Battle Summary: Orcs vs. High Elves

You just finished the best game of your life and you have to let the world know just how cool it was! Post your report here with all the glorious details.

Battle Summary: Orcs vs. High Elves

Postby BaronDeSade » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:18 am

Although the forces of the Grey Company had been dealt a crushing blow, Field Marshal Tim's fighting spirit remained un-crushed, as he had yet another army. The scenario was Hold Ground (again) and he had two units of High Elf Swordsmen and one of Archers. The Elves were better fighters than the Rangers had been, with stronger armor, better heroes, and came in greater numbers. Could they pick up the fallen standard of the Grey Company and restore the world's faith in Tim-ish leadership? Only the fates knew that answer...

The game opened exactly as the other one did, with two of Tim's units coming in from the South and the other from the West, while two of mine came from the East and one from the North. I don't like Hold Ground as well as some of the other scenarios, as my army demands that all the heroes work together in evil harmony for the best results, and indeed, because of the lack of coverage from the Shadowlord, four Orcs were shot down before I could even enter combat.

Once I was in combat, things began to go badly for me as the Shadowlord got in a magical duel with Gildor Inglorion and was also constantly pestered by Elf swordsmen, whose great courage allowed them to charge the Nazgul en masse. I was also having a great deal of trouble keeping the Elves from wrapping my flank, since none of Tim's troops had spears, which meant that they were ALL trying to wrap my flank. The D5 of the Elves was also quite significant in helping them resist the S4 pain that I had dished out to the Rangers in great, bloody helpings.

Overall, there isn't much to say other than the Elves fell upon my Orcs and slaughtered them in droves. The Orcs broke, and although I sacrificed Khardush, Erestor and an Elf captain broke through and slew the Shadowlord, and then it was game over, man, game over!

If I were to replay this match, I would work harder on making sure that my Orcs did not get shot and that I hit the enemy as one lump. What can I say, smashing the Grey Company had filled me with hubris. It happens...

BdS
BaronDeSade

Re: Battle Summary: Orcs vs. High Elves

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 pm

[quote="BaronDeSade"]What can I say, smashing the Grey Company had filled me with hubris. It happens.../quote]

More than than just once? :-)
The elves have the courage and FV to threaten most of the nazgûl. My shooting started across the table from you instead of on the table edge so I was able to get three turns of shooting at you. It also meant that my fighting arm was already on your right flank to start instead of having to maneuver there.

It was not as challenging a game as the Numenoreans, but it did give me a chance to bring out the High Elves. Thanks for the second game.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:32 pm

My meaning was closer to, "Don't worry, Hubris happens to everyone sometimes.'

Glad you enjoyed the second game more than the first. I worked hard on making the first batrep funneh to take the sting out of everything, and no one commented on my funneh :cry: .

Guess you have a new favorite Good army?

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm still fond of the Dwarf Rangers which can still do everything the elves can with the exception of movement.
Smeagol

Postby JLeong » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Sounds like you guys have a good back and forth going haha.
What High Elf list were you using?
JLeong

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:10 am

Erestor, Gildor Inglorien and a generic captain with elf bow leading thirty six high elves. Twenty four with just heavy armour and hand weapons alongside twelve with heavy armour and elf bow. Basically the plastic high elves that came with the plastic Numenoreans.

The dwarf rangers are larger and fight pretty much the same as the elves, though they are less capable at dealing with flying wraiths in combat.

Four generic captains leading forty five dwarf rangers, fifteen of which have dwarf bows.
Smeagol

Return to Battle Reports (LotR)