GW FAQs up for new books

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby under the gaze of the Lidless Eye...

GW FAQs up for new books

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:04 pm

You can find them >>here<<
Smeagol

Re: GW FAQs up for new books

Postby JLeong » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:28 pm

It's a GW Valentine! Thanks for the heads up!
JLeong

Postby Lordgoober » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

very sparse, no Kingdoms of Men FAQ.

Gandalf the White now has Sorcerous Blast.
Lordgoober

Postby Sajii » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:37 pm

So sorcerous blast only counts as an attack on the initial model, the other models knocked down do NOT count as casualties inflicted by the wizard. Interesting!
What, do I sign my name here or something?
Sajii

Postby prion2001 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Sweet. It looks like the link in the forum post we have as an announcement at the top of this forum takes you to these new FAQs.

I'll have to look them over and see what we have in store.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BrentS » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:39 am

Just got updated with several clarifications. Link above still works.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:55 am

They've fixed a few points of contention and now there is a good reason to use Kardush and Gildor. Which will make Steve and me (respectively) happy.
Smeagol

Postby Derg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Page 35 – Courage, At the Start of Each Move Once the Force is Broken. Change the second sentence to read “Your armyʼs Break Point is half this number, rounding up. This Break Point remains the same, even if the number of models in your army increases as the game goes on. If, at the beginning of a turn, the number of casualties suffered by your force exceeds your Break Point, your force is considered to be Broken.”

Does this affect how break tests work with mounted models?
Derg

Postby Smeagol » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:06 pm

No. Normal mounted troops that lose a mount are just converted to infantry models without losing a model. If the rider is killed then the mount runs and the force is reduced by one.

In the case of fighting mounts (wargs mostly) the break point remains the same. If you lose the rider, but the mount remains then you haven't lost a model. If you lose the mount, but the rider remains then you still haven't lost a model.

Now if you decide to spawn into two infantry models per warg rider (using Druzhag) then you have more models, but your break test number remains constant. So I start with fifty two models (16 are warg riders) with a break point of 26 dead. If I dismount the warg riders to increase my force count to 68, I am still broken at 26 dead models.

So basically this rule doesn't have an adverse effect on mounted troops. You just want to make sure you allocate any extra hits to the wargs after you kill the rider if you have any. Better to kill them then risk it sticking around as an infantry model.

For reference read farther down the FQ regarding loose wargs.
Smeagol

Postby Lordgoober » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 am

It also clears up the whole Great Beast of Gorgoroth issue and actually probably makes the thing a bit worse because it counts as 1 model for your army break point but will count as 11 dead models if all the orcs on top are killed.

I'm glad they cleaned up the Rider of the Dead issue.
Lordgoober

Postby Derg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:44 am

Let me ask another way,

If I hit a cavalry model, and the mount is killed, does it count as a casualty? The Rider? In the case of wargs, If the rider dies and the warg passes it's test and stays then the warg is later killed, does the warg count as a separate casualty?

Perhaps I misunderstood previously, but I've played some games in the past where broken was determined by having 25% or less remaining and not counting for 75% or more casualties, in which case wargs had a built-in advantage.
Derg

Postby Smeagol » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:05 am

You count models removed from play. Simple. Being broken means you have lost 50% of your models. Counting the numbers of models left on the table is how many of us count broken, but that leads to possible tricks such as spawning wargs. Typically I count the number of models that have been removed from play. In the case of the victory condition requiring that your force is reduced to 25% you can do the math in reverse. The game ends after you have removed 75% of your opponent's force as casualties.

Killing a mount does not remove a model. It just converts it to an infantry model. In the case of warg riders killing the rider doesn't necessarily remove a model. It may convert it to an infantry model. If you later kill the warg then you have removed one model from play and that counts as a casaulty. A model counts as a casaulty only after it has been removed from play, killing off parts of it doesn't count as removing the model.

So short answer is no it has no effect on game play for cavalry.

Note that Mumakil are not single models.
Smeagol

Return to Rules Discussions (LotR)