Irresistable force vs. immovable object

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby under the gaze of the Lidless Eye...

Irresistable force vs. immovable object

Postby Smeagol » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Page 35 of the rulebook states that a mount with an attack and fight value of 0 automatically fail the courage test a mount is required to make when it loses its rider.

Aura of Command and the Banner of Arwen Evenstar both state that any friendly models automatically pass any Courage tests they are required to take.

Since we don't play with the Loose Mounts rule, this would appear to allow the forces of Good to dismount horses and not lose the horse. Of course there are only two spellcasters with this spell (Cirdan and Celeborn) and only Halbarad for the banner.

Thoughts?
Smeagol

Re: Irresistable force vs. immovable object

Postby ChrisLS » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Well, given that GW doesn't make any dismounted horses and it would be a pain in the tush, I'd say the "horse runs" rule would take precedence. Horses aren't really allies, IMO, but more neutral models. Of course, that isn't in the rules, but it should be. :P
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby Smeagol » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:07 pm

ChrisLS wrote:Well, given that GW doesn't make any dismounted horses and it would be a pain in the tush, I'd say the "horse runs" rule would take precedence. Horses aren't really allies, IMO, but more neutral models. Of course, that isn't in the rules, but it should be. :P

The Loose Mounts optional rule states otherwise. The issue of course is that it is a contradiction, but a horse is still a model once the rider dismounts. Riders of Rohan, that nobody uses anyway, can provide empty horses. :P
Smeagol

Postby ChrisLS » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 pm

So shouldn't another model then be able to mount it? It creates too much confusion. Allow the horse to be gone (ie no loose mounts rule) and be done with it.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby BrentS » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:37 pm

ChrisLS wrote:Well, given that GW doesn't make any dismounted horses and it would be a pain in the tush, I'd say the "horse runs" rule would take precedence. Horses aren't really allies, IMO, but more neutral models. Of course, that isn't in the rules, but it should be. :P

The plastic horses could be used as loose mounts.
BrentS

Postby Yakthor » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:09 am

Does this mean my orc trackers on Warg could voluntarily dismount the wargs and allow Black Guard of Barad-Dur to mount them?

I thought without the loose mounts rule, even if the mount stays, it cannot be remounted, only remains as an additional model. I suppose a F0 and A0 horse could be used to block LOS, interfere with movement, and trap models, but I don't see that as being particularly in the spirit of the game so would be uncomfortable using it in play myself.
Yakthor

Postby Smeagol » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:45 am

Yakthor wrote:Does this mean my orc trackers on Warg could voluntarily dismount the wargs and allow Black Guard of Barad-Dur to mount them?

I thought without the loose mounts rule, even if the mount stays, it cannot be remounted, only remains as an additional model. I suppose a F0 and A0 horse could be used to block LOS, interfere with movement, and trap models, but I don't see that as being particularly in the spirit of the game so would be uncomfortable using it in play myself.

No, the rules state only orcs can ride wargs. You can remount a warg. Again it's in the rules.
Smeagol

Return to Rules Discussions (LotR)