The new Armies of Antiquities

In the grim darkness of the past?

The new Armies of Antiquities

Postby Nostromo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:55 pm

So I happened to have some time on a plane and decided to catch up on Wargames Illustraged- Rick Priestly stated that the WAB2 AoA was coming out 'soon'- in context to having new rules for Shieldwall- i.e. ones that can move- always a pet peeve of mine and now maybe I would do my Arthur army as Romano-Brets would be a lot better if shield wall moved!

Anyway, the question is-

What would be our cutoff date for army book publication to be eligible to be used?
Nostromo

Postby RichN » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:02 pm

In the unlikely event that Warhammer Historical was to publish a supplement for WAB, the book would need to be generally available by 3-1-12.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Nostromo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Rich-

The power of positive thinking!

It was Martin Gibbs as well, not Rick-
Nostromo

Postby RichN » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:57 pm

While new rules for shield wall could be a welcome addition - it would create all sorts of crazy if it were a late addition to the Adepticon rule set.
RichN

Postby socalwarhammer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:48 pm

As long as AoA includes a Pyrrhic army list, I will be happy.

I agree, while it might just be wishful thinking, but Martin G. is the source of the information. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it might be out sometime around the new year...but I am not holding my breath.
Only the dead have seen the end of war....Plato

Check out my blogs at http://nwhistoricalwargames.wordpress.com/ & http://gigharbor40k.wordpress.com/
socalwarhammer

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Given the lead time I'm attempting to give myself, I'm hoping it comes out really, really soon(as in, yesterday) or not early enough for A-Con.

Or option C, that I can use whatever material I set up the army as, even if it gets altered by the AoA. As of now it's a non-issue, I haven't decided on what I'm bringing yet, but I will soon.
Matt-J2

Postby Lordgoober » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm not planning on playing in the tournament but if someone wants to give me a teaching style game some time during the weekend, I'm currently working on 2-3k of Imperial Romans based off the rule book stuff. I've currently got a Warlord Games Imperial Roman Starter Army that I'm currently building. I'm probably going to try to get some more auxiliaries next and then probably a Scorpion Battery.
Lordgoober

Postby socalwarhammer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:19 pm

That is a really solid start. You can't ever go wrong with Romans. I will be arriving at Adepticon on Thursday afternoon. On Thursday night and Friday afternoon I should have some open time. Maybe we can get a game in.

Check out my blogs at http://nwhistoricalwargames.wordpress.com/ & http://gigharbor40k.wordpress.com/
socalwarhammer

Postby socalwarhammer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:17 am

Without going into too much detail...I just got information from a reliable source that it is not likely that AoA will see the light of day anytime soon (if at all).

socalwarhammer

Postby RichN » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:15 am

Not too surprising. The big sale was a hint that Warhammer Historical is not long for this Earth.
RichN

Postby Lordgoober » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:59 am

That makes things somewhat interesting because I saw a comment on WABforums that apparently all the army lists that were going to be in AOA and apparently the 2 lists in the WAB 2.0 rulebook were being designed such that 2800 points of those armies were going to be approximately the same model count as 2000 points of pre WAB 2.0 supplements. I don't have a copy of the WAB 1.5 rulebook myself so I can't compare the stock Imperial Roman lists myself.
Lordgoober

Postby Matt-J2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:53 pm

Sad if true, but as Rich said, not too surprising.
That HC demo is looking more and more interesting by the day, Rich. ;)
Matt-J2

Postby Lordgoober » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:01 pm

yeah. and currently at amazon you can get the main book for $34 + change new.
Lordgoober

Postby RichN » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 pm

@Lordgoober: the points costs of the Roman and Barbarian lists in V1.5 and V2 are the same. I saw those same rumors on the WAB forum about new point costs, frankly - I was rather worried about trying to run tournament with two different points systems available for army construction.

@Matt-J2: I hope it is looking tempting. We are having a blast with HC right now. With "official" lists coming out from Warlord, the one gap for the casual gamer is filled. The only other issue is needing to paint up the larger number of troops HC will support on the table top. But since when is a bigger battle a problem :) The game is also very well styled for multiplayer - I think this is one of the rare games where the rule designer started with multiplayer and worked back to 1v1 rather than the other way around.
RichN

Postby Nostromo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:01 pm

I don't put too much into the half price sale-
they have done that before-
they ran the buy one/get one half off for quite some time as well- and with free shipping.

Marketing doesn't mean close-out.

I picked up Kampfgruppe Normandie at half off as well, and there are a couple books planned for that too with playtesters out there....
Nostromo

Next

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles