The force didn't do as well, but it still gave better than it took in most cases. When I converted it to a dwarven horde at 600 with only one hero (generic captain) it began to be a dangerous force again.

At 700 points I traded out Baen for Balin and added in some Iron Guard. This force didn't fare very well at the UK GT, the only time I've played at 700 points, going 1-2-1 for the weekend. My evil force didn't do any better going 1-2-1 as well.

So now I am looking at updating the force to the Warbands format and find my force now looks a lot like it did at 500 points, but with more heroes and fewer throwing weapons (IE none at all) when it is crafted for 600 points. More heroes means I have more ability to dictate when and where I get priority, but the loss of the throwing weapons does mean I no longer have the 11" threat range with the majority of my line. The dwarven bows have always done me proud and the throwing weapons were more threat than real weapon so maybe this force will still function without them.
Last edited by Smeagol on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Smeagol

Re: Updating Baen's company - Dwarven Rangers

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:36 pm

I think you know my feelings. I like it. Dwarf rangers have become my favorite force to play. I tried some at Adepticon and I left out the archers, I included 6 Iron Guard. So it wasn't the horde you have here, I think this force could be very deadly, keep us posted after you play Steve or Gary this weekend.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Smeagol » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:14 am

The Dwarf Rangers seem work pretty well. I played Steve's Isengard force once at 300 points at once at 600 points. Even without throwing weapons they are dangerous. Numbers help immensely as it allowed me to wrap around his lines and gain local superiority. I took a lot of losses, but I wasn't broken either time.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:51 am

I'm thinking of painting what I have in my dwarf ranger inventory which will bring me to 1000 points. Now if I can only convince Steve and Gary to play a 1000 point game.

1 Balin
12 Dwarf Rangers

1 King's Champion and two Heralds
10 Dwarf Rangers

1 Dwarf Captain
12 Dwarf .Rangers

1 Dwarf Captain
12 Dwarf Rangers

1 Dwarf Captain
12 Dwarf Rangers with dwarf longbow

1 Floi
1 Dwarf Ranger
10 Dwarf Rangers with dwarf longbow

Points = 1000
Models = 77
Warbands = 6
Might = 12
Last edited by Smeagol on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:14 pm

"Six" warbands? Be honest: "Five" warbands and an "extra drop."

Can I take on the Dwarfs at 1K? No problem.

5 Easterling Warband Leaders:

Amdur on Foot
Captain Ilhan on foot with halberd
Captain Tai-Shan on armored horse with bow
Warpriest on Foot
Khandish Chieftain on horse with bow

350 points of heroes, leaving 650 points to fill up 60 troop slots, leaving about 10.8 points per trooper. Given that Easterlings are about 8 points per warrior. That's no problem at all.

I would love to crush the Dwarf Rangers on this epic of a scale.

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Typo. It's really six warbands. :-)
The force list has been corrected. What I type on this tablet is not always what comes out on the other end.
I'll have to remember to bring my terrain next week as well. I'm tired of the WHFB deserts we've been forced to play on recently. Though I suppose my Mumakil would love them. :-)

It would be nice to get out of tournament mode for a change.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Oh, well I could see how you might misplace ten Dwarfs or so. They are very small.

However, adding ten Dwarfs to my calculations left me a lot less sanguine about my original proposal. So, I succumbed to obsession and thrashed it out so here's my new one. I have all of these models and only a handful are not fully painted:

Captain Ilhan with Halberd
8 Easterling Warriors with Shields and four with Bows

Easterling War Priest

Amdur, Lord of Blades

Captain Tai-Shan on Armored Horse with Bow
8 Easterling Warriors with Pikes and four with Bows

Khandish Chieftain on Horse with Bow
4 Easterling Warriors with Shields and four with Pikes and four with Bows

Nameless Easterling Captain with Halberd
6 Easterling Warriors and one with Bow and two with Pikes and three Khandish Horsemen

Total: 1000 points
Total Models: 78
Break Point: -39 models

I might shuffle the cavalry around to go with the mounted Chieftain, but otherwise, this is the final product. It's certainly able to go toe-to-toe with the Dwarfs as far as numbers, and my armor compensates for my relative lack of fighting skill. Amdur is my living banner, and I have Fury, for whatever that is worth, plus a few cav for Reconnoitre, plus, since my pikemen carry shields, they can fight in a battle line more effectively than the Uruk pikemen could, and I can still fight in depth, which the scroggy Dwarfs cannot. I have more bows than you :P .

Bring it on, stunty! :D

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Your Easterlings are still your best force. I can't fight in depth like you can so I won't even try. The force I've been fiddling with lately all rely on skirmish tactics to compete. Head to head combats have their place, but for a skirmish force it's mostly to fix an opponent's lines in place in order to maneuver around it and trap models. I won't have numbers on you so I'll have to rely on my superior heroes to make holes which is another combat tactic that is new for me since I've rarely played hero centric tactics.

You have superior armour, faster elements and archers integrated into all of your warbands. I'm surprised you don't have more mounted troops, but then that's my preference and not yours.

How about we play through all of the scenarios once? It'll take a few weeks, but it's not like we have anything else scheduled.
Last edited by Smeagol on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Once a certain number of troops is reached, skirmishing becomes much less viable because there is literally nowhere to go. This is especially true if you are going to put a lot more terrain on the board.

Don't know that ALL your heroes are superior. I think Amdur would be more than a match for any Dwarf captain. Have to make sure that the pike support is available, though.

Can't really afford any more horses with the points I have.

Sure, six epic battles sounds great!
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Okay battle lines are drawn. The first scenario between the forces of Erebor and the villains of Rhun will be Reconoitre. The Southrons have a slight advantage in numbers and definitely have speed on their side. This scenarios is less of a foot race now than it has been in times past. Given the sizes of our relative forces both of us are shooting for reducing our model count (or our opponent's) down to 25% once we have a winning position. So both of us are shooting for something like getting down to 19ish models.

Obviously Steve's best chance is to get models off the table and rack up such a lead that I cannot hope to achieve even a draw. My best hope is to contain his force and then to inflict the secondary victory points off his force (leader dead and his force broken). I'm sure I can get dwarves off the oppposite table edge. Dwarven Rangers are better attackers than they are defenders. They just don't have the Defense advantage for static battles. With any luck my archers will arrive in time to make an impact early in the game. Dismounting his cavalry will go a long way towards slowing down Steve's cjhances at a win.

I'm betting Steve will pull out a win in this scenario. I've never beaten his Easterlings in this scenario and I doubt that the changes to the victory points will make a significant difference to changing that record.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:22 pm

I doubt that any horse will survive more than two rounds on this battlefield, but such are the fortunes of war. It is my intention to move at maximum speed towards the Dwarven lines, relying on my heavy armor to reduce casualties for whatever missiles they throw at me. My own missile troops will stay back in the second rank, to shoot down any stunties that might break through. In the melee, I will at least hold the Dwarfs in place with my armor, and perhaps use my pikes to gain local advantage of wounding dice, although when fighting against higher Fight troops, pikes are often wasted. My heroes are unspectacular, except for Amdur, so I must rely on attirition to open up holes in the Dwarf's lines.

May fortune favor the tall...

BDS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Reconnoitre result was 7 to 1. I got four rangers off the table and broke Steve's Easterlings versus his Khandish King getting off the table.

An epic tale should be told, but typing long posts on this tablet is problematic in these forums.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)