Daemons Nurgle Intent

Post and review Warhammer 40K army lists.

Daemons Nurgle Intent

Postby RAMSEY » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Here's a few thoughts about a Daemon army I am starting. Staying with a Nurgle theme because I like the coolness of the army and I am not being competative with it.

300 - Hu'Gath
110 - Epidemis

105 - PB x 7
105 - BP x 7
130 - BP x 7 Icon
130 - BP x 7 Icon

230 - x2 DP MON, IH,Flight, BoC

160 - SG Tongue

1500 Total

When going to 1850 I will and...

95 - Herald BOC, Palanquin

105 - BP x 7

Then add in 2 more BP per squad.

I haven't played a Daemon list before but am sure someone else has played something close to this.

Thanks all.
Last edited by RAMSEY on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:04 pm

2 years ago:
Your squads of plague bearers are too small. You should have at least one maxxed out squad to hide epidemius in. I'm also not sold on HugeAss - the basic Great Unclean One is a good buy for the points. You'll have a hard time making your points back with the special character. You might also consider using some of those points for a second daemon prince (possibly losing the soul grinder in the process) as these are more useful for getting your tally going.

Today:
You don't have any reliable way to get people out of their transports - this list simply will not work against anything resembling competitive play.

If you're just in it for fun, go for it. But I wouldn't bring it to a tournament these days. Also, if you're looking to just play for fun, a plague hulk is better than a soul grinder in an epidemius army, as are blight drones.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Lord Krungharr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:52 pm

I agree with Redbeard on the Plaguebearer unit sizes, I like running at least 15 with Epidemius hiding in there. 20 is better because you can really string them out for extra enemy annoyance.

I think you should go 2 to 3 bigger Plaguebearer squads and a maxed out unit of Nurglings (coming in the 2nd wave). If your Tally is good by then, the Nurglings can actually tear enemies up, and they move/assault the full 6".

What's BoC on a Nurgle Daemon Prince? Bolt of Change? I'd give him Cloud of Flies, maybe Daemonic Gaze, rarely Breath of Chaos. Ku'Gath's Necrotic Missiles have served me well in the past, and since it's rending that can add to the tally, if you can first get those transports cracked open. Against footslogging Orks or Tyranids this list might actually do okay. Too bad Beasts of Nurgle don't count as Beasts, otherwise I would buy some.

But has there been a GW or INITFAQ ruling that says the Blight Drones and Plaguehulk are in fact followers of Nurgle to count towards Epidemius' tally?
I would certainly count them for it, but in their rules it doesn't specifically mention it.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Redbeard » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:29 pm

How do you know that nurglings are daemons of nurgle? How do you know that beasts of nurgle are daemons of nurgle? None of these have a mark, or 'rules' to indicate this, only their names.

Plaguebearers of Nurgle
Blight Drone of Nurgle
Plague Hulk of Nurgle

I know it seems kind of self explanatory, but, really, if you demand to see a rule that makes a Blight Drone be a follower of Nurgle, you pretty much have to expect to see that same rule for other units, and it's not there. We're expected to figure this out by the name, which is pretty blatant and non-ambiguous.

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Lord Krungharr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Besides being things with the Mark of Nurgle, Daemons of Nurgle also count towards the tally, and anything in the Daemons Codex counts as Daemon.

But I definitely agree with your point, it's in the name so it should be how they are.
Lord Krungharr

Postby Redbeard » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Lord Krungharr wrote:Besides being things with the Mark of Nurgle, Daemons of Nurgle also count towards the tally, and anything in the Daemons Codex counts as Daemon.

Right, I agree. But how do you know, other than the name, that any of those other things are daemons of Nurgle. They're in the daemon codex, so they're daemons. There is no rule, or characteristic applied to any of them, however, to let us know that they follow Nurgle. The only reason we know that Plaguebearers are Nurgle Daemons is because of their name. If you take away the name, there's nothing else that indicates which god they belong to.

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Turtle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 am

on a quick side note, a daemon prince with the mark of nurgle can't take a bolt of change. You have to have the mark of tzeentch to be able to take that gift.
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Postby RAMSEY » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:35 am

BoC = Breath of Chaos which will glance on a 4+ then the assault phase the DP should get troops out of transports. The hard time will be dealing with and vehicle with a high AV for back armor. Ku'gath with the missiles will help and the SG with tongue.

Is there a way to keep the list all Nurgle and still be competitive?
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby Lord Krungharr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:27 pm

I would also like to see if there could be a competitive Nurgle Daemons list. Gotta do some more playtesting.

However, I think without Blight Drones or more shooty stuff it could be tough. And not all tournaments will permit Forgeworld units.

The Breath of Chaos can very useful, usually in multiples however (like on Flamers of Tzeentch). So I think that is a good Daemon Prince choice even though it's another 30 points.
Lord Krungharr

Return to Army Lists (40K)