The new Armies of Antiquities

In the grim darkness of the past?

Postby prion2001 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:06 am

Does anyone know if this book is part of the half off sale? It doesn't appear to be which is strange since the half off sales mentions a price cut for ALL Warhammer Historical books. I've emailed but never heard back. I'd get it now if I got a deal, otherwise, i might as well wait as I could get it for the same price listed anytime.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby RichN » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:31 am

The AoA book was released after the start of the 50% off sale. I presume its not part of that sale.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Thogrid » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:36 am

prion2001 wrote:Does anyone know if this book is part of the half off sale? It doesn't appear to be which is strange since the half off sales mentions a price cut for ALL Warhammer Historical books. I've emailed but never heard back. I'd get it now if I got a deal, otherwise, i might as well wait as I could get it for the same price listed anytime.

Jamie

Happy New Year all!

AoA v2 is definitely not part of the 50% off sale. I'm still wiating for the charge to hit my CC with the conversion rate etc, but with shipping split between 5 guys it looks like it'll come in around $49.00.
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Postby socalwarhammer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:32 am

mikebutcher wrote:My copy arrived today (in less than a week... not bad). Points are adjsuted a lot as well as army %s, etc. at least for the lists I quickly looked over. Berber spearman are 12 points in AoA vs 7 in El-Cid for example. I am pretty pot commited to running my berbers from El-Cid at least for Adepticon. Mixing AoA and current supplements might be tough, especially as not everyone is going to have AoA at this juncture....
My 2 Cents.

One of the early issues last year is that not everyone had had the time to purchase and get a good grasp on WAB2. I think everything went off okay in retrospect. I think the rules clarifications in the beginning of AoA2 are fairly important, in particular Wedge, Characters and Allies & Mercenaries.

I would encourage we go with one or the other, not both.
Only the dead have seen the end of war....Plato

Check out my blogs at http://nwhistoricalwargames.wordpress.com/ & http://gigharbor40k.wordpress.com/
socalwarhammer

Postby RichN » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:20 am

Are the rules new for WAB or new to support the lists in AoA?
RichN

Postby mikebutcher » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Well, don't have my book here... But I think they clarify WAB2 for the most part, although a few are new to AoA2, such as the Saxon Shieldwall that can move and retain shieldwall (Huzzzah!). Note that many of the army special rules are explained in the respective army list pages, which is 2 pages total each army for almost all of the bazillion armies listed in AoA2.

I agree on one or the other (in reference to AoA2 or not...) after some more reflection on the topic.

I worked up lists for two of my current armies, Berbers and Saxons (2000 points for older supplements and 2800 points for AoA2). A viable list can be had from either book, but I think they will play very different. I would take AoA2 Saxons over regular Shieldwall any day. Berbers would require a significant change for me and my style as they can only be up to 50% infantry in AoA2, but again, doable.
Although not everyone will have access to AoA2, I think the tournament crowd guys will for the most part or can marry up with someone who has the book. AoA2 (IMHO) is a bit "plainer", but definatly much clearer and easy to use (vs. say making a list out of Age of Arthur, which always seemed to befuddle me).

Haven't looked at the greeks yet, there many options for greeks in AoA2 to roll with.

-Mike
Last edited by mikebutcher on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikebutcher

Postby Lordgoober » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm still waiting for my copy to show up and I ordered mine on the 19th. Hopefully it will show up tomorrow.
Lordgoober

Postby RichN » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Rule set updated to include specifications for using AoA.
RichN

Previous

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles