Low model count armies

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Re: Low model count armies

Postby BostonNazgul » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:57 am

Twenty Woses (with an immobilze assist from Radagast the Brown) took down the cave drake in 2 turns at the Gathering. Three wounds from poisoned blow pipes and 4 wounds from hand to hand combat. Two woses warriors died due to the lashing body of the drake for being trapped.

am i really going to have to go 1 year of listening to this? jeez, who got the 25 major victory points?
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:35 am

BostonNazgul wrote:
am i really going to have to go 1 year of listening to this? jeez, who got the 25 major victory points?

I don't recall those details. It happened to fast.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:29 am

I got a chance to drag out a new set of dwarves for a change of pace. Thirty nine models just seems so small.
1 Balin with Durn's Axe
8 Dwarf Warriors
4 Iron Guard

1 King's Champion
2 Heralds
6 Dwarves with shield
4 Dwarves with two handed axe

1 Shieldbear
12 Dwarf Warriors with dwarf bow

Points = 600
Might = 6
Models = 39

It's a small force, but packs as much punch as I can muster for the points. I hit Steve's Easterlings in To the Death and set up for a defensive bsttle. Steve's archery started tearing my archers apart so I had to come out of my hole. Steve abliged by not playing defensive enough and three turns later I was in charge range. His cavalry attacked my left flank which was anchored on two rock formations and held by the remnants of my archers, a quarter of my shield bearing dwarves and one herald. They held, but it was close. My heroes hit the center and everything left of it. I made a hole and then continued to chew through Steve's lines. My right flank was curling back with Steve's infantry pressing hard. Luckily Steve's cavalry on that flank had been redeployed to his rear which nuetralized them. I was poised to destroy his force the turn we quite. One more model and the game was going to end anyway. The dwarves did better then I expected.

The second game was against Gary's hastily assembled goblins. Gary forgot to buy spears, but otherwise had me badly outnumbered. He was proxying Grubash and I can attest that the goblins having a 5+ fury is obnoxious, not that Gary needed it. He rolled a string of 6s and blunted my heroic charges on many occasions. The game became a battle of tactical maneuver with Gary pushing my left flank back and me doing thesame thing to him on the right. Balin's bodyguard was in the thick of the fighting and was nearly destroyed with even Balin being wounded by the time the game ended. I managed to break Gary's force, though he still had all of his heroes intact. A couple of turns later we called it since it was getting late and I had started killing goblins at an alarming rate. His cave troll died nothing to me and then died. I was very happy to see that model go away.

Ringwraiths will be a nasty problem for small herocentric forces for sure.

Next on my agenda is to try out a few of my other smaller forces.
Last edited by Smeagol on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Dalamyr
2 Corsairs with shield
4 Half Trolls
6 Corsairs with shield and spear

Corsair Captain with shield
12 Corsairs with shield and spear

Corsair Captain with crossbow
12 Arbalesters

Points = 600
Might = 5
Models = 39

Small force, but it has a lot of firepower. The heroes are all FV 5 as are the four Half Trolls, but the Half Trolls are also strength 5. With Dalamyr's ability to stun targets and the Half Trolls' ability to destroy whatever they hit should make for some good fun. :-) Best part is I now have a use for my Half Trolls which have been sitting in a blister for the better part of a year.

Mumak with Haradrim Chieftain
12 Mahúd Warriors with blowpipes

1 Mahúd King with blowpipe, shield and war camel
7 Mahúd Camel Riders with blowpipe

Points = 599
Might = 4
Models = 22

Lots of high strength attacks. I need to consider how to get rappelling lines into the list. It's a small force and has limited ranged weaponry, but in an open field the cavalry and Mumak can make short work of most forces.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Druzhag the Beastcaller
1 Bat Swarm
9 Venom Backed Giant Spiders

