WYSIWYG - Galadhrim vs./as High Elves

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby under the gaze of the Lidless Eye...

WYSIWYG - Galadhrim vs./as High Elves

Postby LongFang » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:15 am

Just a quick question - since the Galadhrim are all plastic now - making them MUCH more affordable and available, and the High Elves are plastic/metal (not to mention plastics being a multi-army kit) - would there be an issue with using Galadhrim Models for their High Elf equivalent - as long as they are counted as high elves, and there is no Galadhrim ally?

This also includes a tournament setting, such as B3...
LongFang

Re: WYSIWYG - Galadhrim vs./as High Elves

Postby febber » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:27 am

LongFang wrote:Just a quick question - since the Galadhrim are all plastic now - making them MUCH more affordable and available, and the High Elves are plastic/metal (not to mention plastics being a multi-army kit) - would there be an issue with using Galadhrim Models for their High Elf equivalent - as long as they are counted as high elves, and there is no Galadhrim ally?

This also includes a tournament setting, such as B3...

That's a question best left to tournament organizers. I, for one, don't like to see entire armies proxied for another, especially since the two versions of the elves have distinctive sculpts. If you do proxy, I would make sure they ar eat least WYSIWYG with respect to wargear.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby LongFang » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:31 am

That answers my question, thanks! It's just a lot of conversion work, that would have been easier (and cheaper) to avoid. I just have to figure out where to get extra shields...
LongFang

Postby BrentS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:57 pm

My inclination would be to allow it. Obviously, if the army was a mix of High Elves and Galadrim I would be less likely.

While I appreciate the aesthetic differences in the two sets of models, I understand cost and "ease" to use are realistic concerns.

In my mind, this isn't all that different than using Modor Orcs to proxy for Trackers or WoMT to proxy as Osgilath vets (perhaps with some conversion).

So, I suppose what I'm saying is that I would allow it for BBB if that's what you wanted to use. However, like Frank, I would "prefer" to see High Elves used as High Elves.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm a bit of a model purist myself. My orc trackers are trackers even the moutned ones. I've also looked at converting the Galadhrim into Hight Elves and the easiest conversion is a simple head swap. I haven't tried any yet, but at least the helmets will be correct. The shields are an aesthetic detail I'm not too worried about.

I need to remember to swap out my Celeborn model's High Elf shield for a Galadhrim version to make him fit with his own fighting force.
Smeagol

Postby febber » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:13 pm

BrentS wrote:My inclination would be to allow it. Obviously, if the army was a mix of High Elves and Galadrim I would be less likely.

While I appreciate the aesthetic differences in the two sets of models, I understand cost and "ease" to use are realistic concerns.

In my mind, this isn't all that different than using Modor Orcs to proxy for Trackers or WoMT to proxy as Osgilath vets (perhaps with some conversion).

So, I suppose what I'm saying is that I would allow it for BBB if that's what you wanted to use. However, like Frank, I would "prefer" to see High Elves used as High Elves.

I think there is a fundamental difference between using models as proxies is in the absence of sculpts for those models and then using them when their are. I always use tracker models for trackers on foot; for mounted trackers, there are no "tracker" models and it's either do difficult conversions or proxy. Same with Goblin prowlers; they are sculpted only with 2 handed weapons yet are better employed in other guises, meaning weapon swaps or proxies.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby BrentS » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:55 pm

febber wrote:

I think there is a fundamental difference between using models as proxies is in the absence of sculpts for those models and then using them when their are. I always use tracker models for trackers on foot; for mounted trackers, there are no "tracker" models and it's either do difficult conversions or proxy. Same with Goblin prowlers; they are sculpted only with 2 handed weapons yet are better employed in other guises, meaning weapon swaps or proxies.

I understand what you are saying... however, I'm still "guilty" of using Mordor Orcs on foot as trackers. My orc force, in an effort to make sure every orc is unique, uses all sorts of different "orc" bowman.

I'll stand by my opinion but am certainly mindful of others views.
BrentS

Postby Slammers77 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:07 pm

I've always used Morannon Orcs as Mordor Orcs because I hate the Mordor plastics. They are equipped WSYWIG though. That is the big thing, as long as I know what they are I don't care. As long as they were all High Elves, I wouldn't have an issue. But if it was the blue and gold are Rivendell and the red and gold are Lothlorien, I would have an issue.

John
Slammers77

Return to Rules Discussions (LotR)