Ancients 2012/2013

In the grim darkness of the past?

Ancients 2012/2013

Postby RichN » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks to everyone who came out for one of the Ancients events. Results and mission packs are posted under Past Coverage/Adepticon 2012: http://www.adepticon.org/?page_id=2522

Feed back was very positive. The Friday night big game ran more smoothly than I could have imagined & everyone was insisting on big games for 2013. Early trends lead towards a Saxon English 800AD game - Mark Summers (resident terrain guru) is looking to build a mote and bailey castle... who are we to say no :D

Players in the WAB tournament enjoyed the missions - I seem to have gotten the right balance between creative and 'just let us play the game'. For awards, we no longer need a Sportsmanship award - everyone is having a good time and rarely is anyone anything other than 'above average'. What do we replace it with? 2nd place general, best historical theme, furthest distance traveled, best use of the color blue????

Would we want to reduce the game length in order to get in more events (or more sleep on Sunday morning)? Most of the games used the full 2.5 hours, but we could shorten rounds to 2 hours and finish early on Saturday and start at 8:30 on Sunday.

Volunteers are needed for 2013. Several people have already expressed an interest. To help with the event, email me at Richard1nelson at Hotmail.com or PM me here. Much of the work is done via email - being able to respond in 2-3 days is desirable. We need volunteers to take ownership of games from creation to Adepticon. We also need ringers for the two tournaments.

I will be adding some sort of Hail Caesar game to the schedule. Options include a big game on Friday or some sort of 2/3 game round robin event. Might also run more demo games out in the mail hall, looking to attract a few new players.

We drew 14 and 12 for the two tournaments. That's steady, but Adepticon generally grows events year to year. Any suggestions on how to attract new/more players to Ancients?

Event list 2013
Doubles Tournament- rules: WAB or CoE Judge: Matt time slot: Sunday
Singles Tournament- rules: WAB Judge: TBD time slot: Saturday
Dark Age big game- rules: WAB Judge: Mike B time slot: Friday pm
Saga tournament- rules: Saga Judge: Aaron L time slot: TBD (Saturday pm)
Hail Caesar event - rule: HC Judge: Rich time slot: TBD (Thursday pm/Friday am?)

**All events tentative until scheduled in the web cart.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Re: Ancients 2012/2013

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:42 pm

RichN wrote:Players in the WAB tournament enjoyed the missions - I seem to have gotten the right balance between creative and 'just let us play the game'. For awards, we no longer need a Sportsmanship award - everyone is having a good time and rarely is anyone anything other than 'above average'. What do we replace it with? 2nd place general, best historical theme, furthest distance traveled, best use of the color blue????

I agree with this for sure. Playing to the scenarios definitely affected the score instead of just trying to break your opponent, and I liked that.
As for a Sports award, I hadn't really thought about it, but I haven't played anyone yet in Ancients that I didn't enjoy. It's always been hard to pick the best.
Matt-J2

Postby aergren » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:03 pm

I know that I said this to you already Rich but I really really loves the missions this year and was a huge fan of the battle points and how they worked out, plus we got some super cool coins and I love getting free stuff. As for the Sports award I would like to see it kept around mostly because it is the award I know I like to win the most, and no that has nothing to do with winning it the last 2 out of 3 years in the team tourny :D . Otherwise I would vote to keep all of the prize to be based on the tournament and painting and not having to do with outside factors, like travel distance. However saying that if you want to give a price for distance travel I am all for it.

I hope that made some sort of sense.

For mega battles I would love to see something in the Middle Ages time period but then I might be a little biased as I am one of the few I know who have a army in that time period. Otherwise the earlier we can decided something the sooner I will hope on board playing it.

Thanks
Abe
aergren

Postby RichN » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Pat is talking about running a Chariot Wars big game to work with the PDF coming soon from ForgeWorld. He'll be looking for people willing to bring in figures for the game.

Matt Jayjack will be taking over the team event. Be sure to ask he lots of fun questions like how do Samurai and Numidians work together :lol:
RichN

Postby aergren » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Oh no Matt is running something. I know he is just scared to have to face Tony and I next year.
aergren

Postby RichN » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:27 pm

RichN

Postby Nostromo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:25 pm

I am interested on peoples take on theme for next big game-

If later Saxons, are we talking Hastings era, or Stamford Bridge?

