One Big Momma-honkin Game

Discussion concerning the latest version of the Epic 40K game system.

One Big Momma-honkin Game

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:50 am

Well, Adepticon is over and I was wondering if anyone might be interested in another big game like we did last year at the bunker. We don't have to do it as large, but a big game might be fun. Which races would you like to do and would you maybe want to do a three-way? Just some thoughts.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:12 am

I'd definitely be up for it!

My notes indicate I have 19,300pt of IG to contribute, mostly painted, or 11265pt of Eldar, of which the balance is probably unpainted or partially painted. I could probably scrounge up in the range of 6k in Orks too, but again, they are mostly unpainted attm.

Actually, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that I could reach 22,300 in Guard, but it would require buying the remainder of my Vanaheim. I also am looking forward to a Leviathan, but that fits poorly into my TO&E until I get further along in my Cadians.

Expound apon the three-way concept more. I'm interested to see how you'd do that.
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 am

Always up for this. Now that AdeptiCon is over I should have time for an occasional Epic game..
Real battles are fought in 6mm!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Chad and I managed to talk a little about this game today. Here are the thoughts on setup and forces involved.

6 players minimum. 3 or more Tyranid (or possibly Ork) 2 or more Imperial Guard, perhaps one Space Marine (maybe two space marines or even a whole stand of them... :roll: ), and one or two Eldar.

The game would take place over three tables. Two would be in either an L-shape or a T-shape, with Imperial task forces at each short end, and the main Tyranid swarm at the intersection of hte two tables. There would be a smaller blocking swarm on a secondary table, opposing the Eldar, who would be attempting to reinforce the Imperial battleline to stave off some foreseen threat to an Eldar Craftworld.

As of yet there are no dates, times or any other specifics for this game. However, I'd like to see a show of hands of who would potentially be interested in such a scenario. The earliest it would occur would be June or July.

John, I'm hoping we can use your 'nids, but there are enough Orks floating around to make do in the event you are unable to attend. If you are interested, and don't mind others using your models, how many points are you able to field?

In terms of Imperials, we would likely need no more than one Space marine player, and up to three Guard players. While Chad and I are able to bring around 25k in IG between us, it is unavoidably tilted in the direction of armor by my own collection, which includes something like 9k of Tanks and Superheavies at last count. More Infantry would be appreciated. It is likely that we will be set on the Eldar front, with perhaps 17k between Chad and I, but if someone wishes to use their own collection, more power...
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:34 pm

As an addendum:

If we do use Tyranids, we as a group need to look over the current ruleset and decide what to use. It looks like the racial rules are mostly hammered out, but there's still some fluidity on Spawning, and the unit stats and lists are next on the block. Just an FYI.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Fortunately, there will probably be less prep work for this one. Tyranids would probably be an interesting choice over, say, Necrons as only two of us can field Necrons and only about 12k. I wouldn't mind doing Necrons in the future. I'm not sure that we need to go as large as last time, but I am open.

Did we learn lessons from the last time? It was our first really big game. Were people happy with how it went? Constructive criticism, please.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Playing against 12k of Necrons seems awfully masochistic. Oh, wait, you wouldn't be playing against them, would you.

I agree 'nids are choice 1, followed by Orks, as an antagonist.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Lordgoober » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 pm

You know we have my Marines if we need them and hell maybe they'll actually see PLAY this time......
Lordgoober

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:36 pm

Not bitter are we? ;)
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Actually, I really want Robert's marines to play as the Ultra marines have those Tyranid veteran squads. Say they CC nids at a 3+ and assault marines at a 2+. It would add more to the story behind the game.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:16 pm

I think we have to be wary of adding too many factions and players to the game. IMO we should attempt to have 1 more Tyranid player than we have allied (Imp/Eldar) players. So sdding the Ultras would mean 1 Eldar, 2 Guard, 1 Space Marine, and 5 Nid. Can we get 9 players? I'm not sure, but it needs thought. Alterantively, we could reduce the numbr of Imperial Guard players, or just make the SM force smaller (say 1.5-2k instead of 3k), and be able to stay at 4 Nid players, but that would likely make the 'nid margin too slim.

I'm not saying we shouldn't include them, but we need to be careful of how it's done.

We also need to see if 'nids can survive a Guard charge down the length of a table. Even if we make a deep (say 60cm) deployment zone on the long leg of the L, that's a 180cm no man's land.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Postby angron888 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:28 pm

You guys cam have the Nids but I won't have time to paint them or play.
angron888

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Chad, unless we can get more interest, this is a dead fish.

I think it is better to see about revitalizing the SG club, whether it be with a new night, some sort of tournament or campaign (single or cross-system) or otherwise.
SG

Spectrar Ghost

Return to Epic: Armageddon