Low model count armies

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Low model count armies

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:54 am

Having delved into the heights of how big most of my combat proven forces can go there is the other side of my gaming scale. How viable are my low model forces. Most haven't seen play outside of the hobby store.

White council wizards version
Galadriel, Protectoress of Lothlorien
Saruman the White
Gandalf the Grey
Radigast the Brown

595 points, 4 models and 12 Might. Lots of spells and they can all deploy as one warband.

White Council elf version
Galadriel, Protectoress of Lothlorien
Gandalf the Grey
Elrond, Master of Rivendell
Legolas with eleven cloak

600 points, again 4 models and 12 Might points as well. Plus it has three spellcasters, three fighters, and three archers (okay Legolas isn't really three archers)

Arathorn's bane
Burhdur
6 Cave Trolls, 2 with spears

storming the gates of Minas Tirith
1 Mordor Troll Chieftain
2 Mordor Trolls

1 Orc Taskmaster
2 Mordor Trolls

The Witch King's dread host
1 Grishnak with shield
10 Mordor Stalkers

1 Barrow Wight
10 Spectres

1 Barrow Wight
10 Spectres

The Witch King's Dread Host is another of my favorites I was unable to do in LOME.

Dragon with fly and tough hide or wyrm tongue
1 Giant Spider

1 Spider Queen

1 Spider Queen

Dragon's nest (since the minimum number of models is 1)
1 Dragon with fly

1 Dragon with fly

Most of these have some play in one version or another. They all have their challenges, but if they are paired up against a good force then numbers isn't usually a problem. Some are fast enough that even if the engagement distances are longer than I want they are able to close ground fast. Four flying wraiths won the UK GT this year using LOME so small forces should be able to compete.
Last edited by Smeagol on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smeagol

Re: Low model count armies

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:09 am

I like the Witch King Dreadhost list

Never played the spectres or barrow wights, that could be fun, also the 2 dragon list I would have to read up on those to see how they work.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:24 am

I forgot the majestic eagles.

1 Gwaihir
5 Great Eagles

1 allied Ranger of the North.

It's got the speed and manueverability to take on a force one wqrband at a time, but once bogged down they are in trouble.

And then there is my Fanghorn force.
1 Treebeard
2 Ents

1 Gandalf the Grey

Truly a difficult force to play well, but when it works it works wonders.
Last edited by Smeagol on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby JLeong » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:37 am

I really like the Witch-King's dread host. With the blades of the dead special rule now applying to specters, you have a line that could actually inflict quite a decent amount of damage. The FV2 can be brought up in a fight by adding a Morgul Stalker. They themselves are an impressive combat force, and you can screen them behind the better armored specters as you advance.

The Eagles are a really cool force as well. Seeing that on the table would be worth it to me! All you have to do is take on the "wraiths on wings!"

I like the Elrond (elf) version of the White Council. I am really hoping we see some use from the Master of Rivendell-- i have longed to see that Wrath of Bruinen spell in action

I like that you've taken a look at the small forces available to you as well! One of the things I'm looking forward to the most about Warhost gaming is throwing down with a smaller force. I am determined to take a super-hero. 8)
JLeong

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:03 am

I've used the spectre as a force using the March to. Mount Doom format and they proved to be a strong force. They had their limits of course. Legolas would tear them up at range for instance. I'm looking forward to getting to play some of these smaller forces as well.

I've used the trolls before. They typically get hammered by much larger forces due to the model count issue. Not necessarily a tournament force, but definitely a fun force to fiddle with. The Eagles are a mixed bag. They're fast and fairly good in combat, but with only one Might point and their limited ability to inflict casualties they are really a lightweight force.

I've played the White Council only once before using all three wizards and Galadriel in war aspect. It was a tough fight, but ultimately it boiled down to breaking the opposing force and using Galadriel's -1 courage modifier to cause the force to run away. Of course the fact that I always rolled just enough to tie, and thus win, combats with her helped immensely. She was the MVP of that engagement. I'm thinking that Elrond's Nature's Wrath coupled with Gandalf's Strengthen Will can do a lot of damage to an opposing force. Especially if I can use water features to my advantage. Odds are I won't have water as a terrain feature though. Two sorecerous blasts are also very useful, but I found myself immobizing or commanding the heroes early on in the combat so that they lagged behind their warriors. This gave me local Might superiority for several crucial turns. With Legolas in toe I have the ability to move a hero into hamrs way and then to inflict that harm with Legolas. :-)
Last edited by Smeagol on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:17 am

I forgot my Terror in Arnor force.
Gulivhar

Barrow Wight

Allied Cave Drake

Allied Cave Drake

The three model force of Gulivhar and the Cave Drakes were a powerful force by themselves. They lost a couple of games, but only because Great Eagles were involved.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:12 pm

The cave trolls of Angmar are a seriously lightweight force. They were man handled by the White Council and once broken fled in a turn.

The White Council was adequate to the task of this battle, but too easy to catch. My spell management was less than perfect and dice were not nice to me. I'm going to have to rethink this force.
Last edited by Smeagol on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby EricA » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:25 pm

I actually used that treebeard list against Alexander's dwarfs a while ago and they did quite well before he just quit.

Heres another version of my hero army I took a long time ago

Radagast
Legolas w/ elven cloak, armor
Haldir w/ elven cloak, elven bow, armor
Rumil w/ elven cloak, bow
Thranduil
Gildor Inglorion

6 models
4 bows, 7 shots
16 Might
Eric Adams
EricA

Postby Smeagol » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:36 pm

EricA wrote:I actually used that treebeard list against Alexander's dwarfs a while ago and they did quite well before he just quit.

I tabled a dwarf force with that force. Gandalf kept bouncing Khazid Guard off Dain and wounding him. Funny the games we remember fondly. :-)
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:16 am

EricA wrote:I actually used that treebeard list against Alexander's dwarfs a while ago and they did quite well before he just quit.

Heres another version of my hero army I took a long time ago

Radagast
Legolas w/ elven cloak, armor
Haldir w/ elven cloak, elven bow, armor
Rumil w/ elven cloak, bow
Thranduil
Gildor Inglorion

6 models
4 bows, 7 shots
16 Might

Why Radigast instead of Saruman the White?
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 am

After looking at the rules I broke down and bought the Watcher in the Water model. Luckily I got a good cast so no issues there. I intend to use it with two of my cave drakes. The three beasts will hopefully see some action fairly soon so I can how badly I've "invested" my disposable income. :-)

Watcher in the Water (leader)

Cave Drake

Cave Drake

Points = 600
Might = 3
Models = 3

To the Death should be interesting since this force can't be broken. It can only be destroyed. The Watcher can pop up and dispose of any banners. Should be a tough fight no matter what I face.

Domination is tougher, but if I can manage to break my opponent then the Harbinger rule should see them off. The base sizes for the beasts make covering the objective relatively easy. If the game ends too early I'll probably lose.

Hold Ground is a tough one depending what I'm facing.

Lords of Battle isn't too bad. The maximum victory points I can surrender without being destroyed is 20. Regaining Might will be relatively easy since most heroes will be squishy in the larger forces. The smaller ones won't have the numbers to effectively swarm mine.

Reconnoitre is tougher than it looks. The force is fast and the Watcher can pop up on the opposing board edge, but I can't get my force below 25% without losing models or getting them off the table. Drakes are fast and ignore terrain, but they are still big based monsters that can be bogged down by lowly scruts. I'll have to play this one very carefully. I don't think the drakes can get across the table without the Watcher dragging models out of the way.

High Ground is a really tough scenario. I'll have to kill the enemy leader and break their force in order to offset numbers. With any luck the game will drag on long enough for their force to thin out with the harbringer rule and the combat prowess of the three beasts. Another tough scenario depending on the match up.
Smeagol

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:40 am

Curious list, I like it. It might be an interesting list to try.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby EricA » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 am

Smeagol wrote:Why Radigast instead of Saruman the White?

Well in this list I was trying to give everyone elven cloaks for missile defense and Radagast comes with an elven cloak. But, yes Saruman would probably be functionally better because he has sorcerous blast. However panic steed and aura of dismay are also nice.
Eric Adams
EricA

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:54 am

Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:Curious list, I like it. It might be an interesting list to try.

I assembled the Watcher last night, but given the way it mounts to the base I'll have to paint it first before I get to play with it. Too many unreachable parts once it's been fastened to the base. I expect to have to repair that thing multiple times. Those finecast material tentacles are fragile at best. I've rarely gotten to take my Drakes out for a run, but the couple of times I've seen them in play have been enjoyable. Though I've also seen Drakes beaten down by hordes of warriors and a couple of heroes.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Smeagol wrote:
Guardian of Ecthelion wrote: I've rarely gotten to take my Drakes out for a run, but the couple of times I've seen them in play have been enjoyable. Though I've also seen Drakes beaten down by hordes of warriors and a couple of heroes.

Twenty Woses (with an immobilze assist from Radagast the Brown) took down the cave drake in 2 turns at the Gathering. Three wounds from poisoned blow pipes and 4 wounds from hand to hand combat. Two woses warriors died due to the lashing body of the drake for being trapped.
BrentS

Next

Return to Army Lists (LotR)