Ashrâk
10 Venom Backed Giant Spiders

Points = 598
Models = 22
Might = 3

Lacks the Spider Queen, but at 700 points I can drop the batswarm and add her in. This will be a fun force to fiddle around with since the spiders are all idle otherwise.
Last edited by Smeagol on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Slightly modified version of the two beast masters going about their Mordor inspired tasks.
Druzhag the Beastcaller
8 Venom Backed Giant Spiders
1 Goblin Warrior with shield

Ashråk
7 Venom Backed Giant Spiders
1 Goblin Warrior with shield

1 Spider Queen

Points = 600
Models = 20
Might = 5
Last edited by Smeagol on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:45 pm

1 Khandish King with bow on chariot
12 Khandish Horsemen

1 Easterling Captain with shield on armoured horse
6 Easterling Warriors with shield
6 Easterling Warriors with shield and spear

1 Easterling Captain with shield
6 Easterling Warriors with shield
6 Easterling Warriors with shield and spear

Points = 600
Models = 39
Might = 6

I had a chance to take this force out against Steve's Easterling force last Friday. We played reconnoitre which was a first time for me. Looking at the forces Steve and I were fairly evenly matched. He had more cavalry and a drummer, but I had the better hero and it's harder to dismount my King than most other heroes.

I had priority and so rolled for my warbands first. Only my Khandish King's unit arrived on the table and I choose to deploy in the center of the table. Since we were playing on a 6 x 4 foot table I wanted to keep my options open with all the potential choke points. Steve managed to roll all three of his warbands onto the table and placed his cavalry on my far right flank with his infantry warbands with their small cavalry contingent center and left of my cavalry. Steve made for my right table corner in his first move. I choose to try and counter Steve's larger cavalry unit with the drum and for the next two turns it was a race for the corner as my first infantry didn't show up until turn three (as I recall). A heroic move placed my cavalry in combat with Steve's and my infantry finally showed up on my side of the table. I had them enter center and left to counter Steve's infantry. While the cavalry fought it out in the narrow passage on my right flank I got my lead infantry warband into the center choke point and brought Steve to a halt while he worked on combining his two warbands into one force and took pot shots at my mounted hero.

This gave me the time I needed to get my second infantry warband to link up with my first. Steve broke a small group of four infantrymen to make an end run through my center which was currently undefended. The battle degenerated into two major actions and two minor skirmishes. The cavalry fight on the right flank took most of the game with Steve battling to break through and me doing my best to hold him at bay. In the center our two infantry warbands went at each other. On the left I sent my mounted hero to try and counter Steve's smaller cavalry force from breaking and running around my flank. With luck I caught his cavalry and held them for the rest of the game. The four infantrymen making their way through the center were caught by four cavalrymen I sent to intercept them.

The end game saw me break Steve's force and took out his leader (+6 victory points). I eliminated the four infantrymen in the center without losses to my cavalry so I sent them off the table in the center. Ultimately I got five cavalry off the table (+5 victory points). My leader was wounded in the process so Steve got one victory point before I reduced his force below 25%.

I was sure I was going to lose this game due to seriously bad luck deploying my reserves against Steve's extremely good luck for the same. Playing conservatively and choosing to fight rather than just trade models across the table gave me a decisive win instead of the draw it would likely have become. So far I'm liking the warband changes and the new scenarios.
Last edited by Smeagol on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:05 am

I like my Easterling force a lot. This lead me to try and create a Good force that has pretty much the same strengths that my evil force has. Well it's not that easy as it turns out, but Rohan does give me the tools to be able to head to head with my Easterlings. Rohan isn't as weak as it was thanks to the changes.

1 Erkenbrand on horse
12 Westfold Redshields with throwing spears

1 Grimbold
12 Helmlingas with shield and throwing spears

1 Eowyn with armour and shield

Points = 597
Models = 39
Might = 7

This force gives me a boatload of shooters at close range. The archers are mounted which is how I like them. The cavalry is also FV 4 which makes them a strong fighting force. The infantry lacks spear support, but they are able to inflict harm at short range. They have strength four to counter defense six shield walls. All things considered I think this force is slightly better than my Easterling force. The cavalry has a higher defense than the Khandish horsemen, but otherwise they are identical. My infantry has a lower defense than the Easterlings, but their strength of four evens the playing field. I lack spear support, but the Rohirrim have a better ability to envelope and trap models since I can extend my line wider than my spear block opponents can manage.

I look forward to testing this force against Steve's Easterlings as they are very similar to my Easterlings so it'll give me fair test. My Mordor force is build similarly but is 25% larger. Numbers will be telling, but the Rohirrim are superior in everything except strength. Of course strength four against defense five doesn't gain the orcs warg riders anything. The Morannon orcs are strength four and defense six, but again this doesn't gain them any clear advantage against the Rohirrim. The orc heroes are also inferior in general, but the drummer makes the force faster. This would be another good fight I think.
Last edited by Smeagol on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Lordgoober » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:11 pm

Here's one I came up with while I was over at the Geneva store trying to fix some broken lances on gondor knights.

Warband 1: Imrahil w Lance and Armored Horse: 155 pts
Followers 1: 9 Mounted Knights of Dol Amroth 171 pts

Warband 2: Captain of Dol Amroth w Lance and Armored Horse: 75 pts
Followers 2: 8 Mounted Knights of Dol Amroth 152 pts
Mounted Knight of Dol Amroth w Banner: 44 pts

598/600 points
Might 5

That being said. This will pack a punch if it gets the charge off but if it doesn't win priority it's probably in huge trouble.
Lordgoober

Postby Smeagol » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 am

Lordgoober wrote:Here's one I came up with while I was over at the Geneva store trying to fix some broken lances on gondor knights.

Warband 1: Imrahil w Lance and Armored Horse: 155 pts
Followers 1: 9 Mounted Knights of Dol Amroth 171 pts

Warband 2: Captain of Dol Amroth w Lance and Armored Horse: 75 pts
Followers 2: 8 Mounted Knights of Dol Amroth 152 pts
Mounted Knight of Dol Amroth w Banner: 44 pts

598/600 points
Might 5

That being said. This will pack a punch if it gets the charge off but if it doesn't win priority it's probably in huge trouble.

Gary used a Gondorian cavalry force lead by King Elessar against Steve one afternoon. The cavalry charge on turn one caught Steve off balance and for the initial part of the game Gary hammered Steve's force. Ultimately Steve's numbers were telling, but only because Gary didn't withdraw once he'd done his initial damage. If he'd regrouped after taking down the Great Beast and initiated successive charges he could have repeatedly hammered Steve's force until it broke.

Pure cavalry lists have always been tricky to use. If you can master hit and run tactics then you will see good results with this force. Initial deployment is another factor. Being able to charge your opponent and not get charged in return is a very useful ability. With only five Might you will have to try and use priority as much as possible to your advantage.
Last edited by Smeagol on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 pm

My Galadhrim will be without their strongest heroes for as long as games hover at 600 points. Luckily I don't mind generic heroes.

1 Galadhrim Captain on galadhrim steed
10 Galadhrim Knights with eleven bow

1 Galadhrim Stormcaller
10 Galadhrim Warriors with shield and spear

1 Galadhrim Stormcaller
10 Galadhrim Warriors with shield and spear

Points = 600
Models = 33
Might = 4

I'm not sure how well this force will fair, but it is modelled on my most successful force template. With the point blank deployment options in the warband rules the Stormcallers could cause tremendous mayhem on turn one. Enemy cavalry that wants to get point blank will definitely hate life with two Stormcallers battering them in one turn. I saw how effective Elrond's Nature's Wrath could be on a force. So two Stormcallers should be a serious enough threat to deter my opponents from getting too close in their deployment. This in turn buys me archery time. Or at least that is the theory.
Smeagol

Postby Lordgoober » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Yeah. I figured that. I've got a more balanced Gondor one with 3 heroes (Faramir, Captain and Beregond) with 22 knights and 12 mounted citadel guard archers.
Lordgoober

Postby Smeagol » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:21 pm

Lordgoober wrote:Yeah. I figured that. I've got a more balanced Gondor one with 3 heroes (Faramir, Captain and Beregond) with 22 knights and 12 mounted citadel guard archers.

I like this force.
Smeagol

Postby Lordgoober » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:28 pm

I just have to build and paint up one more knight, paint a mounted faramir and paint up all the citadel guard since somehow one of my riders has disappeared on me (or more precisely the leftover horses were from my mounted banners from my WotR planning)
Lordgoober

Postby Smeagol » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:31 am

Smeagol wrote:1 Erkenbrand on horse
12 Westfold Redshields with throwing spears

1 Grimbold

1 Eowyn with armour and shield

Points = 597
Models = 39
Might = 7

I got the chance to take this force out against Steve twice last night. Once against his Mordor force of orcs with their Great Beast and once against his Easterlings. The Mordor battle was Reconnoitre and despite really lousy dice rolling on my part for shooting (like in I couldn't wound anything) the battle turned out okay. My cavalry was forced to try and handle the great beast and it was through the heroism of Erkenbrand that the beast was halted and then cut down. A task that would have been significantly easier if I had remembered that he had a +2 courage horn. My infantry lacks spear support, but.then so did the orcs I was facing. Though I was outnumbered by a full warband I was able to hit Steve one on one for the early part of the engagement. Well the first turn I had many on one then it converted to one on one. While the throwing spears weren't a significant part of th victory, they did make some important kills and I was able to keep from being overwhelmed. Ultimately I broke Steve's force, got two models off the table edge and killed his leader. All Steve managed was to wound Erkenbrand so a victory for the forces of Rohan.

The second battle was Domination versus Steve's Easterlings. Domination is a new scenario for me and this was my second fight with the Rohirrim. I made several mistakes and I kept getting priority the entire first third of the game which made approaching Steve's cavalry laden force hazardous at best. Ultimately I had to bite the bullet since I was losing the archery duel again. My flanks went in first with my middle unable to engage, but they still advance to provide much needed reinforcements later. First big mistake. Don't split my cavslry. Erkenbrand got dismounted early in the game and I didn't have enough cavalry on my left flank to make up for his loss of mobility. My left flank was quickly bogged down, then swamped and then crushed. My right flank went in one on one against Steve's Easterlings. My throwing soearsmwere pretty much useless given his defense, but the Grimbold upgrade meant that we were effectively fighting a fair fight. Not a good thing when my dice aren't being nice. Steve through his csvslry in to reinforce his left flank (the infantry on infantry fights) and I countered by throwing in my center as well. With my left flank crushed and my center now hard pressed to contain Steve's csvslry I choose to make a Heroic Com St it Eowyn and five of her friends which had trwpped a stationary cavalry model. This one fight had the potential to break open the middle to my advsntsge as I could spam Steve's leader and other csvslry befor his reinforcements arrived to rescue them. Steve rolled a six which beat my five (on six dice) and my Heroic Combat failed. I was not amused. I hate havung to rely on Heroic Combats. More often than not I fail to win. For Steve's part he had a few of his Heroic fights fail when he couldn't manage to kill the warriors he had trapped. So it went both ways in both of our games.

My center force was now my left flank and I did what I could to hold on while my right flank slowly eroded Steve's infantry down. Unfortunately I broke first and I only had Grimbold left for heroes. Steve was not happy to see only two of my warriors flee the battle and thus I was able to break him as well that turn. The. The bottom fell out as Steve's Khandish lead csvslry came to rescue his center and effectively crushed my new left flank for a second time. The last turn Steve wisely grabbed two objectives and contested a third. I was only able to claim one when I was reduced below 25%. So Steve managed a crushing victory in our second game.

His Easterlings are by far stronger than his Mordor force and i need to learn how to use the Rohirrim better. I might have to rethink taking throwing spears. They weren't all that useful in either fight.
Smeagol

PreviousNext

Return to Army Lists (LotR)