*** AWC Forums Updates ***

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

*** AWC Forums Updates ***

Postby Matthias » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:02 pm

It is finally time to bring the AWC forums up to speed. There is a major upgrade for the phpBB software and this site is pretty far behind the times.

I am going to run a conversion starting Monday, Feb. 6th. I will try to get the forums (with history intact) up as soon as possible and worry about the skin/look of the site later.

To that end, the forums will most likely be down tomorrow for a good portion of the afternoon. I say most likely because real life/work could very well sidetrack me at any point.

I'll most likely also be getting rid of the WordPress side of the site, as it is woefully underutilized and turning AWC into a true forum site (which is how 100% of people use it anyways).
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Re: *** AWC Forums Updates ***

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:29 am

OK - site has been migrated. I will redirect the old /forums path to here later today.

I'll also work on the the theme and all that so the site might change from time to time.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:52 am

Looks nice, Matthias!

I also love the fact I can see my embedded links. Thanks for the work I know went into this!
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

Postby BrentS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Looks good Matt.

Any chance the new skins will be changing from the current colors... my (colorblind) eyes can't differentiate between the color scheme for forum sub-headings that have new messages from those that don't have new topics.
BrentS

Postby YeezyMozart » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:18 pm

BrentS wrote:Looks good Matt.

Any chance the new skins will be changing from the current colors... my (colorblind) eyes can't differentiate between the color scheme for forum sub-headings that have new messages from those that don't have new topics.

I like the idea of some different skins grays and whites just not my style.

But OMG I love the Logo NICE WORK!
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Brent,

Are you talking about the little circular graphic to the left of each subforum?
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby BrentS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Matthias wrote:

Brent,

Are you talking about the little circular graphic to the left of each subforum?

Yes. When viewing the list of sub-forums, I can't tell which ones have new responses. When I look really closely, I can see a slight color difference but its not like before with the old black color scheme. Once I'm inside a sub-forum, its easy to tell where the new responses are as there are clickable icons that lets me go to "new" messages in a thread.

Ditto above... I like that new graphic!
BrentS

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:29 pm

I added the updated version of the theme from the old board. It isn't 100% the same, but close.

To change your theme - click the User Control Panel link near where it shows you how many massages you have. The click Board Preferences and change My Board Style to proBlack.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby YeezyMozart » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Matthias wrote:I added the updated version of the theme form the old board. It isn't 100% the same, but close.

To change your theme - click the User Control Panel link near where it shows you how many massages you have. The click Board Preferences and change My Board Style to proBlack.

OMG So much better for me looks great!!!

Thanks,

Alan
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Redbeard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Thoughts:

I got an email from the site saying I had a PM. (That's good). The address it claimed to come from was your (Matthias) gmail account. (That's bad). The notification arrived with the right date/time, and in a timely manner (That's good). But it didn't contain the text of the PM, like they used to. (That's bad).

Just stuff to look at when you get time.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Redbeard wrote:Thoughts:

I got an email from the site saying I had a PM. (That's good). The address it claimed to come from was your (Matthias) gmail account. (That's bad). The notification arrived with the right date/time, and in a timely manner (That's good). But it didn't contain the text of the PM, like they used to. (That's bad).

I doubt I will continue the text in the email thing. I hacked that together last time and I cannot tell you how many people would then respond to the email instead of logging into the forum and responding to the PM. The replies would go to the admin address.

Still working on settings - had to set up the board as me first since I was changing the admin/user account over on the cPanel side. That will change soon.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby BrentS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Matthias wrote:I added the updated version of the theme form the old board. It isn't 100% the same, but close.

Works great. Thanks!
BrentS

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Redbeard wrote:Thoughts:

Hmmmm..actually looks like someone finally wrote a MOD for this that works with 3.0.X. I'll look into it.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Matthias » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Ok - PM messages should now be included in the notification e-mails...just remember that you cannot reply to that e-mail, as those responses will go to the info@adeptuswindycity.com address and not the originator of the PM. Notification emails often end up in Spam/Junk folders, so watch for that.

I also added the last post title to the Last Post column on the main page. You can click this and it will take you directly to the last post in that topic.

Working on a Recent Topic custom page, although that might take some time.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Redbeard » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Next

Return to News & Rumors