I am looking a little earlier as well- Late Roman, Arthurian, Early Saxon, or a little more East and Byzantium?
I have got the Goths for it!
Nostromo

Postby netter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:19 am

Hi all,

For reference, I only played in the doubles event.

I'm not as keen on the "mega-battle" thing. This year I didn't have models to fit the time period so I signed up for another event. I would have preferred playing WAB.

The doubles scenarios were great. I can't suggest any meaningful changes to them.

Attracting new players is a tough question. My first thought would be to make connections with hobby stores in the Chicago area (say, within an hour). I've found that locals tend to be more reliable because the variables related to travel dissappear. Perhaps I could write an article for the main Adepticon site. Anything that pumps up the event or attracts attention should help.

All the same, it's tricky. For example, the guy I would normally have come with is getting married in June, starting a new job next week and has a number of personal commitments on top of all that. Next year I will drag him along.

John
netter

Postby RichN » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Nostromo wrote:I am interested on peoples take on theme for next big game-

If later Saxons, are we talking Hastings era, or Stamford Bridge?

I am looking a little earlier as well- Late Roman, Arthurian, Early Saxon, or a little more East and Byzantium?
I have got the Goths for it!

Mike Butcher has stepped up to run this event. I'll let him and Mark sort out the period details.
I lean towards an Arthurian/Early Saxon period as it gives me a reason to paint up the West Wind Arthurians I have (yes Mike - they are rather large 28s, you might want to look into them).
RichN

Postby toomanyarmies » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Hello All,

I had a great time at the Mega Battle on Friday night and I think it could be a great recruiting tool for next year.

I think the Mega Battle could be a great way to introduce new players into the WAB goodies at Adepticon. I think a big attraction to newer players would be in selecting a battle that there is a good model selection for and particularly plastic models. Jumping into Ancients from Fantasy, 40k, etc into the metal bulk that is many Ancients armies can be very intimidating. I would push for battles that have a good model range for the campaign/mega battle. Greeks (Warlord, Victrix), Romans(Warlord), Gaul/Celtic Barbarians(Warlord), Vikings(Gripping Beast, Wargames Factory), Saxons(Gripping Beast, Wargames Factory) Normans(Conquest Games Miniatures), Crusaders (Fireforge games), Early Persians (Wargames Factory) have some good plastic model ranges and would be easier to start an army with than some of the metal ranges out there.

We could have on the campaign website sample ancients armies that would work in the mega battle and than how many miniatures and regiment boxes one would need with links to sponsored websites. This could be an easy way to start an army and have prepared standard lists for the mega battle. There could be an addition to make the list ready for the Ancients Singles tournament on the Saturday and Sunday.

-Kevin

P.S. I am glad Rich got some great pictures of the Princes Crusade Mega Battle, and also glad that my ripped shorts have not yet made an appearance.
toomanyarmies

Postby EldarCorsair » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Rich, the armies this year sold me on WAB. I'll try to get in the Singles tournie next year with Vikings...I'll just have to reschedule running Necromunda by Night for another day!
EldarCorsair

Postby RichN » Tue May 01, 2012 9:22 am

A convert! We have good fun playing WAB, but we really need more players. We lost a few players this year due to a variety of misfortune/schedule/unpainted armies. Hopefully they will be back in 2013.

Jeremy, email me if you have questions or are looking for a few practice games. We generally play at John H's place in Cicero.
RichN

Postby Lordgoober » Tue May 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Next year if the schedule is good I'll have an EIR army in the singles myself.
Lordgoober

Postby Seanwolf1990 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:18 pm

I know this breaks the thread, sorry about that, but i was wondering where do i go to get some historical gaming in? I really want to get into it this. I'm thinking more warhammer ancients because of this forum but i do want to get into other systems like black powder/hail caesar.
Seanwolf1990

Postby RichN » Wed May 02, 2012 8:09 am

Sean, where are you located? The group I play with is in Cicero - playing mostly Hail Caesar with a bit of WAB. I might be able to get you in contact with a players in the city playing 15mm using Fields of Glory or maybe HC.
RichN

Next

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles