The Army of the High King

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

The Army of the High King

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:08 pm

I've almost completely finished a Numenorean force. Originally it was intended for the Grand Waaagh, but since that's now extinct I'm thinking of hitting an RTT at the Alamo GW store this weekend. I've never used these guys before, but they don't look much different than my other infantry forces other than a better FV. Compared to the majority of my evil forces these guys aren't all that bad considering. Though they lack any really good armour or any strength four attacks other than the captains.

Warband 1
Captain of Númenor with Shield
10 Warrior of Númenor with Spear and Shield
1 Warrior of Númenor with Shield
----
Warband 2
Captain of Númenor with Shield
10 Warrior of Númenor with Spear and Shield
----
Warband 3
Captain of Númenor with Bow
5 Warrior of Númenor with Shield
7 Warrior of Númenor with Bow
----
Warband 4
Captain of Númenor with Bow
4 Warrior of Númenor with Shield
8 Warrior of Númenor with Bow
----

Points = 600
Models = 49
Might = 8
Smeagol

Re: The Army of the High King

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:04 pm

I got to take this force out for its first battles. Three games at the GW Alamo store. The first round game was against a new player getting back into the game and he was using what he had from the original sets. So not much of a challenge, but I did get a chance to give him some tactical advice afterwards to help him use his force more efficiently. As I understand it he did much better in rounds two and three. One massive Lords of Battle massacre (39 to 5 as I recall).

Round two was against Richard (winner of the last Las Vegas Throne of Skulls) and his goblin monstrosity. I had him out deployed and in a very bad place until he managed to get the quake or tremor or whatever that obnoxious Gundabad Shaman spell is. That basically destroyed an entire warband in two consequetive turns, destroyed my right flank's ability to be defendable and lost me the game. I'm going to have to start fielding cheap wizards/wraiths just to nuke those things from now on. So a major loss in Domination which was something like 0 points for me and all but three points for Richard.

Round three was in the ruins of Osgoliath against Gondor. A much tougher fight than round one, but not as bad as round two. Nick and I have faced off before, but this time I didn't deploy in a straight line. I stacked my right flank so all of my force was fighting 2/3rds of his initially. As I think about it this is pretty much what I did all weekend. I deployed to my right flank and hit my opponents with superior numbers. The one exception being Richard, but he had me outnumbered by one additional warband so he could counter deploy fairly effectively. I made an overly aggressive move too early in the battle and extended my left flank into dangerous territory, but due to another happier mistake. The models I hadn't been able to move a turn earlier due to their inability to complete a Heroic Move with their captain meant they were still in position to reinforce and ultimately defend my left flank. End result of the To the Death scenario was another winning massacre for me. Full points and all I gave up was two points since I didn't have a banner.

It was a fun weekend of gaming, though I can't say it gave me too good of an impression of how well the force really is. I'm expecting it to be less effective than the Isengard scout force I've finally gotten painted. Richard was the only player+force that gave me a seriously hard challenge. Dominiation is also the one scenario I haven't managed to win yet. So bad matchup and scenario for me against a good player means I should have lost that game. I really need to learn how to play Domination more effectively.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:24 pm

What was your time limits for the games? Did anyone have a problem finishing?

What was the table sizes for the games?

Obviously, all of these questions are pointed so that I can better understand the Tournament Organization logistics.

Thanks for sharing, its good to hear about people playing LOTR... been very quiet for me and (seemingly) others here in the Chicagoland area.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Ninety minute rounds.

Six foot by four foot tables.

We had games that went the limit of the clock, but I only heard of one game where the results might have been different with five more minutes. Most games were well onto there way to a one side or another conclusion when the clock chimed.

I don't mind 90 minute rounds with the new deployment rules. I was in combat on turn one in my first and third games. I still issued and received meaningful archery fire as well, but didn't have to endure any archery duels without my consent. Two hour games would be more comfortable, but I don't think it's necessary unless you have habitually slow players.

Steve borrowed my Easterling force since his wasn't completely painted. He also managed two wins and one loss for the weekend.
Smeagol

Postby JLeong » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:05 am

I'm glad to hear Numenor's armies find success under the war bands rules. It seems that their numbers at 600 help a bit. That D5 isn't hampering the too much?
I've thought of mixing Numenorean spears with High Elves.

This sounds like a fun army! Keep us posted on its performance.
JLeong

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:01 am

600 points is the only real limitation under the warband rules. It means I can have numbers or a big hero. The first option gives the force staying power and makes it viable. The second is just cool and gives the force a bit of punch. I find 600 points more constraining under the warband rules more than I did under LOME. My forces are still playable and the net gain for me is more heroes without too much in the war of lost model count, but I am primarily a player of Evil forces and they are the least affected by the changes.

My delvings into the forces of Good aren't as positive. I have managed to win games using the warbands force organization, but I find myself relying far too much on heroes to win games. All I have to do is face off against a budget wraith or two and that force will get nerfed. Dwarves were my first try at using a Good force with the warband organization rules. The Numenoreans are my second Good army that I've played to date. The Numenoreans have generic heroes that fight as good as Kings of Men so they have a decent set of fighting heroes for a low end price. Plus I can still get reasonable numbers to offset the hordes. Their defense of 5 didn't bother me all weekend even in my game against Richard. I was nerfed by the Gundabad shaman's spell and not by the horde itself.
Last edited by Smeagol on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:03 am

Photos are click able for a better view.

Left flank.

Left of center.

Right of center.

Right flank.
Smeagol

Since I took these photos I've added bowstrings. So that's the only thing missing from the pictures.

Photos are click able for a better view.

Archers left flank.

Left of center.

Center of the line.

Right of center.

Right flank.
Last edited by Smeagol on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smeagol

Isildur and his captains.

Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:24 pm

I fought against Steve's orcs with the Numenoreans. The scenario played was Hold Ground. The fight was a close one. My archery was disappointing despite getting many more shots off than Steve did. I managed to kill two models over the course of ten turns. So I converted them to swordsmen which nearly rolled Steve's right flank, but he wisely sent his warg rider reinforcements. He not only blunted my flanking maneuver he darn near shatter it. Sending in his reinforcements allowed my right flank (10 models) to engage his right on equal terms. I managed to push it back until I almost had Steve surrounded and beaten.

Now if I hadn't lost three of my four captains to the Shadowlord and my general brought down to one wound, I might have crushed Steve. As it was two mistakes by Steve gave me enough of an edge to win the game and table his force. I nearly lost this one and would have if Steve hadn't ignored my last wounded captain instead off finishing him off.

Great game and I'm sure Steve will document it in story form.
Last edited by Smeagol on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Haha, why should I document my mistakes? :lol: I need to dig in my backpack and see where the report for this action is buried. I had honestly forgotten about it until now.
BaronDeSade

Return to Army Lists (LotR)