Medieval Mega Battle

In the grim darkness of the past?

Medieval Mega Battle

Postby aergren » Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a mega battle in the Early Medieval time period. I was thinking circa 1320 AD as the year, but I personally am not to attached making it a historical battle. I know that I can supply 2 armies for the time period, Medieval Scottish and my Teutonics. Any one up for it?

Thanks
Abe
aergren

Re: Medieval Mega Battle

Postby RichN » Thu May 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Maybe. Depends on what FireForge finally comes out with - their kits should be perfect for this time. Also depends on what Deus Vult looks like. The early hints make it sound like a fun game, if very period specific game.

Fire Forge has a game: Deus Vult coming out to support their Crusades figures. Interview with Beasts of War http://www.beastsofwar.com/historical-b ... ult-minis/

Allisio wrote the game, which makes me think it will be unit based. Characters will play a big part in the game, having customized traits such as dueling skills or leadership skills. Traits can be rolled at random or purchased with points.

Game mechanics will use a card for each character in the army - the example they gave is 4 per side. Each character commands a group of units. Players put the characters in a stack, roll for initiative then both players reveal the cards 1 at a time. Player will initiative will decide which of the two characters will act first. Sounds like a fun way to play with back and forth action. Scale of the game starts with 1 character with 1 battalion and works up to mega battle size.

Game is due out in November, with 3 sets of plastic infantry + supporting metal & resin character figures due for Christmas. 2013 will then see the release of an other faction from the middle ages.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Nostromo » Thu May 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Abe, you know I would be in. I have my Agincort era Burgudians or Franco-Scots as I expand with the new Claymore Castings figures.
The Hundred Year War WAB supplement is written and should be out this year as well.
Nostromo

Postby aergren » Fri May 04, 2012 11:40 am

I know that Tony would be in with me. Like I said if everyone would be okay with it I would love to keep it to just a period battle and not historical re-fight.
aergren

Postby mikebutcher » Fri May 04, 2012 1:11 pm

When...

I will have English (hopefully painted) by summer's end...
mikebutcher

Postby Nostromo » Fri May 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Abe-

Are you in Appleton-
I know I asked before- but would be willing to make the trip for practice!
Nostromo

Postby aergren » Fri May 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Actaully right now I am living La Crosse till the end of may, but after then I will be living in Milwaukee. However I am more then willing to travel to play games.
aergren

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi there,

I am actually in Racine and have been thinking about starting to play ancients, it does seem a little complex though. Is there just one rule set? Or is it each period has a rule set? Where would I start with rules books, army books, and what not?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby RichN » Tue May 08, 2012 8:15 pm

Ancients covers a lot of ground, broadly speaking: from Biblical chariot armies up to the introduction of gun powder in the 1500's. There are easily a dozen major rule sets with hundreds of self published minor rules. Figures are available from dozens of companies in a variety of styles. First thing you and your friends will want to do is decide on scale, basing, game system and historical period. Here at AWC, we'll mostly be talking about 28mm scale, based on 20mm squares played with Warhammer Ancient Battles rules for the Classical period (Romans, Greeks, Gauls) or Dark Age (Saxon, Norman, Viking) periods.

Warhammer Ancients Battles V2 (WAB) is available only from Games Workshop at http://www.warhammer-historical.com/aca ... ttles.html The Armies of Antiquity book covers several hundred army lists and is the newest product from GW. There are older books with more background and a different points scale that a lot of folks still have. If you've ever played a GW game, then you already know 80% of the rules for WAB. You'll find a number of players in IL/WI who have armies for WAB.

I rather like Hail Caesar from Warlord games. http://www.warlordgames.com/ Its by Rick Priestly (of GW fame) & is a smooth play rule set which is easily adapted for 28mm or 15mm play. Its a newer game which (I think) is gaining a lot of popularity. Having a knowledge of historical armies is assumed but not required. No single basing method is required, which means that WAB armies can also be used for HC.

I recommend that you think about what period you're interested in, then we can suggest different companies which make the appropriate figures and start to make suggestions about which rule set would work for you. Feel free to PM me any questions you might have.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Tue May 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks I will do that. I am not sure what I want to build and paint yet.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby prion2001 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:27 am

Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:Thanks I will do that. I am not sure what I want to build and paint yet.

Just to give you some food for thought. I have 1000 points of Spartans and 1000 points of Republican Romans. I plan to start an Etruscan army for Gorgon Studios at some point as well. So, instead of LotR we can play some Ancients I've played WAB mostly). I haven't played Hail Ceaser but I have played Black Powder and hear they are similar in mechanics (just different periods). Plus, Jeremy has started and played WAB as well. :)

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Lordgoober » Fri May 11, 2012 10:39 am

I've got a decent sized Imperial Roman army as well.
Lordgoober

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 pm

prion2001 wrote:
Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:Thanks I will do that. I am not sure what I want to build and paint yet.

Just to give you some food for thought. I have 1000 points of Spartans and 1000 points of Republican Romans. I plan to start an Etruscan army for Gorgon Studios at some point as well. So, instead of LotR we can play some Ancients I've played WAB mostly). I haven't played Hail Ceaser but I have played Black Powder and hear they are similar in mechanics (just different periods). Plus, Jeremy has started and played WAB as well. :)

Jamie

That would be a good idea, let me do a little test drive.

I am looking at vikings as an army though.

Thanks
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby prion2001 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:58 pm

You should definitely pick an army and period that inspires you IMHO. Playing out of period is not preffered but it happens.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby socalwarhammer » Mon May 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Rich,
Do you think Hail Cesar is compatible with a tournament setting? Don't get me wrong, HC is a great game, but the scale would require more space than what we currently utilize at Adepticon. The minimum size game of HC per RP requires 4' x 8' tables, and most players (even playing 1 on 1 games) games recommend 5 or 6' x 8'. I have played a couple of games on a 5' x 8' table and it seemed to work okay, but I don't know if the system as a whole is the best set of rules for a tournament. HC is the greatest set of big battles rules out there...IMHO, just not for a tournament with 2 hours games.
Only the dead have seen the end of war....Plato

Check out my blogs at http://nwhistoricalwargames.wordpress.com/ & http://gigharbor40k.wordpress.com/
socalwarhammer

Next

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles